Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Do you know when the new one is to be released?

No they have not announced. I originally heard mid summer.

Itā€™s a good idea to check reddit or the college parent page. All the parents for our school have said BBB and Target/Walmart around move-in time is a madhouse and they run low on stock. Iā€™m getting in a day early and driving to a different area to find things. I canā€™t deal with crowds as it is and school shopping is my least favorite thing to do.

1 Like

Madhouse is an understatement! We ordered for pick up at the Target in Ithaca. I did it about a week beforehand. Using the app is also great they have a whole dorm section and I find the app sometimes actually easier than the website but the website is good for just taking a look. Amazon also has prime day this year in the summer, I think June. No matter how hard I try, I always wind up stuck with stuff at my house and shipping to school, so I guess this year for my son I can at least drive it. My girls both will be in their apartments way before freshmen come. Iā€™m not sure how much I really need to do for them, but as theyā€™re brand new apartments, I am kind of excited for them to get stuff and figuring out dishware etc because itā€™s probably high time they stop using paper.

Speaking of apartments. My one daughterā€™s bathroom in her apartment we noticed doesnā€™t have a medicine cabinet. Does anyone have good suggestions for what to use to keep all of that stuff organized? Anything cute? I just realized I didnā€™t pay attention to see if the vanity has any drawers, but it definitely has a full sized cabinet underneath. I donā€™t want her to put anything over the toilet as that seems to be an easy place to accidentally knock something into the toilet. If itā€™s TP thatā€™s one thing, but a place for meds, etc no. TIA

When you do Pack and Hold at BBB or similar service at a place like Target, you choose your items ahead of time at your local store. Those items are then pulled from the shelves of the store in the college location on the same day you are at your local store (they can tell you immediately if the college store has the items in their inventory). The college location then holds those items for the customer until a specific date. That way, there is no running around, no worries about things not being on stock, etc. b/c everything is taken from inventory on the day you select your items (for us, this was in mid-July) and then held for you separately (we picked up our items end of August). We even went back on the day of move in to return an over the door mirror that didnā€™t fit due to the door frame, but did not experience a madhouse. Busy, but the store was well staffed and prepared and lines were not long.

This is just my experience with one of my two currently in college. Our next one, we drove to college and moved him in ahead of time b/c he plays a fall sport, but we didnā€™t need to buy anything near his college. We are driving S21 as well and should have everything we need ahead of time.

Your plans sound wise, but just wanted to point out for others who are flying and may not have the option to go to a location that isnā€™t near their college, that the Pack and Hold that box stores offer should be a pretty easy option.

3 Likes

The store held your items for about 6 weeks? Wow. This opens up a lot of possibilities for us.

1 Like

Did Target end the program? I donā€™t see any recent info about it. BBB says to stay tuned because they are revamping theirs.

1 Like

The BBB program is awesome. What a time saver.

@srparent15 Dang it! Why did I forget about Prime Day? I usually know ahead of time, too. Now Iā€™m regretting buying some of the things early. LOL.

D just found out that there is a three day dance intensive before freshman orientation begins, so I need to add a few days to our trip. Iā€™m glad they told her now so we have time to change our accommodations. Weā€™ve decided to put the whole flying thing to bed and accept we are driving. My D really thinks itā€™s important to visit her sister in England at Christmas- theyā€™ve never spent a Christmas apart- so all dollars of everyone will be going toward that at her request.

5 Likes

Iā€™m curious about Target too. I have ordered online to home and today made a circle order to be picked upā€¦but not sure how long they would hold that before reshelving. Anyone know?

For regular orders for pick up at store they cancel within 3 days or so if you donā€™t pick up. I had them cancel my order before. The college pick up appears to be a separate program, but I donā€™t see any info on it.

1 Like

It might reappear later, closer to fall move-in.

1 Like

@creaky, Yep, six weeks! We did it in mid-July and she moved in Labor Day weekend. Typically in the summer, BBB will start advertising their ā€œcollege eventā€ days where they will showcase the ā€œpack and holdā€ offer and show you how to do it. Itā€™s basically like setting up a registry in that you can walk around the store with a scanner and scan everything you want to add. You can also do it from a computer but we wanted to see things in person. They then went onto their computer and were able to tell me exactly which items were not in stock at the store where I was picking up (b/c once you submit your list, they pull everything from the shelves w/in 24 hours and put aside in a large bin for you). They printed out the list for me, so I could see what was not in stock. This enabled me to get those items elsewhere, as well as price shop the other items in case I found cheaper elsewhere. You do not pay until you pick up - so you can decide when you go to pick up if there are any items you no longer want.

They also give you a shopping pass for 20% with unlimited use (usually valid until Sept) so you donā€™t have to save a bunch of coupons. You get 20% off everything.

As someone mentioned above, it looks like they are updating the program but here is a link: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/page/college?isRedirect=true

3 Likes

I recall I was able to set the pick up date, and I did it about a week beforehand. Last year I did it also but it was curbside more related to covid than anything.

Also watch out for the BBB 20% off everything college coupon stuff. While heā€™s 20% off everything is a great deal, they jack up their prices so much to begin with that even on sale there are many places that the stuff is a lot cheaper. We had done the pick up at BBB too but wound up not bothering with about 80% of it after getting it cheaper at Target. BBB was best for bathroom and shower waste basket and bathroom cup, and tint step stool i recall.

Target was great for decor. They had these great square cork boards and dry erase calendar things that went on the wall also in square shape. Itā€™s expensive but so fun decorating for girls.

Btw can someone send me the link for the fan they said was the best. I want to see if my son wants it? Although thereā€™s a slim chance he may end up with ac.

1 Like

I just wanted to reiterate what others have said about college towns and shopping. If you are from a sizable city, donā€™t assume availability will be similar in a small town around college move-in time. People have given good tips about BB&B pick up, etc., so itā€™s doable, but might take some planning. In my area itā€™s like a swarm of locusts during move-in. The grocery stores get picked over, Target and Walmart are a zoo, etc. I mean, itā€™s all part of the fun (haha), but some of you may not realize itā€™s a little different than at home.

4 Likes

For the people going to CU Boulder- Use the Target in Superior just South of town. The Target in Boulder is a madhouse.

1 Like

That stuff reminds me of the Po Sum On oil I had in college. One of my room mates always wanted to " 'po sum on!"-her words, not mine- whenever she had a cold. Another dorm mate would seek me out for some of that ā€œChinese oilā€ whenever he was congested and wasnā€™t feeling well. Heā€™s now a renowned MD in emergency medicine. A good alternative to Sudafed, which was the only thing the health center gave out for every ailment.

2 Likes

Just booked D24 Pfizer vax appointment for 5pm tonight. CVS. Walgreens has it because my cousin just booked one for her niece in Pittsburg

9 Likes

Just found out that D will tie for Valedictorian!!! She moved from #3 to tie for #1 of 458 students. She had been #3 since 9th grade. We thought taking a free period for her last class of the day would knock out any chance. How the other 2 kidsā€™ rank moved was they waited to take their last unweighted PE the last semester but D had taken it in her freshman and sophomore years. What a wonderful surprise.
This gives a tuition waiver for freshman year at any Texas state university. So Coupled with the 27,500 yearly that is already covering full cost of attendanceā€¦this helps pay for her study abroad next summer.
So extremely proud of this girl. She is your typical quiet, low key, nose to the grind stone kind of kid.

50 Likes