Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Classic drafting off the top two in a four lap race. In the final straightaway she had the power to cruise to a photo finish. Congrats on a strong, well-run race.

3 Likes

Great news! Congratulations for the good news. I am so proud of your D.

1 Like

@TVBingeWatcher2 Congratulations!! I can sense how happy you are thru your post. Spread the good feeling vibes!!!

@tristatecoog Maybe it’s because we had the KY Derby recently. Maybe not. But that cracked me up.

Can you guys believe the winner is suspected of performance enhancing meds?!?

2 Likes

My 14 year old niece got it today in LA also!! Crazy how quickly that happened.

Congratulations! So happy for your girl and you all!

1 Like

Congratulations! Do they count PE in GPA there? PE is required for 4 years here but it does not count in GPA. But, in our case my son took the Fine Arts requirement (unweighted) freshman year, and Civics requirement (unweighted) Sophomore year, and many kids weight until senior year, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts GPAs. Also a lot of seniors are not doing well this year. However, our school doesn’t rank, other than knowing certain reference points. So, we know the valedictorian GPA which is his friend and that kid has all A’s. So unless someone has more AP or Honors than the valedictorian, his friend will be it. My kid isn’t far behind him so he has a shot at salutatorian, so we’re hopeful he’s close or will just miss it. Either way, we’re proud of our kid as all Class of 2021 parents should be. What a year!!

Awesome about the tuition waiver for your kiddo. That’s huge!!

1 Like

Northwestern just announced this afternoon that they will be mandating the vaccine. That really only leaves U-Chicago and UIC (public) in Chicago that haven’t mandated it. Presumably U-Chicago will probably follow but who knows? Glad NU is joining other schools.

4 Likes

PE is required for 2 years and unweighted and yes they are counted in the GPA. For those that do sports just the 2 years are unweighted then the last 2 years are pass/fail. Hope your son makes Sal.

Congratulations! That’s awesome news and a great accomplishment.

1 Like

Amazing news and very well deserved!!! :clap:t4::clap:t4:

1 Like

Congrats! Especially since she will get the first year free in Texas!

1 Like

I had been toying about posting this for awhile, but I guess it sort of fits in with this latest news on the board. And am super happy for @TVBingeWatcher2’s daughter.

We had the opposite happen and it has been a very painful two weeks since we found out. My daughter has been salutatorian since 9th grade, every single semester. Then two weeks ago, mid semester they took ranking again (just after she had a tough Physics and Statistics test) and the girl in 3rd place, leapfrogged in to her spot by 0.0001 points. If they have to go to so many decimal points to find the sal, at least have 2 salutatorians (principal would have none of that). Anyway, my daughter is now 3rd, doesn’t get the recognition (she never told anyone her ranking - she is very modest) and the ironic thing is that she will end up salutatorian again on her official transcript when that comes out in two weeks. Ugh :frowning:

1 Like

I was ranked 2 out of over 500 many years ago and I still regret all the maneuvering it took to stay up there. I am happy that my kids go to a school that doesn’t weight (so they can take art if they want to) or rank (so they can have a study hall). But I am happy for the poster above whose daughter gets the big money!

2 Likes

I was ranked 1/valedictorian (why did I not convert my VHS video to DVD before Costco closed its photo center?!?) and it was so easy back then. We didn’t have weighted GPA, not that many APs. A bunch of kids took CC classes and some padded with foo-foo CC courses to get GPA bump. After this year and what the valedictorian did, the school is changing policy. Only core CC classes get the bump. #2 kid really deserved the valedictorian class. All his courses were hard core. Multi variable calc, physics, etc. I can see the argument there.

D24 got her vaccine today at CVS. So thrilled. I had a workout session so DH took her. First time she got a vaccine and I wasn’t there. Of all the vaccines! The pharmacist was confused whether a 14 year older could get it. I had to screenshot the CDC news and the CVS website to show them. Smooth sailing for everyone in the hood now. I feel so relieved and I hope the data shows that the vaccine is efficacious for 2+ soon. And I love saying efficacious because I hear Dr. Fauci saying that in my head when I use that word and Fauci is my man.

9 Likes

I’m so sorry for your daughter. Having said that, thiis is the exact reason why years ago, and I mean years as I graduated from the same district and it was shortly after I graduated (35 years ago) that they got rid of rankings. They found that the difference in a GPA of .00001 could mean a ranking difference of multiple spots, yet the GPA is essentially the same and that it was more harmful than anything to a student. So instead, all that is given to the student about where they are in terms of their class is what the highest gpa is, the lowest, for both weighted and unweighted and then also for W and UW the top 10%, 25% and median. At graduation valedictorian and salutatorian is announced but there always seem to be multiple valedictorians for UW and if I recall, multiple for salutatorian so I have always wondered if they do round. It does seem ridiculous in your daughter’s case that a test before final transcript comes out would be what is considered for salutatorian.

I remember my ex husband something similar happened. I think he was valedictorian his entire high school career and then suddenly at graduation he was salutatorian. He never knew how the other kid jumped him because he had all A’s but just chalked it up to it is what it is. But no doubt it bugged him too. I don’t blame your daughter one bit but at the end of the day, she knows her worth and how hard she worked and where she finished and she doesn’t need the recognition in front of a crowd to know that. Congrats on that awesome accomplishment!

4 Likes

Wow! How thrilling for her, not only the validation of all her hard work plus the extra financial cushion that will open up additional doors for her! Congratulations!

@Totoros So sorry this happened to your daughter. I hope she’s not too crushed.

D’s school doesn’t rank any more because it was stressing the kids out too much!

2 Likes

And that is another great illustration of why many schools do not rank anymore.

3 Likes

Got this duvet cover based on the group’s reco. It’s soft. I recommend. Twin dimensions work for Twin XL comforter.

Nestl Bedding Duvet Cover, Protects and Covers your Comforter/Duvet Insert, Luxury 100% Super Soft Microfiber, Twin (Single) Size, Color Charcoal Gray, 2 Piece Duvet Cover Set Includes 1 Pillow Sham https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BI5POF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4V2EQJCNKPAM0GZ1VDJB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Heartiest congratulations!

I was not sure if it was the etiquette to announce this on this forum but as it happens, my daughter was just officially designated as valedictorian at her high school yesterday too. Needless to say, we are thrilled for her and very happy.

26 Likes

Congrats to all of the vals and sals - and those who narrowly missed it. Coming in anywhere at the top of the class is a huge accomplishment.

Our news is not quite at that level, but we got an email that S18 is getting an award at Senior Night. They don’t say what it is (I doubt it’s academic) but we are very proud. S18 has struggled with his ADHD and executive function and he has come so far.

28 Likes