Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

I kinda think it’s the former. Something is “rotten in the state of Denmark.” :slight_smile:

Edit: The two schools that I watch closely here on CC, Michigan and SLO, are quiet.

3 Likes

I don’t think much will happen on WL.

UCs might be messing up others’ numbers and might have some significant movement. Some like UCLA have quite a few triples I think normally, though we don’t know how they handled that. Also a lot of internationals at UCs. Over on Reddit there are a lot of waitlisters who accepted one UC and hope to get off the list at another. We have a friend like that. She already switched UCs (WL) and is hoping for a third, her top choice.

1 Like

College hopping. That sounds like fun. I wish I were her parent. :rofl: (kidding)

3 Likes

They don’t care since all are the same price and a fairly easy drive. I hope she gets off at the one she wants - UCSD. :crossed_fingers:

I think UCLA and Berkeley may cause a shift. Berkeley usually takes a large number of their waitlist. I haven’t heard of their waitlist moving much, if at all. The high number of international students at the UCs could cause a shift as well, although that would be later in the summer. Any thoughts on when people will know they won’t be able to get a visa?

2 Likes

Last day of high school here.
Already seeing little changes in D. Her future room mate has convinced her to get a pair of Cowboy boots. This is the born and raised Texan who has never owned nor cared to own any. …Maybe the room mate can push her out of her shell a little.

And tomorrow she will drive us 5 hours to my niece’s hs graduation. Then 5 hours back the next day. This will be the first time she will drive long distance. This is for practice because she will driving herself to incoming freshman camp 3.5 hours one way this summer AND she wants to drive herself the 6 hours to San Antonio and stay in AirBNB with 5 or 6 friends this summer also. Yep, the winds are changing…

14 Likes

Interesting to hear this and makes me anticipate about how my D may change!

2 Likes

Enjoy it! D19 was an absolute bear her last few months home.

1 Like

I’ve heard this is fairly common. Kids do this subconsciously. Apparently it makes the separation somewhat easier. A friend of mine told me how relieved she felt after she dropped off her usually darling son to college after a summer of constant bickering.

4 Likes

Good morning all! Need a place to vent before I start my day, thanks for indulging me. D is going through the course catalog for fall and picking courses. It’s pretty uplifting to see as lots of things look interesting to her- Arabic, Econ, public health, computer science. Thank you liberal arts! Her interests are broad, but the one thing she knows she wants to start with, and potentially major in, has one intro class. That class is full.
She spoke with the registrar who told her to reach out to the professor to be put on the waitlist. She is doing those things. This is my first rodeo with a kid in college. I really hope it works out. I just wish that it was easier for a freshman to take an intro class. I know if she was at a big school this complaint may be laughable, but at a small school is doesn’t seem so unreasonable.

5 Likes

Have the freshman had registration yet? With both of our schools (one medium, one big) they said they reserved some seats for freshman registration. It worked that way with D19, D21 doesn’t get to register until late July so hoping it works that way there as well! She has a meeting with her advisor next week so hopefully that’ll give us some more information.

There is usually lots of movement on class wait lists so don’t give up hope! Tons of kids add/drop so it may all work out.

Some schools also release more seats throughout the summer so worth checking often to see if a seat has opened. Also, does her university have any course tracking apps? My D’s school has an app that will send a text when a seat is open for a course if they are on the waitlist.

Lastly, if it’s a course required for her intended major, she can reach out to the department office and see if they will override and get her into the class.

I know it can be stressful the first time around but it does typically all work out!

(FWIW, my D is at a big school and never had trouble getting any of her courses (she’s a junior now). They have course registration down to a science).

4 Likes

Fingers crossed that your daughter is able to get the professor to open an additional spot in that intro class.

My daughter was not able to get into a class she was hoping to take 1st semester (also an intro class with potential to be a possible double major). Instead, she took a course that wasn’t often offered and she fell in love with the subject. It also allowed her to take some upper level classes she wouldn’t have normally qualified for as a 2nd semester 1st year because it fulfilled a pre-requisite for several classes (it was an interdepartmental course), as well as being offered a cool internship.

She was able to get into the intro class 2nd semester, and it was just as good as she thought it would be (and she is now planning the double major). The point I am trying to make is that sometimes what looks like a scheduling snafu actually ends up giving a student an opening to see something beyond their initial plans, and can lead to some pretty amazing stuff.

16 Likes

I had not heard this but it is a relief to hear this morning. I’ve never experienced anything like I am with my kid right now. I even said to my sister a few days ago that I can’t wait until she leaves. Huge mood swings with her right now. I’m spent.

8 Likes

Wisconsin closed their out-of-state wait lists last night.

1 Like

I’ve heard that the step that occurs before emptying the nest is called “soiling the nest”.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::nerd_face::joy::hugs:

7 Likes

can you tell me more about the course tracking app? Which is it. I want to see if Texas Tech has it.

Yes, ‘soiling the nest’ is definitely a thing! Google it and you will find some good articles. It’s nature’s way of motivating us to push them out of the nest :wink:

3 Likes

One more thought about course registration; the reason my daughter was able to take the rarely offered interdepartmental course was because so many students don’t really investigate the full course catalog.

When she put it on her list as a possible course to take, her advisor immediately told her that she should definitely take that class, it isn’t offered every year and everyone who has ever taken it has raved about it.

So why wasn’t that class filled? Because so many new and (unfortunately) returning students don’t actually read the entire course catalog*, they only look at the sections of subjects they’ve already thought about and are already interested in. So many of my daughter’s friends were shocked when they found out about the class she was taking, thought it sounded really cool, and were bummed that they didn’t have the option she did after 1st semester to take those really small, upper level seminars that were opened to her with having taken the ‘surprise’ class.

A lot of students can sell themselves and their colleges short when they get fixed on one idea or course of study. Encourage your student to dig into that course catalog, to at least skim the topics they’ve never thought about, and to be open to taking class in a subject they’ve never explored.

*I get with a really large school, it may be hard to read the entire course catalog. It is still worthwhile to skim it at least. Yes, it may take an hour or two to go through, but it pays off in spades. With a small school, it is invaluable. Every meeting with a professor and/or advisor was improved immeasurably by my daughter having read the course catalog. She had a much better idea of how the school structured departments/courses of study and was given a lot of insider ‘tips and tricks’ by professors in how to maximize her schedule to reach her objectives (I cannot overstate how excited those professors were to talk with a student who had done some really basic research which led to being able to smartly ask how to best utilize the school’s classes/resources).

Edited to Add: Please look at the course catalog as a never-ending resource. I cannot tell you how many times my daughter went back to research it to prepare for a meeting with a professor or one of her advisors. Every time she thought of a new idea or option, she would refer back to the course catalog to see if it was possible and/or to help her understand better how a department was set up to work. At every meeting she has had with professors, department heads and others, she has been commended on her level of preparedness and knowledge which has helped with getting insider info/favors/exceptions.

11 Likes