Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Someone in a local fb group I’m in just posted about their experience with Turo in Colorado and said it was extremely creepy. First, the owner of the Turo picked them up at the airport, when they were not expecting to interface with anyone. They were then driven to a location and she said it seemed like the guy was definitely on something. They got the car and it wasn’t what was described in the listing and had over 140k miles for a less than 3 year old car. When they returned it they did not have the guy drop them off at airport but instead ubered which cost them a lot of money unepectedly since they had planned for the car to be at the aiport to begin with and drop off, etc. Others commented that their experiences have not involved a person and that they usually check in advance etc, and she agreed saying she left this one detail to her husband but regardless it all just seemed creepy so I am sharing it here for anyone in case they also use that service.

My son has been getting emails from colleges for next school year application cycle for fall 2022 like crazy. I’m not sure what’s going on. He hasn’t taken any test since the required senior SAT this fall and he definitely did not mark “send me crap”.

He’s also receiving info from colleges saying “we still have spots left for fall 2021”.

He is sooo done with this process, lol.

I believe Bowdoin had 32 freshman deferrals last year. They said they expected more like 100 and were pleasantly surprised the number was that low. They pretty much ran this year’s admissions cycle just like prior years but admitted just a little bit fewer kids this time around. They were flat in applications so their admit rate stayed about the same.

So interesting to see that they really made very few changes in their strategy this year and that yield stayed around 60 percent when applicants were not even allowed to walk onto campus this year. I really thought that would be a deal breaker for more kids but I guess not!

1 Like

Prime day is early this year (6/21-6/22). I didn’t have discipline to not shop from my list and wait til Prime Day. I don’t have much left to buy except for surge protectors and such.

5 Likes

Could you message me? I either don’t know how to do it, or it’s not possible to message you- one or the other. I would love to take you up on your offer. The one we just got was a dud and is on its way back to Amazon already.

1 Like

When my son started HS 5 years ago, I was surprised to learn the HS doesn’t allow students to use lockers, even though the school has them. When he told me, I didn’t believe him and asked the office. They confirmed and gave me a couple of unsatisfactory answers - as the enrollment expanded over the years and small buildings/trailers were added, no new lockers were added so because there are not enough lockers for everyone noone is allowed to use them - the lockers have not been maintained over the years and administration feels they shouldn’t be used until new lockers can be budgeted.

I’m not sure if either is entirely true. It turns out a few students were assigned lockers but my son said he didn’t mind not having one, so I didn’t pursue it further.

2 Likes

Laptop question. As part of her scholarship package, D21 gets a laptop. Choices are:

• 13” MacBook Pro with 8g RAM and 256gb storage (weighs 3 lbs)
  • 11” iPad Pro with 256gb storage, AirPods, magic keyboard and Apple Pencil
  • Dell G15 gaming laptop with 16g RAM and 512gb storage (weighs 5.4 lbs)

She is a recreational gamer with her friends, and will either be a biology major or might do art/animation. She is leaning towards the iPad or Dell but my concern is the weight and size of the Dell and carrying it all around and on the other hand, the “laptop lite” of the iPad. She has my old MacBook Air that she uses now and could take with her.

Thoughts? We don’t know which to choose! I’d get the new MacBook in a heartbeat.

1 Like

I might lean towards the Dell, if it’s a gaming laptop it likely has a decent graphics card which will be helpful if she uses any GIS in the bio major, and for animations as well. 16g RAM is generally the minimum recommended now to get through 4 years. She could leave it at her desk and carry the older MacBook for notes and study sessions.

The MacBook Pro would be nice also… but I would not choose the iPad unless she was definitely doing art/animation.

1 Like

I got these recommendations from the SJSU Animation/Illustration Program last Fall:
Recommended requirements: (Above $1100+)
15” | 15.6” or 17” | 17.3” display
(We recommend that you use at least 15” or 17” for your class work because of the screen real estate. Will permit you to complete work in the most comfortable way possible. We do not recommend 13” or lower because of prolonged use will cause eye strain)

Intel Core i5 or better
Or
AMD Ryzen 5/7 3000 series or 4000 series
16GB RAM or better
512GB SSD or more
Dedicated graphics card Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 or better
Operating Systems - Windows 10 preferred

So it looks like the Dell is the best choice if your daughter wants to use the laptop for animation.

Sent you a message - it’s not a problem at all!!

So I was thinking again about the double dipping comments that are out there that I think so called experts are not trying to justify why numbers are where they’re at. I wonder if they’ve taken into account that many schools (especially larger ones) charge for orientation and that once those processes start, students are being charged for that too, so why then would students want to pay twice for orientation also? That doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense. If a kid commits to a school and isn’t sure by now, I don’t see them having double dipped AND waiting until the last orientation time just to hold off from spending more money. Also, I know some schools (Texas) charge you for orientation the minute you sign up for it, not after the fact (like Michigan). And yes, I know, plenty don’t charge.

I guess my point is, I still don’t think that “double dipping” is the issue. I think a lot of kids didn’t go to college last year and reapplied this year and are part of this class. I keep seeing it over and over in the 3 college groups I’m in. There will always be some summer movement, but the fact that there isn’t much movement now, doesn’t align with “everyone” double dipping. I think it’s more that there really are bodies taking up those spots. Also, at this juncture if it’s true that kids double dipped and schools believed that, I think they would start to figure out a way to connect (that shouldn’t be that hard) and run names/numbers to see who the culprits are since that is not something that is supposed to be allowed.

I just heard of my first double dipping at our school. Someone committed to Northeastern and UIUC.

1 Like

Here’s a recent thread on laptop recommendations. My D18 has had an Mac Air and an iPad and has found them both excellent.

1 Like

Heard of a double dip for Michigan and GWU.
Makes me irritated.

Hi, I am sorry but just catching up on all threads now - why do people commit to 2 different places? Is that what is referred to as double dipping? What is the point of that?

But don’t we know that about the same number of kids applied to college this year? Kids applied to more colleges but I thought the number of total applicants didn’t increase.

Because they didn’t get to visit and need more time to get there or want to be able to judge how a school will do in the fall Covid-wise and want to make their decision closest to August.

1 Like

I still have a hard time believing that double-depositing, even if more common this year, is anywhere significant enough in numbers to explain current yields having increased. I’m guessing that test optional caused some issues with yield algorithms (didn’t we see earlier that scores are often included in the algorithm), and some colleges admitted too many because the algorithms were wrong. GIGO, as the old saying goes.

But don’t we know that about the same number of kids applied to college this year? Kids applied to more colleges but I thought the number of total applicants didn’t increase.

My understanding is that total applicants didn’t increase across all Common App schools, but I don’t think Common App released data on highly-selective schools specifically. My bet is that unique applicants did increase among a group of highly selective schools, though that’s just a guess, intuitive.

3 Likes

Thank you for the explanation.

Right. That is true. Colgate had a 110% increase in apps! Bowdoin was flat. I did read that schools that were already TO didn’t have the bump that those did who used TO for the first time last year.

And I agree that most colleges accepted more kids thinking that their yield history could be off for this year. And then that was a wrong assumption and many yields went up.

3 Likes