Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Our Naviance shows how many applied, accepted, and enrolled, in the bar graph above the scattergram. At this point, I think our high school’s Naviance entirely up to date for 2021 (that depends on when the high school enters the info and ours is done). The only wrinkle is that there’s a minimum set, so that if the number is less than 3, it looks like none (no bar), so that for very highly selective colleges, there’s not much more than applied showing.

1 Like

My D’s HS profile shows all the schools where students matriculated in the last 5 years as well. And yes, Naviance will also show the details of the numbers who applied and the outcome.

Yes, same here. Interest in how your student compares or what other students are doing is considered helicoptering and seriously frowned upon.

2 Likes

They did do a wear a tshirt for what you are doing after HS day and they do publish the list of the top 10% students and what they are doing.

A lot of our kids also join the military or attend vocational schools like cosmetology or culinary and that’s celebrated here as well.

4 Likes

S was not even admitted to the WL at Cal Poly. I don’t know what they were using but didn’t seem like it was grades and rigor alone. He did apply to one of the most competitive majors though. It’s the only Cal State he applied to but now they just admitted him to Sonoma without asking so weird.

No Naviance here. No college tee shirt day. (Plus, almost 75% of seniors remained remote for the year.) I don’t know what the graduation program or senior booklet will show. (Kids are still in school.) For my 19s, it was basically just names and awards.

You may know this already, but CSU’s have a “redirection” program. I don’t know much about it, but if interested, here’s more info.

https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/redirection

D kept 1 WL alive and that was UC Santa Cruz and D was admitted on Friday. We have a few days, but I sincerely doubt she’ll take the spot. Odd year, UC Santa Cruz was typically an almost “gimme” in years past. D committed to her school back in mid-March, so she’s been locked in for a while. I don’t see that changing. So, we’re exiting the WL bar now, it’s a “quarter after one…”

9 Likes

Weird! What a weird year. (Sorry I thought he was WL.) Even the profile page is weird, with only GPA there and of course no scores.

Back to dorm shopping. Since H swears that he is driving, I am back to buying and packing however we want. Getting a couple of laundry bags for all the bedding to go in. We used trash bags for older D’s bedding (we flew there), but then she also ended up putting bedding in trash bags for summer storage, and I figure laundry bags are at least a little nicer/more durable. I have no idea how normal people store bedding; seems silly to box it, unless one really wants it sealed. I could get some ikea type bags, but the laundry bag with the wide shoulder strap looks easier to carry.

We don’t have Naviance in our school district. The District posts a Senior Spotlight for the top 10 students of the 5 high schools in our district. Our high school is the only Title 1 school in the district. For our Top 10 students in the Class of 2021:

6- UT Austin
1- Texas A&M
1-Texas Tech
1-UTD
1-John Hopkins

I looked at the Spotlights from the other high schools in our district and we there are students going to Yale, Duke, Wash U, Emory, NYU, Univ of Chicago and Univ of Pitt…but the overwhelming majority of the Top 10 students from all 5 high schools are split between UT Austin, TAMU & UTD.

1 Like

We don’t have Naviance. The top 10 students were recognized and announced where they were going (at HS grad ceremony) or I would have not known.

:woman_shrugging:t3: He probably wouldn’t have picked it anyway but the GC and I were surprised he didn’t make it.
Anyway, i only brought it up since was in the system and was referred but strange actually admitted without communication. He said ge has a lot of admitted student email from Sonoma.

I just realized that I will have to ship some of his clothes as they will not fit in our suitcases. Not sure why I didn’t think of that before.

1 Like

Post school path is printed for every grad in the graduation program. From military to trades to which college etc.

2 Likes

@Pnwfamily totally get that. The spirit of the grad program is celebration and that high school is just the start for each kid. Trades and military choices are celebrated as much as the top colleges.

2 Likes

How many of you are flying? D and I managed all of D’s clothes in: one rather large suitcase, a large (96L) cheap duffle, some other duffle that I can’t remember (probably the large 75L Bean duffle), and a rolling carryon. I only remember that we were struggling to each balance a duffle on top of a rolling device, and we each had a backpack. It’s possible I’m forgetting another duffle or carryon. But, the moral of the story is that just the two of us made it happen lol. (Everything of my own for this trip was in my backpack.)

Obvious tip, have him pack in his carrryon whatever stuff he needs for traveling in the day(s) prior to move-in, so that he’s not trying to find stuff packed with everything else.

4 Likes

Very similar here. Only a tiny percentage of our graduates go to school outside of Texas.

Yes originally I thought maybe we could fit the sheets and clothes but we would need to check another bag at $55. H doesn’t want to deal with another bag so I’ll have to estimate Fed Ex. We also have a drive with the rental car (Costco best price btw), where we need to squeeze in the Bed bath and beyond stuff or I’ll have to make an extra trip from the city to the country (rural school). The car is “full size” but :grimacing:. Filling the dorm room will be like a four part adventure, the last part will be Amazon for filling in. I’m definitely not going to overbuy. Luckily we go back to the school after pre-orientation so I can bring the snacks, storage and bathroom stuff then after we get a look at the room.

1 Like

Yes I’m sure you want to wash the bedding at home. For D, we shipped to the hotel from Amazon the comforter, a foam mattress pad, squishy mattress topper/cover and a plastic shower caddy, and then did a lot of local shopping. Bought pillows, throw pillows, throw blanket on location (boys don’t need a throw blanket, correct?). Filled the rental car totally to the brim and just us in the car. I think it was an intermediate SUV, but having looked at rental prices in general lately, full size seems a much, much better price and I can sense your skepticism that everything will fit lol. (I found Avis Preferred price to be cheaper than Costco for some airports/cars/dates for full size, but Costco cheaper than expedia.)

1 Like

I’ll have to think about shipping some things to the school ahead vs BBB. For some reason I feel compelled to drive the first night stuff to the school and have it in hand.

1 Like

For boys: bathrobe or velcro towel thing? Or both/neither?

Looking at what I bought from Amazon for D, a trip down memory lane…