Parents of the HS Class of 2022- 3.0-3.4

He finished the essay and I can say with confidence it was better than the examples you posted! He virtually toured it really early on and for some reason, it stuck with him. And I also think the exercise of writing the essay got him more excited about possibly attending. I highly doubt he’ll get any aid, but his primary financial backer (aka grandparent) loves Bard and wants him to go, so we will see how things plays out.

Congratulations to your S! Is there any possibility he will attend Bard? It really is a unique place.

4 Likes

I know Bard very well. There is a chance he will go if we can work out the finances, especially if his sister lands something significant. It’s not the greatest fit for him in terms of its very heavy literary emphasis-- there is no CTCL LAC that demands more-- but a fit for him otherwise in terms of ethos, alternative nature, etc. There are a lot of truly academically brilliant students at Bard. For a very small college which used to be smaller, its famous alumni list is very well stocked!

The first year sticker price is 82k because of special first year programs, and it’s less the subsequent years.

2 Likes

Interesting read. Dean Coffin hosts a podcast and I think one episode was devoted to students/fit/profiles. I was genuinely touched after listening to it. I agree that a lot of the profiles above are pretty generic. I shall also admit that my “highly unscientific” bias on the whole T20/30 application process is that it naturally attracts applicants that (a) shotgun and (b) are prestige seekers. Just going through the “Chance Me” here and Reddit’s A2C forums will just about convince anyone.

What I think is also patently ridiculous is that these schools advertise themselves as a place for leaders that want to change the world. I read on a forum a while back something that resonated with me – that they are looking for 17 year olds that present themselves as 34 year olds.

6 Likes

I hear you. What I find so funny is all these resumes of amazing community service and dedication to others that are required for admission to all these schools. Service to humanity done out of the goodness of heart and started at age 14 and pursued relentlessly through high school.

Imagine what the world would be like if all these kids really were who they’ve learned they need to present themselves to be.

It would truly be a whole new world.

11 Likes

Wow, I don’t think those essay excerpts are bad at all. Care to post an essay you think is good? I thought these were thoughtful and showed that they knew specifics about Dartmouth and had ideas about how they would fit in at Dartmouth. I would think this is exactly what an AO wants to see.

3 Likes

No didn’t mean they were bad for admissions purposes. They worked! And, moreover, they were chosen by Dartmouth out of hundreds to showcase the college, so they are double-good.

I uploaded them because they might prove useful to people in figuring out how to write these why x essays.

I literally meant that people could use these as templates, and write why x essays modeled on these but with different details. Also for quick research. If a student mentions a dining hall, cafe, club, and lane to walk through at Dartmouth, what are equivalent things at x college?

My bad, on the presentation. These do make me cringe, as writing, but so does a whole lot of other things about the admissions process. It’s also hard for my daughter, constantly being a performing monkey for all these supplementals.

She’s a rock musician and singer, but stumped on Smith’s “talk about the song that means the most for you” question. Not everyone has a favorite song or even relates to music in that way, but she’s forced again to go into performing monkey mode and talk about a song that she finds healing or whatever. She simply does not have such a song so she is again basically lying and pretending on another essay.

8 Likes

I’ve enjoyed following your kids’ journey and communicated with your D by PM a couple months ago. I can’t wait to hear where they land.

I am no expert at all… one kid so have only been through this process once… but I’m going to throw out my thoughts about essay prompts based on her experience. She did not always answer the prompt literally. She certainly used the prompt as a guide to formulate her essay, but she took creative license. For example, she had a prompt about social media influence which she used to compare the connections made through social media to neurological connections and then went from there with something she was passionate about (weaving in other interests along the way). The essay wasn’t about social media at all, but it was brought up by AOs, etc. over and over during the admissions and merit process so they must not have minded. Your D may get more inspired by turning the prompt to her liking. Not ignoring the prompt but taking some liberties.

Just food for thought. Thank you for all the updates!

7 Likes

Yeah that’s the way to make it palatable! You only have to believe you are interested for a short while, or get yourself somehow interested for a short while.

I have to keep my true thoughts at bay when she complains, because I truly do share her feeling that it’s all a stupid exercise, except for the most word-smithy artist in composition who can take on any writing challenge deliciously.

If it were simply writing for money, which it certainly is, it would be one thing, but the fact that it’s all intended to be personal that makes it hard, I think. It makes it harder to take it on as a purely writing exercise for a kid.

3 Likes

Personally I thought some of the Dartmouth essays sounded stuffy, phony, canned. But as I’ve experienced with my own kid… none of this comes naturally to 95% of 17-18 year olds so I can’t fault them too much.

9 Likes

Any thoughts on late LORs? S asked for his science teacher’s letter in early November. He has given her one email reminder and a couple verbal reminders, one right before break along with a combined Christmas/thank you card. It is due on 1/1 and still has not been turned in. I hate to bother her over break, it’ll be ok if it’s a little late, right? The published deadlines are for the student’s part?

So, a big thing for kids now is to post their essays on social media.

Here is one that was recommended to me by YouTube (no not the famous Costco essay):

Successful Harvard Application Essay | Seashells - YouTube

1 Like

Does he have a backup? This does not sound promising.

Is he sure the teacher did not already do it? If the school uses Naviance the school counselor usually helps with additional reminders, too. They can see what is due. They also automatically send the letters in batches.

2 Likes

Yes, from my experience with two older children, the application deadlines are for the application itself, and the supplemental materials (transcript, LORs, etc) can come in later.

3 Likes

I hope so. I just can’t bring myself to have S email her over break. She told him she had 16 letters to do this fall but would get to it. His has got to be one the last and I’m sure she is worn out.

LOR has been submitted, 3 days late. I think it was worth the wait, S said teacher let him read it and it was very positive. I was hoping she’d talk about his academic turnaround because she taught him both last year and this year, and she did!!

10 Likes

Hello everyone. I’m looking for some very last minute help in adding a few schools to my S22’s list before January 15 application deadlines.

He is a 3.55 UW student at a very competitive private HS in Colorado. Test optional with good not great EC’s and very good LOR’s. Accepted so far at TCU and University of Denver with less than expected/hoped for aid, University of Arizona with 12.5K/year merit, University of Oregon and Colorado State with no mention of aid yet, and Baylor waiting on aid offer. Deferred from EA at SMU and Pepperdine. Waiting to hear from Gonzaga, U of San Diego and CU Boulder.

Our EFC per FAFSA is 43K (doable but higher than we would like). Aid offers from DU and TCU puts costs there close to 55K/year. Son would prefer a small to mid sized school in the southwest ideally with a faith component prevalent on campus.

Are there any schools out there with a 1/15 regular deadline that accept B to B+ students known for providing good aid? Assuming son gets in to Boulder that is probably our best/most affordable option but looking to add a few more options. Thanks all.

Austin College
Southwestern University

Both have deadlines for regular decision of February 1st (plenty of time) and both have scholarships of up to >$30k for first year applicants. They also start at a lower price point than many of the schools your son has applied to thus far.

Don’t think either one has strong faith component on campus, but they are both southern so I would imagine faith options are plentiful in the area.

2 Likes

Why don’t you look at the WUE. You’ll get those big OOS schools at a better cost than posted. It’s your friend when you live in CO.

Ps Check out Alabama and MS State. Bama has the best merit in the country…it’s why they are so geographically diverse. Tuition is 31k. What I don’t know is how TO works as they are TO but shows an ACT on the merit table.

For mid size UAH or Western Carolina which is just cheap. So Illinois is cheap too.

If you want merit you need to chase the high merit or savings programs. To get merit you need to apply wide. And to schools that have merit tables. A Mizzou. It’s too late but Florida Public’s that aren’t UF/FSU/UCF/USF etc. and to schools where you stand out. Your son…a3.55 and TO is not a standout at these.

For a private in the vein of TCU and Baylor look at Birmingham Southern. Maybe DePauw.

But the WUE - schools like Wyoming, UNR, UC Merced would be cheaper than CU fallbacks. Good luck.

https://www.wiche.edu/tuition-savings/wue/wue-savings-finder/

Southwestern would be a great option. My D had similar stats and that was the least expensive school for her because of its lower base price and good merit. Application due date is 2/1. No essay.

1 Like

Maybe Hendrix as well? We got a flyer from them promising to match in-state tuition (UT Austin).