Parents of the HS Class of 2022- 3.0-3.4

My youngest D isn’t a student athlete, so understand Ithaca’s appeal; her older sisters were student athletes at a nearby school, so competed at Ithaca - great sports facilities

He has decided not to compete in NCAA but is serious about fitness. Whatever IM sport(s) he decides to play… he is going to take it too seriously. LOL

He might be a good fit for club sports - split the difference between varsity and IM!

Definitely. Figured there’d be more of that at Ithaca due to school size, but I’m sure Lawrence has it, too. He can’t wait to play for fun!

2 Likes

My daughter plays club for Kenyon which is only a little bit bigger than Lawrence and she LOVES it! They went to Nationals in December! But normally just travel to regional schools for tournaments over weekends, so it doesn’t impact classes. Playing team sports is super healthy for her - balances the stress of the rest of life.

4 Likes

S21 plays club rugby at his university and loves it! They have both a spring and fall season. He’s actually in another state this weekend playing in a tournament. It’s still a time commitment but not as stressful/consuming as it is for my other son who plays a D1 sport. They both also play intramural basketball for fun - intramurals are a great way to meet lots of kids as a freshman.

5 Likes

I went to Rollins College. While somewhat small, you can take so many paths. I got involved with the radio station, study abroad, outdoor club, inter murals etc. Classes were small, profs always available.

School itself is beautiful.

There was a bit of a party vibe- I’m guessing is still there but much of the partying was on campus and downtown Winter Park.

There was a mix of really serious students and a few that were interested in simply escaping the cold and wanted a more “chill” atmosphere. Greek life was big for plenty but not “all consuming.” I wasn’t Greek and it was totally fine once I found my friends.

It delivered on the LAC mission. Miss those times so much!

5 Likes

I just wanted to update on results… Just as background, S24 is a talented musician, state-level athlete (but will not be playing in college) with a 3.42w mid-year gpa. He applied RD round only. Here are results:

Accepted
UNT
TLU - significant merit + talent
Centre - small talent
Knox - moderate merit + talent
Lawrence - significant merit + talent
Ithaca - moderate merit + talent

Waitlisted
Rhodes
Oberlin
Bard

Never heard back???
Roanoke

He is deciding between Lawrence and Ithaca.

15 Likes

So weird about Roanoak. I know others who raved about their process.

Good luck to your son. He has great choices.

I know, it is strange. And maybe we’ll hear from them yet. He emailed to ask what was up, they said they needed his first semester grades (which counselor had already sent but he sent again), and then 10 days later he has received no confirmation of receipt or further response.

Maybe call them if he’s still interested? Seems like something just slipped through the cracks there.

I think he’s moved on at this point! I guess we’ll never know what happened.

3 Likes

He’ll probably get an acceptance the day after you commit elsewhere! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Haven’t posted in awhile, but thought I would now that all results are in for my D22.

Acceptances: Oregon State, U of Portland, Eckerd, U of Redlands, Willamette, Puget Sound, Whitman, Skidmore
Denial: U of Miami
Waitlist: Gonzaga

Gonzaga was her first choice - but a little less so upon being waitlisted. She accepted the WL spot, wrote a letter of continued interest and reached out to the admissions rep who visited her high school, but she would not say, “I will 100% take the spot if you accept me,” because the WL made her question it.

She’s going to admitted student events at Puget Sound, Willamette and Whitman. She’s excited about both Willamette and Whitman,doesn’t remember a lot about Puget Sound other than there was a ton of trash outside one of the dorms (a negative ;)) In any event, she’ll choose among those for May 1 and then we will see what happens with the Gonzaga waitlist and how she feels about it.

Congratulations to all and good luck with remaining decisions!

16 Likes

Good luck!

My s23 will have U of Redlands, UPS, and Gonzaga on his list.

4 Likes

Update on D’s acceptances:

Lawrence University - top choice
College of Wooster - top choice
Beloit
Allegheny
Wheaton (MA)
Hobart and William Smith
Juniata
Ohio Wesleyan
Washington College

All with substantial merit aid, with College of Wooster an amazing amount.

Waitlist: Oberlin
Still waiting: Reed
No Denials

3.0 Students with good scores and authentic/compelling stories can stand out in the crowd

She’s attending Accepted Students Days at COW and Lawrence - very excited

20 Likes

Waitlisted at Reed as well!

D will keep Oberlin in the mix as they tend to admit a large % off WL, and it’s way closer to us.

5 Likes

Finally heard back from Roanoke! Accepted and actually quite surprised there’s no merit money. Off the list for sure.

8 Likes

This is an incredible acceptance list for a 3.0. Schools really do look beyond the numbers. Congratulations!

Please let me know how the Lawrence visit goes. S deciding between LU and Ithaca.

5 Likes

@murray93
Boo about no merit at Roanoke.

@JMDNJ

We sat in on a virtual info session at College of Wooster and plan to visit Lawrence. I love hearing about these schools.

5 Likes