Parents of the HS Class of 2022

I think it really depends on what types of schools he is applying to. If it’s mid-tier schools I don’t think it would be a problem but at higher ranked schools it may be. Our school runs on a 7 period day. If my son only took 4 classes he would have 3 study periods a day but that wouldn’t be allowed. They have to fill their schedule with something. What does your son do with his free periods? My S is taking 5 full year courses and then 4 electives that are 1/2 year. He’s not looking at top schools. Our school really recommends 4 years of math, science, history/social studies, and English.

1 Like

My daughter has more credits than she needs and I told her to ask her GC about a release period so she could have a lighter schedule this year especially with all her volunteer work required for NHS and her part time job to make her car payment. The GC said she would not recommend a release period that she needed to have an impressive senior schedule too. So she is taking 8 classes her senior year. :woman_shrugging: I don’t know that it is really necessary. But her GC seemed to think so and my daughter followed that advice.

2 Likes

He’s applying ED to NYU (Steinhardt, for Media, Culture and Communication) and EA to Fordham. He did a research project over the summer for an NYU law professor who’s going to write him a recommendation. I hope her vouching for him, along with his teacher LORs, goes some distance. He plays varsity basketball, which takes up some time, but he does seem to have a fair amount of free time given the schedule snafu. Really hope it doesn’t hurt him.

3 Likes

My D22 is taking 5 classes but they have a 6 academic period schedule. She has 5th period free and uses it as a study hall or goofing off time. She has math, AP English, AP psych, civics (required for seniors), and advanced theater. No science this year. She’s a humanities kid.

It does look like a light schedule to me. Has his guidance counselor had anyone get into the colleges he’s looking at with a similar schedule? We asked my D22’s about some of her course selections and the schools she was considering and she told us what was needed.

1 Like

I’ll have to look into that. We’re all talking tomorrow with a friend who’s a dean at Fordham, so it’ll be useful to get her perspective on it.

1 Like

My D took a middle of the road approach with 5 credits (6 classes) in school (AP Gov, AP Calc AB, H English, Advanced Anatomy, CP Stats-half year and Gym-half year) a virtual nursing class (1 credit) in which they give a study hall period plus first period study hall so she has late arrival. They have 7 periods. If he could add a second semester class perhaps that would be a good idea if it’s offered? I agree 4 classes, no matter the rigor, is light.

1 Like

Yes. He definitely intended to take five classes but had a scheduling conflict, which the GC said he would need to explain in applying. I’ll try to follow up with her since the consensus message here seems to be that my son isn’t going to college. :slightly_smiling_face:

Typically the very selective schools don’t like to see a decrease in rigor for senior year. But of course, your mileage may very depending on what he is doing with the extra time in his schedule, what the rest of his transcript looks like, and what other qualities he has that may be attractive to that school :slight_smile: I hope the ED works out, and it very well might! :slight_smile:

Editing to add that the guidance counselors here are fairly useless as far as college planning, so I don’t rely on their advice too much, unfortunately. I know that is not the situation everywhere though.

2 Likes

Same here. My kids GC also recommended to keep the same full rigorous schedule she had the last 3 years. So 8 classes it is, plus a research project.

The part that kills me is that she finally sat down and did something for her last (2.) SAT and improved from 1360 to 1510. Now we wonder if we should broaden the scope and scratch some other meh compromises.

3 Likes

Well, it seems S22’s courseload won’t hurt him at Fordham, at least. The administrator we talked to today said she didn’t see a problem as long as he’s satisfying all of his graduation requirements, and she said she’d be happy to send a note to admissions to that effect. Perhaps Fordham only qualifies as one of the midtier schools mentioned above, but we’re confident S22 would get an excellent education there if he ends up attending. Hopefully NYU will take a similarly holistic view.

5 Likes

What is likely letter?

A letter sent from a college saying you are likely to be admitted.

1 Like

When we receive communication from schools we have already applied to - asking to register for panels etc, is it OK to skip them or do we need to continue to register / engage etc ( demonstrated interest)?

It depends on the college, or if scholarships or special programs in play. IMO, Most such panels or programs at non selective colleges are intended to engage students as a type of marketing.

1 Like

Does your GC also give a recommendation for each student (our school did that). Might carry more weight if the GC includes a note saying there was a scheduling conflict between two AP’s, rather than he chose to take fewer classes AND he chose Physics because … (arguably it is the more rigorous course). Maybe he could also fill in that free time with something to replace the other course and point out how the conflict gave him time to do such and such. NYU is also D3 - would he consider playing basketball for them?

1 Like

I think there may be a GC recommendation—I’ll check on that. Would definitely explain the scheduling conflict through that or another way, and it’s true that AP Physics is more rigorous and more personally challenging for S22 (a challenge he’s meeting—interim comments from his physics teacher were very strong). Unfortunately he hasn’t really filled the additional time with anything academic we can point to.

He’s been saying he doesn’t plan to play organized basketball in college, though I think he’s open to considering it. His Common App essay, which he’s revising this weekend, centers on his basketball experiences in England, Switzerland and the U.S., so it might be nice if he’s able to say he hopes to stick with it.

My D22 had scheduling conflicts too and remade her entire senior year schedule the first week of school. She ended up with a “study hall” every day. First time she has had one and it has been a major blessing. She can finish her homework or work on college applications and has more time at home for social life. These kids had such restricted times for the past two years, I am thrilled that she has time to hang out with friends and socialize instead of working nonstop. Honestly, it is a more human pace. Maybe it means she wont be as competitive for her dream school, but I think hearing the laughter coming from our basement is better for her soul.

12 Likes

That’s good to hear, and I’ve felt similarly about my S22’s semester. He’s working hard in the classes he has, along with having co-founded a thriving landscaping business, and I’m glad he’s not overly stressed. Our house is a gathering place for his small friend group, and the laughter from the rec room is indeed gratifying to hear.

8 Likes

That’s a good question. S22 continues to “demonstrate interest” by signing up for online programs and liking Instagram posts, at least for the colleges that care about interest. I guess it doesn’t hurt. At the end of the day, it’s probably just about marketing.

1 Like

It’s a letter sent from a college before the official date for announcing decisions indicating that they will be admitting the student. My D16 got one from Dartmouth back during her admissions cycle. I think it is more common during the spring when they know students are already weighing offers from colleges with earlier announcements.

1 Like