Parents of the HS Class of 2022

I did want to share that my daughter who interviewed post-jaw surgery did get accepted into the early assurance physical therapy program. It’s a small school, and I think her top choice at the moment. There are a lot of factors to sort through though, money being a big one! She did join the accepted students social media page though and seems most enthused about that option.

38 Likes

That is great news. I remember you mentioning that the surgery interrupted the process, so that’s a big relief. Did she hear about money, or do you have to wait longer for that information?

1 Like

I’d like to say yes, because on paper he should be in, but going through last year’s threads plenty of kids with his stats did not get in. Too many kids/too few spots.

2 Likes

Party time at our house too - D22 is in ED to Vassar!

48 Likes

Congrats! You are done with the process!

1 Like

Congrats on the great acceptance!

2 Likes

Congrats to your daughter! Excellent!

1 Like

Nice…….

Fantastic, congrats!

1 Like

40+ applications out of this household so far (most free)

I know this isn’t a consideration for most people here, but my twins are shotgunning applications, and pulling out a few other stops, in order to get the best FA package, which can then be used to negotiate with a college that might be more desirable (best case scenario, near worst case: shotgunning to try and find one place they can actually attend). Common App is maxed out and moving on to Coalition App.

100% acceptance with merit so far EA, 0% affordable with merits (with only 2 colleges released FA info so far).

Looking at need-met ED2 apps now, and also working on research for applications in Europe now.

I estimate 60-70 applications from our house.

3 Likes

Do you mind sharing which school? My daughter is also going for PT.

@UCDProf My head is spinning. I can’t fathom 60-70 applications.

6 Likes

Wow I thought the 12 my D was planning for was hard to keep in order. I hope you guys like doing all the analytics

1 Like

There’s nothing to analyze-- if anything comes in as a true acceptance (meaning it’s possible to actually choose to go there) it can go in the very small pile that I’m assuming can be analyzed at a glance.

If nothing comes in, then it’s on to community college after 70 applications and years of work and enduring abusive teachers to get a 4.0uw. My kids will be mad at me.

2 Likes

Who is going to do the negotiating?

Congratulations!

So sorry it’s been tough this week. The waiting is very hard. Hopefully he hears soon and it’s good news. I’m sure he’ll find a place that is right!

1 Like

I’m going to take advice on that but I’ve heard it’s okay for parents to step in at this point. So, me.

With one offer that was totally out of the question my son initiated the conversation with an AO by just pointing out the obvious, that the cost (if doubled to include twin) would be half of the family income, and he was in that case warmly invited to get other offers and come back to negotiate and the AO also said the college’s purported no negotiation stance was not true at all. Not sure that is typical but it may be that an invested AO is actually wishing she/he could enroll the student but doesn’t have control over the financials and is actually on the kid’s side there.

3 Likes

I negotiated financial aid for my older son. Not using other offers, but my younger son has gotten the same advice. When I went through it with my older son, several schools gave him better offers, not substantial, but a few thousand which helps.

3 Likes

Might be reasonable to get a few thousand more but families won’t get more than that. And the most selective colleges do not negotiate and many do not give merit at all so, if you come to them with a merit scholarship from another school, they just say no.

You can’t go to Duke with an offer from Santa Clara and negotiate. You might be able to go to Loyola Marymount with your Santa Clara merit and get a little more. The school you approach really has to see your offer as one from a college they deem a competitor.

8 Likes