Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Can @UCDProf and his interlocutors please start a dedicated thread for their back and forth?

10 Likes

that’s a reasonable request. I’m going to go away but just tie up one loose end. thanks.

1 Like

Yes both did Hendrix and it came in with merit and need grant at about the same as in-state, which is unaffordable for us. We are trying to get to EFC which is far less than in-state.

I’m not sure what you mean about rank vs. acceptance rate but I mentioned simply beating the npc and people getting in ED.
I didn’t realize Boston college has such a high acceptance rate!
Daughter applied EA to Macalester, which is I think the most selective college so far.

1 Like

BC was 18.9% admit rate last year and that’s including both ED and RD so far less in RD.

1 Like

Are you aware of the changes coming to FAFSA? There will soon be no break for having multiple kids in college. So while the EFC May work next year, it may not in 2023. :frowning:

1 Like

Yes! Another reason why more selective CSS schools are a better bet.

Were we to go with a FAFSA school we’d have to have no other choice before going with it, and would need to have people swear up and down that they are not going to observe the changes at their school.

(in our case our access to federal loans will not be affected by this change, so its up to the college)

I have doubts about the political viability of kicking hundreds of thousands of kids out of college if this were to be implemented. They’ve already postponed elements of it. Probably though it would be reversed only after enough suffering builds up that would take many years and be of no benefit to my kids.

I promised I would go away so I’m going to do that now.

1 Like

“61 percent of BC’s accepted students submitted test scores, with an average SAT score of 1495 and ACT of 34”

Incredible stats. I guess BC is enjoying the major city urban renaissance. It’s really improved over the last few years. @homerdog i remember that BC was in your D21’s final group. What have they done in recent years to distinguish themselves?

2 Likes

I honestly cannot answer that question with any specificity. D wanted a college 2000-6000 students, small classes starting freshman year, big school spirit, strong career center and options for dance without being a major. BC ticked a lot of boxes but, in the end, she just didn’t want that urban or Jesuit. I have seen a lot of kids in the last few years, though, really want the city college vibe. Also, BC switched from EA to ED in 2020 so they’ve had two years now where they’ve had a chance to grab some great students in ED.

2 Likes

WOOT woot! That’s fantastic news!!

3 Likes

Is she applying for competitive merit at some of these colleges? She sounds like a good candidate to me, though I can’t remember at this point if you have test scores. Some maight require test scores.

One issue with high volume app strategy is that the kids tend to get burned out on the essays and the comp scholarships typically require more specific essays. That said, you’re well past the need for that sort of observation at this point.

I am one that does not think being from an under-performing school is necessarily a disadvantage as far as admissions, because it allows for the kids to stand out from their peers. My older daughter who did exceptionally well in competitive scholarships, including receiving STAMPS at Ga Tech, did not have a high powered academic background. She was primarily homeschooled. She ended up at an Ivy, as did another extended family member from a local public, nothing-special, school. It’s all about what they do with their school experience. It sounds like your daughter made the most of it.

I appreciate your willingness to chat about your experience here, as it has livened up the discussion! And also because you have taken the trophy from my student as the kid with the most apps in play. Ha! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What about gap year and re-apply with the new information you have now, and perhaps testing? Have them do something interesting in the meantime.

2 Likes

I have seen a few posts pretty close to that tone and found them unrealistic and entitled sounding vs the vast majority of posts seeking helpful information. Not trying to be snide.

The options in the UK can be affordable even with travel. A couple of friends have kids are at St. Andres for a fraction of what a similar school would be in the US and with merit money for University College Dublin, and it is a great deal. Pretty shocking and pretty easy to research online and many virtual info sessions (Trinity, Univ of Aberdeen, Univ of Edinborough, etc.) The Trinity/Columbia Univ 2/2 program is an interesting option too, we know a first year who loves it so far.

1 Like

Given the recent 75th percentile of 1480-1490 and 34, and the general advice to apply test optional below the median, a 2021 median around the previous 75th percentile is to be expected, IMO. This is another supporting data point to what I’ve previously posted.

‘21-22 CDS’s and next year’s admission process are going to be a mess.

3 Likes

If every applicant follows the advice, wouldn’t the median keep rising and become meaningless eventually?

15 Likes

My S22 is applying ED. Decisions get released later this week. Deep breaths, deep breaths.

Tonight, I got an email from the financial aid office letting me know they were working on his “financial aid application” and I had failed to submit one document through IDOC and had made a mistake on another.

So now I have two questions from opposite ends of the scale: 1) on the “oh no” side of things: have I doomed my son’s admission in the ED round because I got the IDOC requirements wrong? 2) Or, on the “maybe yay” side of things: does this signal he’s going to be admitted? (Or do schools complete financial aid applications for all potential students?)

2 Likes

No advice, but good luck! I can’t imagine the stress waiting on an ED decision. Hope it goes his way.

1 Like

I don’t think the financial-aid process affects the admissions process one way or the other, unless the school is an increasingly rare need-aware one that takes aid into account. At need-blind schools (some of which further commit to meeting full need, and some of which don’t), the admissions committee ignores everything to do with financial aid, which proceeds on a separate track. Given that the process is separate, the financial-aid office just compiles complete aid applications in case of admittance. At least, all of that is my understanding – others can holler if I’m wrong.

6 Likes

Heather Cox Richardson!

2 Likes

Yes, for ED applicants. Colleges that offer ED must also complete FA offers to those applicants who indicated they need FA at the same time (or within a few days), so those admitted can decide whether to make the commitment before the colleges’ deadlines. Since the FA office can’t wait until the admission decision is made by the admissions office, it must work on all the FA applications simultaneously. The colleges that offer EA (or SCEA/REA) work differently. They typically don’t even look at FA applications until the students are admitted.

3 Likes

You did not doom your student because they need extra clarification via IDOC. Realize that all schools (whether they request it or not) will be able to see the info that you upload into IDOC. If you title your document, “Harvard’s financials”, Yale, Princeton, Stanford will all be able to see the doc with the Harvard title.

2 Likes