Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Wishing everyone good luck and sending virtual prayers for you students out there in CC Land!

8 Likes

Good to know. It’s still about 5 days after almost all of the top-tiers’ ED1’s, assuming the stragglers come out this week.

Don’t yet know the breakdown of that second bullet between ED1 and ED2. So we’ll have to see if they send those emails again this year. I certainly accept that I could be wrong.

So they will defer the vast majority of their EA applicants and let them know this a few days before Christmas. That’s rough. I’m certain my D will be in that group and Tulane is her top choice. It will be a tough night next Monday. At least I have a week to think about something to cheer her up.

2 Likes

My son threw in the free app to Tulane to help lower their admission rate. Kudos to the Green Wave for boosting its yield by 25% (e.g., 36% to 45%}.

I wonder if ED will make up 75% or more of some classes in a few years. It’s already over 50% at a few universities.

1 Like

Yes. Hence the

‘21-22 CDS’s and next year’s admission process are going to be a mess.

Does anyone believe that a 1530 shouldn’t be submitted to NYU next year, because the “median” was 1540 this year? Slightly up form 75% last year, and no data on percentage submitting SAT. NYU Admits its Most Diverse Freshman Class

I’m not sure “eventually” is far away.

5 Likes

I haven’t heard that NYU does this, but in some cases it’s the school AOs telling students to not send scores unless they are at the median (looking at you Conn College and Tulane).

There was a spirited Twitter exchange last night regarding a situation at Conn College, where the AO actually contacted an applicant and asked they change their app to test optional:

https://mobile.twitter.com/James_S_Murphy/status/1470034375676940292

1 Like

What do you mean by “get off the hook”? You mean get out of the binding contract or use the original NPC estimate to leverage better aid?

I took that to mean get out of the binding agreement.

You don’t need a copy of the NPC to break the binding ED agreement. If the financial aid package is not affordable, a student can move on. No problem, no penalty. No college would force a student to accept an FA package the family does not think is affordable. The ED police are not coming.

4 Likes

Very emotional day as D’s ED decision is due tomorrow. 3 boys from her high school have applied ED to that school and 20 applied ED to NYU. So far her friends (from public and private schools) are heading to WashU, Elon, Tulane, BC, Occidental, Skidmore, Gettysburg.

D got a Presidential Scholarship to Delaware the other day, $15k a year. I was excited anyway.

25 Likes

Congrats on the Presidential Scholarship! Hoping she gets her ED, but that is an excellent accomplishment!

3 Likes

This was a question we had–DS applied EA to a couple of schools (e.g., Northeastern)–will we be able to switch to ED if things don’t go well with his ED school this week? How does he do that?

Re some schools going to ED over EA. We saw this at one of our state schools, UNC-Asheville. They have dropped EA completely and now only offer ED and RD. I assumed it’s because they were a second or third choice for too many kids and kids were getting in EA, but not going there.

2 Likes

Of course those stats are higher due to test optional.

1 Like

You can usually change from EA to ED on the school’s applicant portal. Note that at some point there is often a lockout period before decisions are released, so might move quickly of the ED1 falls through or if you don’t have an ED1.

1 Like

This waiting on ED is awful! I hope to keep seeing your posts about acceptances
 It’s nice to cheer on your kids and keeps the hope alive while the rest of us wait for decisions to be released! I just wish it wasn’t during Finals! (BTW, my son is handling this much better than I am, so yay for him being realistic about his chances.)

9 Likes

Yes, Northeastern allows you to do that. Their ED2 deadline is Jan. 1. Look at their admissions website for information on the NU Accelerate program benefits for ED students. I would contact the Admissions office if you have questions about the process to switch.

1 Like

Thanks so much- can this be done through the portal?

I don’t know because my son didn’t do that. Whenever I call NU (mostly with billing questions) they are always very nice.

As Tom Petty sang, :musical_note: “the waiting is the hardest part” :musical_note:

10 Likes