Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Yes, it’s terrible. I am so sorry you are going into the weekend with this disappointment.

3 Likes

Ugh, that stinks. This process is such a roller coaster.

3 Likes

Now I am thinking about it, lol. Please let me know if you remember the name!

1 Like

D22 is one of those with many applications in as there are a number of considerations and much uncertainty between now and May, and most of the results are back. Really, all the ones she cares about are back.There are a few I thought might be a good idea out there, and two of those are her only reaches. She has been accepted by all, though Penn State’s acceptance involves 2 years at a satellite campus. so a somewhat conditional acceptance, I guess. She has gotten enough scholarship money from all that most could be doable, though a few would be hard to justify at what they would cost.

She has a scholarship weekend at her favorite next month, and then I think we float for a bit, probably do some visits (a major expedition from our location.) The spring break band trip was cancelled, which gives us more time with which to play.

6 Likes

I just went searching for the restaurant’s name. I think it was in the location where Molly’s Restaurant is, and the menu seems similar, though I don’t see the seared tuna. I suppose it could have been a seasonal event; was there in spring! Plenty of good food nearby to enjoy though.

1 Like

Yes, thank goodness he has one acceptance. And he seems to like it. If it ends up being his only acceptance he’d have a great education there. I just think he really wants to have a few schools to choose from. But it’s competitive out there!

Congratulations to all those who have gotten acceptances! Truly happy for you and your kids.

And hugs to all those suffering painful disappointment. It’s been a lot harder emotionally than I expected, but as has been said repeatedly, our kids will find a good fit somewhere.

12 Likes

I am expecting that despite three acceptances, the ones DS most cares about will probably not respond for at least a couple months.

3 Likes

Congratulations to everyone with acceptances! And to those whose kiddos were disappointed, sending hugs. Your kiddos will find their place. We are still waiting. Only two schools are early for us and haven’t heard back yet. Finishing up the last of the RD apps so my son won’t be making any decisions until the spring.

10 Likes

Ooo sorry about the deferral. I might not pass that swag onto mom just yet though. Might be a bit of salt in the wound and you might yet still need it for your D22 if she gets in!

10 Likes

Congrats! I’m Northwestern class of ’92. Great, great school. Go ’Cats!

4 Likes

Love to hear that people loved their time there! He is so excited! We are, too, but this TX boy is going to freeze!

4 Likes

Tough break with the deferral, but don’t give up hope — people definitely do get in after deferrals. Good luck! You’ve got a whole bunch of fellow parents pulling for you.

2 Likes

Same situation here. :grimacing:

D22 received a request for mid-year grades from RHIT, so that was a bit disappointing, but with great scholarships to MSU, Iowa State, and direct admit to Luddy + some scholarship money to Indiana she is keeping a pretty level head about all of it!

She is applying to major in CS, so it all feels like a crapshoot. So far no outright rejections yet, but Pitt also wants mid-year grades. That’s her top choice, but Indiana won her over the minute we stepped on campus this summer so she would also be very happy with that option.

I’m encouraging her to work on as many scholarships as she can right now while she waits for the rest of her decisions to come in. She’s expecting a denial from CWRU, Purdue, UIUC, UW-Madison and Cal Poly, but feels she has a decent shot at CU Boulder and Virginia Tech. William and Mary is a “why not, let’s see what happens” just so she could consider a different type of school.

5 Likes

Mid-year grade requests are pretty common.

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind words! Feeling better today with ED2 plans (and sunny vacation skies :sunglasses:) I’m so grateful for this community and being able to vent!!!

5 Likes

Hi - what are the implications of dropping a course after first semester in senior year? D22 plans to pursue business/finance/economics etc in college. She has finished Honors Physics 1st semester ( maintaining A) but wants to drop it in second semester to focus on the courses relevant to her college major. Will there be any impact for Regular Decision or the ones where she got acceptance? Thanks in advance

If your daughter submitted the app already and the schedule changes, you’ll need to provide the update and reason why to the AO. They normally frown upon dropping the class (although you daughter has a legit reason) since they include senior year schedule in course rigor assessment and assume why the student submit is accurate.

I heard this in two different versions from UC Irvine to Brown. My son wrote and told them that he wasn’t planning on taking the AP exams like he indicated and he got the variated response of “that’s fine and thanks for letting us know your reason but we expect you to maintain your course rigor and grades, etc.”

2 Likes

got it. thanks for the context. appreciate it

wndrwmn, Congratulations to your son! My mother, father, sister and niece all spent time in Evanston, and they all loved it.

2 Likes