Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Off the top of my head:

• Know how their medical insurance works - phone number, co-pays, pharmacy, etc.
  • Know their medical history (last tetanus shot, medication allergies, etc)
  • Learn what different OTC medications are used for.
  • Set up their own bank accounts, credit card and online banking
  • Learn how to do laundry
  • Learn how to cook at least a few meals
  • Passport is often needed if applying to work on campus so make sure that is up to date and they bring it with them
  • Learn how to back up their computer.

ETA: Help set up Venmo and ride-share apps. Teach them about Uber/Lyft safety.

12 Likes

There’s an old thread on this topic I’ve been perusing: Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen

7 Likes

Also, to be clear, there are a different set of items for when they are under 18 and then when they turn 18. When they are under 18, you need to help them get a way to get them access to money - we did a credit card in their name that was attached to ours and we did a Step (https://step.com/) card for ATM withdrawals.

Once they turn 18, then they can get whatever bank accounts they want on their own, passports, etc but we still wanted health care power of attorney in case something happens. We did that through Mama Bear (https://www.mamabearlegalforms.com/).

7 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Once a child is 18, you may not have access to information on them if they are hospitalized or unable to give consent. With a health care POA, they are allowing you to have access/input in the event that they are unable to authorize that information flow. Some states require the form to be notarized, others might not, so find the form where your child is attending school and get it filled out according to the state’s regulations. Then in the event of an accident, you can present the POA to the hospital and they will tell you about the condition of your child. Not something one likes to think about, but very important if there is an emergency.

8 Likes

Thank you. We had no idea about this.

1 Like

This is a great list.

• get all the Rx needed. I’m drawing a friggin blank but there is one set of shots that have to be given (the school will specify, but make sure to check with the school vax check list).
  • S21 wasn’t 17 but if your child is 18, get a power of attorney and health directive done (we did that this winter break)
  • I made a copy and laminated a wallet size COVID vax card and added it to his apple wallet also on his phone. Have him bring his COVID vax card in case booster is needed. Don’t lose it!
  • make sure they know how to use the ATM card. We tested it at the ATM by campus on a campus visit
  • check to make sure there isn’t summer work. Some schools assign summer reading
  • Make sure you book hotel for moving weekend NOW (refundable). They get booked up
  • get other medical appointments in—dentist, orthodontist, etc.
  • check the school checklist and follow it.
  • Also for computer stuff, once they get the school email address assigned, students should get a ton of free or discount software—MS 360, Office, etc.
9 Likes

I don’t know if anyone here has a kid applying to Denison, but S22 has applied and today got an email suggesting he apply ED2. Does everyone get that email or might that be a good sign? Just trying to read the tea leaves. :grin:

My S22 got the same email. Not sure if it’s a sign of anything, though.

Mama Bear legal forms (mentioned here) allows you to get a set of forms for your home state, and also another set for an additional state (where they go to school), in case there are slight differences. You should also make sure your child signs the FERPA waiver as this will give you access to educational stuff. It amazing that at 18 you legally aren’t allowed to see ANYTHING related to their school, even if you are responsible for paying the bills. FYI, the cannot sign the forms until they are 18. I have mine printed and ready to go. :joy:

5 Likes

Same. Not reading anything into it, other than it looks like yield protection for them.

1 Like

Thank you. We will definitely follow all the advice. We were not aware of these .

D22 got the Denison email as well

Warning about Denison. D applied last year RD. Didn’t show much interest. Got waitlisted but her letter said she’d get $25,000 merit if she chose to accept her spot on the WL. No guidance counselor or private counselor I talked to had ever seen that before. We didn’t pursue it but it does show that, even for kids they’d lure with merit, they might WL. That way, it doesn’t hurt their yield if the student doesn’t enroll. Our assumption is that, had she accepted that spot on the WL, she would have been accepted.

6 Likes

Interesting. Did your D visit campus or was that not possible due to Covid?

No we didn’t visit. She didn’t do the virtual events either and did not go to the meeting when the AO did a virtual visit to her high school. They knew she was using Denison as a safety I’m sure.

Events with required interviews for scholarships are important. Check to see if there are virtual options.

D22 developed a severe cough at the end of the application cycle. she has interviews lined up :frowning:

1 Like

Oh no, hopefully she can postpone the interviews if she’s not feeling well.

interesting. I want to understand the logic of protecting the yield-- is it like they are shaking the branches of the tree to see which dead leaves fall off, and which ones stay attached? Because simply going on the waitlist doesn’t prevent a student from getting an offer and refusing it. Is it that they just want to double check the level of interest?

Could also be something Denison does only with students who don’t have DI to get them to demonstrate some.