Parents of the HS Class of 2022

We haven’t gotten to the stage of looking at admitted events yet, but what you say makes a lot of sense.

S22 is done with his essays and applications! WashU, Lehigh and Rice are submitted.

21 Likes

Well BAMA and Case Western two very different schools types and locations so those two should help clarify the type of place he wants. When I visited BAMA with D21 I was surprised by what a beautiful campus it was. Also very well laid out. My daughter did not like the idea of being in the south and so far away from home.

1 Like

My D22 also just applied to Lehigh, she pulled that one out of thin air last week, when she found they have a major that really intrigued her and is pretty unique. We really know nothing about the school, though I did read they meet need, which is important for us. She submits George Washington today and then she’s done. I’m as happy as she is about it as I don’t want to proof read another essay :wink:

@burghdad I agree, the BAMA campus is beautiful, I loved the wide open spaces. D22 did not want to apply though.

6 Likes

Ooh! @professionaldad thanks for reminding me to play PowerBall tonight!! It’s huge!

3 Likes

Lehigh is a very good school and it pains me to say that as a Lafayette grad(serious rivals). About 6500 students. Historically has been a heavy engineering school. In fact their sports team were named the Engineers for many years until I think sometime in the 80’s. They have definitely improved their liberal arts programs and have a pretty good business focus as well.

The campus is in Bethlehem PA. Bethlehem is part of the Lehigh Valley which includes Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton. The LV is the third largest population area in PA after Philly and Pittsburgh. It is probably about 80 minute drive to NYC; 60 minutes to Philly; about 60 minutes to Pocono Mountain and 2 hours or so to the Jersey shore. So a very convenient location.

It is a pretty campus but is does sit on the side of a hill so there is lots of up and down walking from classes to dorms. Has a decent amount of Greek life but of course lots of schools have that and plenty for non greek students to do.

1 Like

Many of the competitive invitation only scholarship events require participation to be eligible. My D18 did one at University of Delaware called Distinguished Scholars and it was a live weekend visit. My D21 did one at Miami of Ohio and called Presidential Fellows and it was a day long virtual event. Both included interviews with faculty members and administrative personnel.

I am wondering about no-interview events. For example, University of Oregon is having a visiting day for “top scholars.” I assume Stamps Scholarship finalists may be interviewed then, but the event is open to all who received automatic merit scholarships or Honors College admission, I think, and there are no scheduled interviews associated with the main event.

There are more discretionary merit scholarships potentially available for distribution, however. My daughter already did a general visit in December. Would not attending the January event make a difference in receiving further merit awards? That’s what I don’t know.

1 Like

We’ll, our EFC is low, so a lottery school that meets need really is worth about $300k… so a lottery in several ways. :wink:

6 Likes

Told D22 her college was gonna be fully covered. Got the ticket right here.

4 Likes

same!!

1 Like

No. You already have the offer. Congratulations on your offers, BTW.

It probably would not hurt to reach out to schools in which you are most interested, and ask about Zoom meetings or alumni near you. I assume you are trying to gather a bit more information before making your final decision, right?

1 Like

DS22 is already having a much better Spring semester than Fall. He was stressed fall semester with the applications, a health scare (nothing to worry about, but didn’t find that out until just before Christmas), recovering from a stress fracture of his shin which he was afraid would sideline him from his last year of HS Tennis (not the same thing as the health scare), and feeling alone in his classes (didn’t share a single class with any friends.) But today he had his first varsity tennis practice at which he kicked butt, one of his good friends switched into his English class, he gets his tennis coach as his Econ teacher, and with all the health issues pretty much behind him, he’s really optimistic. Hopefully he can finally relax and enjoy the end of HS.

Today I also realized he probably doesn’t know the locations of all the colleges he applied to. We’re in CA and he applied to 13 in-state colleges between the CSUs and UCs. He has only been able to visit a few of the nearby ones so far (CPP, SDSU, and CSUSM) and probably didn’t really have a sense of where they are in the state. We added a bunch of other schools right before the due dates and I know he has no idea where some of those are. I know I could pull out a map of the state and just point to each location, but I’m sure he’d lose track of them pretty quickly. So tonight I created a quick PPT with a map of CA and then pinned each CSU and UC where they belong. I’ll give it to him tomorrow so he can use it as a reference as results come in.

We’re doing a visit to Cal Poly SLO in early March. I figure we’ll do a quick drive-by of UCSB as we drive home. I checked out their campus and discovered their Engineering building is right on the beach. I don’t know how they get anything done at that school! LOL!

18 Likes

Hi - is there a checklist of things parents can go through with students in the next few months so they are prepped for college? e.g. drivers license, stuff they need to learn to live on campus? thanks

7 Likes

One thing to consider is a health care power of attorney. Once they are 18, parents may not have access in an emergency situation.

19 Likes

This x1000. Get this done early.

2 Likes

Getting their passports is also very helpful, if they don’t already have one.

7 Likes

D22 finally finished submitting all her apps as of last night! :sweat_smile:

Now, the wait begins…

Many of her EA decisions are yet to come later this month. Then a month’s break, then all her RD decisions.
These next few months will pass very slowly :smirk:

23 Likes

Yes! We had to use it this past year and what a relief it was to be able to get information on our son! So many people do not do this and I am afraid for them.

2 Likes

Hi, can you please elaborate more on this. Thank you. We plan to explore medical insurance, explore phone plan including international, bank accounts/ credit card specially if they will not be 18 when they start college. Passport and TSA pre check. Immunization list and medical forms as they are college specific. Plan out the physical, dental and eye visits as it’s a challenge to get appointments.

1 Like