Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Most schools don’t want emails at all. Clunky and overwhelming, especially for documents. It is automated and through Common App or other portal. The GC will be fine and doesn’t need help even though well meaning. You can have your applicant check their portal and see if there is a place for them to self-report unofficial mid-year grades. Some colleges have that so they can evaluate it before the official grades for the term come out.

3 Likes

Check in with the GC to see what their process is. My D’s GC automatically sent Q1 report cards to every school, and I assume she will do the same for mid-year reports. No input from us.

2 Likes

We got similar info from our GC. She’ll take care of uploading mid-year transcripts to common app/coalition, Any school that my D22 applied to, we will need to let our GC know so she can upload it there as well. Mine did that for MIT as that’s a different portal altogether. Most other schools are taken care with common/coalition portals.

2 Likes

I think your son’s hardships and his perseverance are exactly what a holistic admissions process is for. It’s not excuse-making at all to point out circumstances beyond his control that would have made things markedly easier for him had they not been as they were. Hope he’ll have good results.

More milestone news for my S22: As of this morning, he’s a fully licensed driver. Took his road test in harshly cold conditions (5 degrees, -9 with the wind chill) and passed. He said he thought he hadn’t done very well — the assessor stopped him halfway through his parallel parking, and he briefly forgot to put the car in reverse on his three-point turn — but I gather that this was one of the assessors who’s not a point-by-point stickler looking to fail people arbitrarily. Instead, they just see if this is a confident, competent driver who’s going to be safe and conscientious on the roads. That’s S22, and I’m glad it worked out. The funny thing is, he’s not going to have access to a car for very long: We’re moving to NYC in July and giving up our car, and of course he won’t need one while attending NYU. But at least he’s licensed and ready for the future.

34 Likes

D22 finished her final two applications today! She completed four in total this past week–two are probably rejections and the other two are likely admits but it’s a question of how much money the schools will offer. She applied for a total of 16 schools, but three are UCs and four are CSUs. She applied to schools in eight different states!

20 Likes

That’s a statistic I never thought of before.
7 applications and 7 different states for S22.

4 Likes

My kid applied to schools in 11 different states!

3 Likes

D22 applied to schools in 10 states plus Washington DC.

3 Likes

S22 applied to 13 states,
which is surprising since he said he doesn’t want to go too far from home.

5 Likes

5 schools, 3 states here

1 Like

1 school, 1 state.

5 Likes

Same. One school. One state.

Might have been 10 schools, 7 states.

4 Likes

That was me 40 years ago. Pepperdine.

1 Like

Congratulations! It is quite a relief when it’s all done.
S22 applied to 15 colleges in 6 states and 1 foreign country!

4 Likes

D22 ended up with 20 colleges in 11 states. A lot more than she had planned to apply to when she started shortlisting in August, but as she learned more (about herself as well as about colleges she hadn’t considered) the list grew.

5 Likes

8 schools, 6 states here.

3 Likes

8 schools, 1 state

3 Likes

6 applications and 5 states for my D22

3 Likes

8 applications, 7 states for my D18

3 Likes

4 applications, 4 states for my D22.

3 Likes