Parents of the HS Class of 2022

My understanding was that since yield is factored into admissions, it does not help others. Maybe if you decline EA before RD results are out, it does help.

Late to the game here but 11 states and a province. Most in one state is 5, then 3, and neither are the home state. And this is all assuming Iā€™m not forgetting any of the kidā€™s appsā€¦

1 Like

That being the case, there is no point to the waitlist.

1 Like

Pre-Covid I would have said let them know, but life has become so unpredictable these past 2 years. Iā€™d wait until you have to.

3 Likes

5 colleges, 3 states. Would have added at least one additional app/state if she had gone to the RD round. Interestingly we live in New England, home of colleges, but she didnā€™t apply to a single college in any New England state (though three were in adjoining NY).

1 Like

This discussion about # colleges and states reminded me of something a Californian friend mentioned to me a few months ago.

He said thereā€™s a tendency among many high-stat kids in CA (particularly the Bay Area) to apply to multiple out of state safeties that they have no intention of attending.

So Iā€™m curious to hear from the CA parents here if you think thatā€™s true. Do you know someone whoā€™s done this? If yes, what would the motivation be, when these kids have excellent in state safeties?

1 Like

My sonā€™s only safety was Arizona. Heā€™s high stats from top ranked public high school. There is intense competition for UCLA and UCB- our school admits at each school almost 45/year but kids are so competitive so itā€™s not an easy admit. I am not sure what others do- we have so many other great campuses and good CSUs as well.

The problem is that very few schools in CA can be considered safeties.

5 Likes

Even for high stat kids? The ones that are competitive at T-20s?

My Cali D22 applied to three OOS safeties, though she was/is open to attending them if her other options donā€™t work out. However, on the small-school LAC side of things, California is not awash in safety schools. If kids arenā€™t interested in the UC or CSU systems, or a Catholic college, the options are more limited and looking OOS makes sense.

5 Likes

From my experience the out of state safeties that a lot of the students in California apply for offer more of a traditional residential campus experience than what might be considered in state safeties in California. (Arizona/ASU/Oregon/Oregon State receive a lot of applications from California.)

4 Likes

At the top UCs the admit rate for the top GPA tier is around 35% across all majors. For CS and Engineering the admit rates can be even lower. At those odds,itā€™s prudent and critical to apply for OOS.

3 Likes

I see. Good insights everyone
Thank you!

Iā€™m not sure I understand your question. High stat CA kids are applying to T-20s as safeties? Or are you talking about high stat kids applying to places like Alabama that offer good financial packages?

Hi @lkg4answers, no - T20s are definitely not safeties for anyone so I wasnā€™t implying that. I meant students who are competitive enough to get into a T-20 applying to multiple OOS safeties - and specifically to colleges they would not ever enroll in.

I definitely understand applying to an an OOS that offers good financial aid, and applying to colleges that are acceptable backups - those are all good reasons. But my friend said kids were applying to auto-admit type colleges and laughing off the acceptances with ā€œIā€™m never going thereā€.

But based on the responses here so far, that doesnā€™t seem to be a trend. Maybe specific to his daughterā€™s HS/class.

If the kid wouldnā€™t be caught dead attending said college, it was never a safety in the first place, just a waste of app fee for the parents.

5 Likes

At our school, many of the kids that apply to T20 schools would likely go to UC Irvine, UCSB, or UCSD or Davis rather than attend Arizona, for example (if they are only wanting UCs and donā€™t get into UCLA or UCB.)

In that sense, I donā€™t think it matters if the safety is in state or out of state. The type of kid you are talking about probably doesnā€™t want to attend any of their safeties.

I think a lot of CA kids who apply OOS arenā€™t looking at the money. Or maybe their parents arenā€™t paying attention until after the kid is admitted. In the end, many kids who get into OOS schools end up choosing a UC or CSU due to cost.

3 Likes

Right, that makes sense. To further clarify my previous post about T20 applicants - I meant, if these are the types of kids who are getting accepted into T20s, then surely one of the UCs or CSUs or Cal Poly is a safety for them?

1 Like

Thatā€™s how it is at my sonā€™s school. These top kids do get into one of those 6 UCs.

1 Like