Parents of the HS Class of 2022

He’a very happy!!! I miss him like crazy (first born) but literally as sappy as it sounds, seeing his happy face when we FT and hearing what he’s up to couldn’t make me happier seeing his joy.

2 Likes

Just placed order! Thanks a million times!

2 Likes

My D’s school says some dorms have XL twins and some regular & she won’t know what dorm she is in until summer. Can’t even buy sheets which is driving me crazy & everything will be sold out by the time we find out.

I just looked again & they say this. So I guess I’ll be buying some XL linens since she won’t know where she is living until a few weeks before school starts!

“Most houses have twin XL mattresses and getting bed linens for twin XL beds is the best way to go as the worst case scenario still allows you to use them (you just have to do a little more tucking). Besides, many students opt to bring mattress pads/covers and having the extra material from twin XL sheets can be quite useful.”

4 Likes

I very much want to take advantage of this sale on the mattress topper, but I realized that with McGill in the mix, there’s a chance kid won’t end up with a twin XL bed (I think La Citadelle has double beds)…anyone else in the same boat (are there other colleges with some freshman beds not being twin XL)? Or any McGill experts that can tell me anything? Thanks

I would like to get one, but what if my D is not accepted anywhere she applied to in the US? As it is, it would be in packaging for 5 months….do they tend to have later sales, or is it a once a year thing?

They do usually have another sale around Memorial Day and Independence Day (iirc). We bought ours last summer, while on sale.

4 Likes

Thanks! Ordered the mattress topper. Crazy to think of ordering college stuff for him. I 'm not ready! :joy:

3 Likes

I guess we will hope for that next sale too. I just looked and some are regular twin and some XL.

We bought our topper in May last year. It arrived within 3 weeks and we kept it in the box until S opened it up in dorm in August. (They do expand very well out of the box. He had a noon dorm arrival appt and it was fully opened up and expanded by that evening.)

They go in/out of stock. And the sales do return.

I brought it to attention now just bc I happened to see they were on sale and in stock. I’m one to act on a purchase when I can if I know I’m going to need it eventually. But I know that not everyone knows that info yet. :blush:

7 Likes

On the subject of buying for next year, does anyone have a recommendation for a sturdy, robust student laptop (not Apple/Mac)?

I am thinking a 2-in-1 with decent memory and storage, camera and microphone, and possible device for watching movies.

But I don’t really want to spend more than $1000.

Thoughts?

@CMA22 My older son’s major recommended laptop brands and specifications. You may want to look into that first.

3 Likes

For students not pursuing engineering or CS, I was not aware that major programs made any recommendations— is that not the case?

Edited to add: I see some of the business schools also have published recommendations— thanks for the tip!

1 Like

No advice on McGill but in the same boat with S22 applying to universities in Japan and not knowing if he will end up there or here in the US.

D18 is at ASU and freshman dorm had twin XL beds.

Parent of 21 here x twins - bought these toppers when on sale last year and not sure if I really saved us much. It is very heavy and had to be its own checked box incurring that expense. Ideal if driving, but wish I waited and just direct shipped to dorm or hotel.

Some posters recommend opening and airing out - we didn’t and my two picky kids said no smell straight from the packaging.

Highly recommend a topper and lots of options.

6 Likes

We waited to open the topper until we moved D20 into her dorm room for sophomore year. No smell and was fully decompressed in about 45 minutes; super easy to put the twin xl sheets on over it.

We do drive D20 out to school, agree completely with @coffeeat3 to ship to school or hotel directly if you are not driving, the box is big and heavy.

Not looking forward to packaging it up this spring for the drive home…any tips from experience parents very welcomed.

It is very compact when delivered and it fit in our samsonite tote a ton and traveled nicely across the country. S21 loves his tempurpedic topper! This is a great price.

@songbirdmama S21 is at Brown and from Sep-Mid Oct the room was really hot. No AC. He said it was fine and in the winter, no problem.

It was forecasted to rain (torrential) so I ended up not opening up the mattress from the packaging and S21’s roommate confirmed he didn’t have scent allergies so we risked and opened it upon move in. No scent issues.

1 Like

Our twin xl topper fit perfectly in the ikea zippered fratka bag, as if it was made just for that purpose! You need two people to do this.

5 Likes

Yay, we love those FRAKTA bags, will bring an extra for that purpose!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Same, I think we needed 6 to move our daughter into her dorm. Best college packing item ever :raised_hands:

5 Likes