Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Can you remember how this is packaged? My daughter is going to San Diego and we are in DC, so not sure we should order ahead and then ship out a bunch of stuff.

1 Like

In a solid, sturdy box.

Here is a picture of a very similar Tempur pedic box that has a body pillow in it. So not quite the same but very similar.

Note: My S21 did NOT take a body pillow to college.

Tempur Pedic had a BOGO sale on pillows and body pillows in June or July so my younger S and I took advantage and bought some of each.

1 Like

Wow thanks. Just trying to figure out if we should buy local and ship every thing out or try and get delivered after sheā€™s there.

D22 just found out she is a Stamps Scholar for University of Oregon! The experience has been tremendous and sheā€™s very excited.

49 Likes

Both of my kids travel across the country for school. We shipped as much as we could directly to the school. My daughterā€™s school let us ship items after July 1st. My sonā€™s school only let us ship after August 15th. If you know where you are going to stay for move in you can usually call your hotel and arrange to have items shipped there as well. It will save you a lot on shipping and baggage fees if you ship directly to the school. We still had to lug 4 large bags across country even though we had bought directly shipped a bunch of items. Good luck to you all this acceptance season :blush:!!

3 Likes

Iā€™d encourage parents and students new to this process to not overbuy. If you realize you forgot something, you can get it the next day with Amazon Prime (have your kid use their .edu address for the student discount).

17 Likes

Some are full XL

Thank you, this is extremely helpful information. We are visiting the school in April, so hopefully I can figure out the rules.

Congratulations! Thatā€™s quite an honor!

6 Likes

When my son and niece moved into the dorms at SDSU, they had a Bed, Bath and Beyond booth on campus. We picked up a few last minute items there. Not sure if they will be there this year but BBB offers Pack and Hold, where you order items on-line, they will packed and held for pickup at the nearest BBB to campus. Also recommend Target that offers a similar service.

3 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s incredibly helpful. I saw a service, College Boxes, that you can box and ship to their warehouse. They say, they deliver to your room on move in day. Iā€™m not sure if SDSU will allow, but itā€™s listed on their site. Iā€™m thinking itā€™s going to be a lot to slept and put together in one day.

1 Like

The one watch out, depending on where you are heading, you may risk out of stock. I was 100% so glad we packed things and checked them in. Just had to go to Costco to make a run for sundries and personal care things when we got there. Parents who ordered beddings thru the school didnā€™t receive them. ALL of the targets, Walmarts, BBBeyond we went to (last min request for a shoe rack) had empty shelves.

Congratulations !! Thatā€™s a big honor.

2 Likes

Congratulations! Thatā€™s a great honor!

3 Likes

Itā€™s also very likely that there is a Walmart, Target, BB&B, and many other stores in the area, catering to students. I wouldnā€™t bother pre-buying and shipping/transporting the small essentials unless you have plenty of space.

2 Likes

So XL is same as long?

Did she get into Purdue?

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Thanks, just ordered even though I donā€™t know where sheā€™ll be!

1 Like

She did not get into CS or her 2nd choice Data Science at Purdue. She was invited to apply for Exploratory Studies, or maybe she was told she would be admitted to ES if she replied, Iā€™m not sure. The wording was:
The best opportunity to ensure a spot at Purdue this semester is for you to start in our Exploratory Studies program. If you would like to begin in Exploratory Studies, please complete the Exploratory Offer Reply Form in your Purdue application status portal within 15 days of receiving this email. Shortly after submission of the reply form, an admit decision to the Exploratory Studies program will be issued to you in the application status portal.

At first it sounded like she was deferred and would be reconsidered for ES, but now that I reread it maybe they were saying if she wanted ES she would be admitted. I donā€™t know. In any case, she like Purdue ok but didnā€™t have any strong feelings about the school and has direct admit options at 3 other schools that she really likes. Purdue was on the list because it has a great program and has a decent OOS price tag. If she had gotten into CS it would have been hard to turn down! But the ES option sounded like another round of applications and waiting and she anticipated just getting another rejection either in a few weeks or later on when she went through ES and tried again for CS.

3 Likes