Parents of the HS Class of 2022

It was behind a paywall, but I’m sure most people frequenting CC can guess what it might be saying.

3 Likes

Yes, we’re looking for flexibility too.

DD is interested in theatre, music (performance & composing), math and history/poli sci. All over the place. She applied to mostly LACs and Ivies, but also strategically to some larger schools (applied for music at our flagship UMD since they have a separate music school that requires audition, knowing that theatre is more open for adding as a major or engaging as a nonmajor).

I helped her research initially to see which schools had faculty/programs that could support a variety of interests and which did not restrict mainstage shows and/or music ensembles to majors. It’s tricky! Waiting on 8 RD decisions but with a great flagship and mid tier LAC in hand.

For people who have kids who want to be a part of music ensembles or in theatre productions but not major in these, I would check out of the schools restrict their opportunities to majors only. That might be important!

In the end, I think the ability to have strong faculty support in a variety of options will be the key for mine, since we’ve checked the other aspects before applying.

And, of course, money. that will be tough. State flagship offered honors and merit and will be very cheap and good school. So hoping our CSS profile equates to affordability!

8 Likes

Oh, yes, I forgot this. We will be checking that out as well!

1 Like

Anyone else witnessing nasty/jealous behavior from other students over admissions yet? There has been quite the indignation on the part of previously boastful and arrogant students (you can guess) upon learning that kiddo and others were accepted early or by now….

This is what my kid, as well as friends, have heard about being accepted to schools so far:

“The only reason why (insert name here) was accepted was because the parents made a HUGE donation”

“ How did they get in?? Kiddo isn’t smart”

“ Pay to Play”

“ They are not smart enough to go there”

“ They will flunk out by December”

“ They must know someone high up”

“ Parents must be alums”

“ Call the Justice Department” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Attention snarky students: Your indignation and rude comments are amusing to us….keep it going :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I don’t know. College admission decisions can be bewildering for mature adults let alone immature kids. At the Columbia information session they said they could fill the class seven times over with kids who could do the work. Georgetown said they reject half the applicants with perfect SAT scores. The process can feel very arbitrary, unfair and hard to make sense of. But hopefully even those grousing end up with good choices where they can be happy.

9 Likes

I went on a little rant about this on another thread. The long and short of it is that every year as decisions come out there are parents who are surprised when certain schools don’t accept their kids. And instead of chalking it up to another case of schools having too many qualified kids for the number of spots available, they start accusing the schools of nefarious or underhanded practices. (Yield protection is a favorite culprit.) We’ve tried to remind ourselves that there will be surprises - schools that say yes that we didn’t expect and schools that say no that we didn’t expect. But to suggest that the reason your kid got a rejection is because the school is being devious or because accepted students have somehow duped the school, is just uncool.

16 Likes

No, but I don’t think my D22’s school rolls that way. The kids there just aren’t that interested in Top 20/Top 40 unless it’s local and I think they are just happy for the kids who get in the local ones. I have never heard anything snarky like this from older Class of 2019 kid’s friends or from my current senior’s friends. They are snarky about plenty else, but college admissions is just not one of those things.

5 Likes

Yes, from some girls though it was indirect and sometimes direct assault on irrelevant things. My D is emotionally connected to some of these girls, it hurted her initially. Now she ignores it pretty much.

4 Likes

Not really. I sometimes wonder the same things about certain kids but would never say those things out loud :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

My son NEVER brings up college admissions with even his closest friends. He shares info when people ask him a direct question but generally he is not the first one to bring up the topic.

His group of friends is this weird mix of smarts and chill. They are all admitted to top schools like Waterloo, Purdue, UIUC, Michigan, and CalPoly but colleges rarely seem to come up when they hang out. Mostly its basketball, video games, and hip hop.

12 Likes

Sounds like my D22. Sometimes I ask her where kids in her school are planning to or want to go college and she has no idea.

10 Likes

Yes, some students AND parents.

Someone was bullish*t that my son used the “Latino card” to get into NEU, while his white child was deferred, since that’s the ONLY reason why my S22 was admitted.

3 Likes

Sounds like my kid and his group.
Many times I have felt that these kids are handling the whole stressful process way better than their parents.

4 Likes

Yes. My daughter shares with only a small group of friends — I think managing acceptance news is also important.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen that repeated over and over in kids’ YouTube freshman year vlogs. My son is also not into “stuff” so that’ll be easy. I’m sure eventually my daughter will want stuff like fluffy rugs and decorations and stuff. Not my son. Besides, there’s always Amazon if he decides there’s something he needs after he moved in. We’re also planning to have him do Quarter Plus (short summer school/orientation SLO does) so he’ll probably be moving himself from his temporary dorm to his permanent one during move-in week. I’m sure the less he has, the better.

1 Like

this reminds me again that I live in a very different world from most CCers. Selective college admissions are not a thing around here. D22’s friends or parents would not know what ED, EA etc. is, they never heard of half the schools D22 applied to (in all fairness, last year at this time I had never heard of a bunch of those either). And we don’t talk about it, because it would come across as weird.

Her friends, all girls with high GPAs, will attend either the state flagship or state directionals, none applied to any private school and none OOS. Some girls would have liked to go OOS but the parents did not allow it (this is common around here).

I’m not a big fan of the area where I live but in regards to college admissions I’m glad, it allowed my daughter a very relaxed high school time with no rat race about college admissions (and no snark about acceptances now).

22 Likes

Yeah, I’m up again next year for our D21 transfer admit results. She’s at our local CC in the honors program. Then our D25 - and I’m done. :slightly_smiling_face:

PS - our D17 I mentioned earlier is an S17. I’m sure he’d want me to clear that up. lol

2 Likes

Wow, that is nuts.

My kid, like many others here, doesn’t bring up acceptances. Most friends don’t either. They all know it’s a tough time. She sees a few friends post on Instagram or subtly update profiles to include “XXXX Class of 2026,” but kids don’t talk about it. I think there is some jealousy. Sure, my kid is jealous of the kids who got into Yale early when she didn’t, but she is genuinely happy for their success and would never think it wasn’t deserved. And, I can’t see kids in her program expressing that. They are all high achievers with their own talents. They know the colleges admit who will make the best class for them.

@huango , I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I did see some of these sentiments on anonymous message boards, so we know they are out there. I had words w/ a dad on the Yale early board here about exactly this. He was sure his son was “more qualified” than another student because of test scores and race. Other parents and I reiterated that there are many factors other than test scores to merit a student, but I have seen this sentiment on local listservs as well (always anonymous – they must know somehow that this is not OK). Some people want admissions to be a formula, and they channel all possible resources to make their kid (what they think is) the ideal candidate, but their arrogance and narrow approach does those kids a disservice.

Your kid must be very intelligent, accomplished and talented to be offered a spot at NEU. Congratulations!!!

8 Likes

Almost identical here. One funny bit of it being that when DD applied to an Ivy ED1, everyone in school assumed she would get in. Even teachers and admins were ready to congratulate her the next day. That she didn’t get in seemed unthinkable, because of course the top student would get to choose their school. :grinning:

9 Likes

@trops and @professionaldad — I can relate.

We are in Washington and when DD told others in an AP class she applied to Stanford as a super long-shot, they all said, “Well, YOU will get in there for sure!” :rofl:

Then when she mentioned she also applied to University of Washington (notoriously difficult to get into for in-state students), they looked at her doubtfully and said, “You mean University of Washington -Tacoma?” :rofl::rofl::rofl: As if UW Seattle is less likely than Stanford.

It just goes to show that expectations can really differ in schools where virtually nobody applies to Top 20 schools and the only experience most people have with selective admissions is the state flagship.

12 Likes