Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Is this covered under PERPA?

@Jenna6: At my D22’s school, the GC writes an “optional report” (highlighting recent achievements, etc.) to accompany the “mid year report” (which for UK schools is quite sparse as A level results don’t come out until the summer after graduation).

The only way to know is to ask :-). I don’t believe it is covered. Anyway, if the GC chooses to show it to you, then FERPA is not involved. FERPA is involved only if you ask the college to show you after you join.

What is the High School Mid-Year Report?)%2C%20and%20an%20updated%20transcript

This is the mid year report with ‘FERPA Waived’ on the top. What does it mean?

Hmm
 I don’t know. We were given grades, and I asked the GC whether we should send it or she will. She said she already sent it. In our case just a column of grades. Nothing subjective or written down.

1 Like

After the chaos of last week (denials at UCLA Mudd, admits at UCSC UCD, and WLs at UCSD UCI), I was bracing for a really tough week especially with Berkeley looming.

To our pleasant surprise and shock, S22 was admitted to Berkeley (COE) and UCSB (CompE). UCSB was his #1 going into the week but the Berkeley admit with the SEED scholar invite has thrown a new variable into the mix.

I am not sure where he will end up (UCSB is still a slight favorite), but we’ve got a month to decide between his final 4.

To those who’ve had a tough week, please know that a week is long time in the admissions process especially this late in the game and there will be more surprises just when you think you’ve got things figured out.

Good luck to all of us as we get closer to May 1st commit date.

34 Likes

Congratulations again! What a journey! I attended both UCSB and Berkeley. If you want my two cents, PM me. :blush:

Thank you. Just PMed you.

One more update: D22 waitlisted to Middlebury and rejected to Wesleyan. Two left next week: NYU and Cornell

5 Likes

Congrats to everyone getting into their dream schools! Seems like a crazy year. We are now in a situation where the only viable options are safety’s. Top 2% of class, all Ap or college level courses minimal honors and extra circulars that include national completions so we are shocked that target schools were either wl or flat reject which I cannot even process, hrs later. Two ivys next week but based on our current situation, assuming no.
So my question is, what now? I get the love the schools who love you, but anyone else considering other options ? Try looking for schools still taking applications ? Assume none or if so only not schools that would be interested in? Not interested in gap year.
Really don’t want to even go here, but reach out to the target that rejected? Just does not make sense at all. Was there an issue with the application ? Or just not competitive enough?
Anyone have any thoughts for the devastated?

1 Like

I am sorry to hear this. Please do not despair
Go to your safety or try one or two years of community college
My nephew did that in Columbus
Transfer to Ohio State after two years and he is now CEO of a big branch of a transnational company in UAE

6 Likes

Congrats! Both UCSB and Cal Engr schools are great although Cal tends to be the recruiting hub for many major companies. It’ll be down to location and job placements for his field of Engr.

Sorry to hear but NACAC will come out with a listing of Colleges that still have openings in a May and sometimes there are some very good colleges on the list.

Rule # 1 for Safeties is that the student is willing to attend no matter what. If this is not true, then they were not safeties in the first place.

What are the options? Remember one students safety is another’s dream school so do not dismiss them so easily.

15 Likes

We’re wondering the same, where did we go wrong? Thought she is a ivy bound student now very disappointed with target School and no merit. Now we have no hope for the final result next week.

1 Like

But the ivys have yet to come. So there is still hope.

3 Likes

Didn’t she get honors at Tulane? What are her other options?

Agree completely- should we have hired a consultant to help? Etc-

What about Tulane honors with the 20k a year? Or is she not considering it anymore?

1 Like

@Hopeful04 and @Butterfly2022 if you have other kids coming up, I’d recommend a college consultant if that’s an option for you. We had a friend of the family who’s a consultant and she was SO helpful ! She was invaluable with helping up choose a balanced list among many other things.

But for your current kids, you can’t go back in time so moving forward:
Take a good look at the schools you’ve gotten into. I bet you’ll find cool programs, fun clubs, interesting courses, etc. If you applied, there was a reason! Find the special things to get excited about!

For those waitlisted schools, make sure your kid reaches out to their regional AOs, make sure they know how much they want to attend and how willing they are to offer more information, etc. One of my daughter’s best friends got off Sarah Lawerence WL with pure tenacity. Some schools don’t take a lot of kids offf the WL, but some school take tons. Check out the school’s Common Data Set to see what they did last year.

For the schools that didn’t give you enough merit, ask for more money! For D19 it came down to 2 schools but the top contender offered less money. So we asked for more and they gave it to us. All they can do is say no, so explain your situation and see what they can do.

I’m so sorry that you find yourself in this situation. This process can be so frustrating and feel ridiculous. But it sounds like both of your kids are really exceptional, and I’m just so sure that they will thrive wherever they land!

14 Likes

I know some people will disagree, but this year was the highest ever in terms of number of applications, according to the schools themselves. I have read several school blogs that say this was their most competitive admissions year in their history. I think it is due to a number of factors, but regardless, it resulted in a lot of kids not getting in where most guidance counselors and parents reasonable thought they would.

Obviously nothing to do about other than watch how the process changes in the next few years and adjust accordingly, if you have other kids who will be going through it.

I personally learned a ton for the next go-round. My son will benefit for sure. His list will hopefully have a lot more schools that are maybe not as well-known or coveted, but are perfectly suited to his interests. And we will make more college visits so that he can get a better feel for what he really wants in a school.

I still think these kids will make a home for themselves wherever they land!

14 Likes