Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Best of luck to your son. I’m sure he will excel wherever he goes.

1 Like

I’ll need a keg at the ready on Thursday!

6 Likes

They’re used for placements. Some ACT/SAT english section can excuse kids out of certain English GE. It’s truly test blind and isn’t used for admissions.

That’s not a miracle, though. A student who can get into UCB also has a great chance of getting into Stanford.

1 Like

To offer some insight for Class of 2023 and beyond: my daughter applied Test Optional to all of her schools. She had a 3.51 wGPA and around a 3.48 uw. She got a 24 on her ACT and she had no intention of retaking.

She had numerous leadership roles in and out of school and took about 8 APs, she also had a very strong upward trend which I think helped her application a lot (2.7 gpa first tri of freshman year, 3.5 gpa by first tri of senior year, class rank went from 330 to 115 over the years)

She applied to 17 schools, ranging from state schools with automatic admissions to UCs. She got accepted by 9, waitlisted by 2, and rejected by 5 (still waiting on Syracuse). She has tons of good options like Tulane, UMN, Fordham, UC Davis, University of Miami, Rutgers NB, and Temple.

33 Likes

for CELEBRATION!!!
woohoooo!

:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Congratulations for great results! Just to add my daughter has 2 B in 9th grade!

UC Davis is test blind not test optional just for clarification and Freshman grades are not considered in the UC GPA so a 3.5 Weighted GPA is misleading since a 3.9 UC weighted GPA. was posted in the UCD discussion.

5 Likes

My Daughter too!

2 Likes

Yes, and an out of state applicant is very attractive for their out of state tuition $$$.

1 Like

I am curious to learn more about the research essays. Can I DM you? Thanks!

Sure Please.

Vandy all day!

1 Like

Short recommendations are the best, here’s a very famous one…

18 Likes

Yes. I was looking for this as well. Didn’t find it quickly :slight_smile:

Really look in to the student experience at UM. We have friends who would be considered by most as very well off. Their DS went to UM. He hated the social life. Very little school spirit. Lots of partying. But not normal college partying. More like South Beach clubbing. VIP rooms. Bottle service. Super wealthy Americans (mostly NYC) and international students (think 100’ yacht and homes in Monaco types). He transferred back to VaTech and is very happy.

2 Likes

The cool thing about Vandy is they have a great music school, so many of his friends may also be very musical. Plus, Belmont is right next door with so many fabulous musical students. Then obviously Nashville. It’s a dream area for musicians!

2 Likes

that is exactly the vibe D22 got from the admitted student chats, which made UMiami drop off her list. She would be a student on FA and thought she would constantly worry about money and not being able to participate

9 Likes

This is why UM dropped off my daughters list.
I used to tell her stories about feeling so poor when we’d go to parties, back in the 80’s, at USC. Kids were driving Ferraris! We had fun but it’s tough if you can’t keep up.

6 Likes

Really? My daughter just joined the ZeeMee for UM yesterday and it seemed like many other students were low income-middle class as well.

I just can’t believe the tidbit about UM having no school spirit, all the kids we’ve seen seem so excited for gamedays and we assumed that would increase next year because Miami made it to the Elite Eight for the first time in school history in March Madness.

2 Likes