Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Is it that easy to just “transfer”?

5 Likes

I think laying out the total cost difference over 4 years could be compelling, along with having a frank conversation about how saving 150k could potentially benefit him. If he chooses Alabama, would it free you up to be more generous with spending $, travel, possibly a car, graduate school, housing post-graduation, etc.? I’ve had friends strike these bargains with their kids and it has worked well.

6 Likes

@Mombbg23 - we were only there for 1.5 days in January and classes weren’t in session. It wasn’t the best timing for sure. But, it is what we could do. This school year has been hard here and trying to not miss more school was important to him. I tried to get him to go a second time, but he said he didn’t need to see it again. But, yes! Everyone was so friendly!

@momofboiler1 - from Purdue? Yes, that’s a really good point we have not discussed. It is really hard. He’s a smart kid, but hasn’t had to go without much, work for his own things much, etc. It’s tough for him to understand the financial implications for years.

@hippobirdy - He could transfer, but not likely to Rose. He has quite a bit of scholarships there that would make it difficult to afford later. But, he could potentially transfer elsewhere if he really disliked it. I don’t know how hard it is to transfer but will look into it.

@CTCape - yes, for sure! I’ve told him he doesn’t get 100% of what we would have spent, but that we’d be able to buy him a car, put money into his IRA each year so he could keep his earnings, and we’d still have money leftover if he needed help with some of those other things, including housing if he finds an internship that requires an apartment. I did think to add that we won’t make him live on campus all 4 years if he wants to move off for the last 1-2. We can easily pay for housing if he tires of dormlife.

All very good points. I wish he had the benefit of understanding why adults are so excited by a near free ride! (I think it’ll be about $1500/year to us)

5 Likes

We tried with our NMF S22 to get him to consider Bama because of the full ride, but there was something about actually going there he just couldn’t get over. We explained that there were lots of out-of-state kids, the campus was great, etc., but at the end of the day we couldn’t even get him to visit.

He ended up more than fine (University of Nebraska with a full-tuition scholarship plus housing credit) but for kids in other parts of the country, there’s always going to be that fear of culture shock. (along with maybe some negative perceptions of the school that may not be fair)

3 Likes

Yep. Purdue engineering majors - Civil eng, and Mech E. The commonality is that they both had basically no work experience because of cancelled internships due to covid. They also were being super picky about location and job type, but now they are more open to finding anything even slightly related to their major. Hopefully they will all land somewhere soon but they are panicking as neither family is in a position to help them with loan repayments.

4 Likes

I’m sure they will find something. Just might not be in the town they envisioned.

2 Likes

Just curious, have they been looking at the West Coast?

@Luanne there is a long on-going thread discussing pros and cons of paying for a “dream school.” I think it’s a really personal choice and the right answer isn’t always the cheapest school. Personally, if the money is there I would rather have my kid go to their best fit school even if it is a lot more expensive. That’s us. I admire your son and his resilience and hope the best for your family!

5 Likes

Not sure where they are looking now but one was hoping to go to a specific company in FL and the other wanted to live close to home to save $ on rent. Both have widened their search to anywhere.

1 Like

It appears that I never gave an update about our financial aid situation :joy:

Daughter got 3rd party document needed for University of Miami and she received her financial aid package recently.

It was a tough decision but paying $6,000 at Miami vs $11,000 at Tulane made the decision a lot easier. She’ll be committing to UMiami and she could not be more excited :raised_hands:t2::green_heart::orange_heart:

34 Likes

Anyone hearing about graduation ceremonies next month and masking?

I don’t think ours will be masked. It’s outside and no making at school or anywhere else at this point.

Our district does all 4 HS graduations outdoors at the big football stadium. Sat afternoon, Sat evening, Sun afternoon, Sun evening. It’s possible that they will strongly suggest masking, but in our state masks are no longer required in schools (that got lifted about a month ago). My bet is that it will be “masks suggested”, and about 40% of parents/grandparents will be wearing them.

3 Likes

As of now, my niece’s graduation is outdoors, masks optional.

Ours is outside on the football field so I’m guessing there might be some grandparents and vulnerable people masked but mostly not. Masks are optional at schools, but almost all the kids wear them in the classroom. They just don’t seem bothered about wearing them. But outside they mostly don’t wear them.

1 Like

Ours will be outdoors. Mask optional.

Our graduation ceremony will be normal. About 1000 people in a medium-large convention center space. Don’t expect more than 10% of attendees will mask, unless we have another surge in cases before then.

Depends on target university, its retention rate , and perhaps the desired major, and whether one’s grades are strong.
One needs good grades to keep a ‘Bama scholarship
“ Students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA and complete 67% of their attempted credit hours in order to maintain their merit scholarships. To learn more please visit UA’s Scholarship Policy.”

Edited to add: so, transferring to Rose Hulman might not be that easy.
See Common Data Set section D ,

Also need calculus, physics& chem.

1 Like

Hi - I am curious about what freshman college class ( bell?) schedules are like. e.g. D22 high school starts at around 7:30 am and goes on till 2-3 pm. Do college freshman schedules start late or are they more like high school ( early start). I suppose that depends on the classes they take but nevertheless feeling curious about what a day will be like in the first semester of freshman. Thanks

College class schedules can vary depending upon the courses taken. Classes rarely meet everyday, so you are looking at Mon/Wed/Friday or Tues/Thursday classes. Labs can be 3 hour blocks while regular lecture classes are about an hour. You can have early classes around 8 am or classes until 8 pm or later with any time in between. Some days you could have class all day on campus but with large 2-4 hour gaps and some days you may have several classes back to back.

The best thing you can do is to look up the college campus catalog and look at the class schedule.

One son was on semester and only had M/W or T/TH classes. In the 4 years he was attending college, he never had a Friday class and never had an 8 am class (this was scheduled on purpose).

My other son was on a quarter system with M/W/F classes and T/Th classes. He preferred 8 am classes which were easier to schedule than classes later in the day. College students like to sleep in.

6 Likes