Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Thank you.

1 Like

First few weeks after college drop off are going to be hard. 12 years of school routine will be tough to transition out of but having a forum like this with the fellow parents immensely helps. thanks

8 Likes

We went to one university for a revisit. They informed us that many of the business school classes would be in the evenings because a large number of faculty have jobs during the day. They said to expect some classes to start at 7:00 pm and go until 9:00. I hear this is not uncommon.

Our student graduation is supposed to be indoors. Masks not sure. They are coming back and at this point maybe outdoor or no ceremony. Last year the college graduation was outdoor with mask, this year we will find out when we attend.

Yes, it’s a fine line we’ve walked encouraging our kids they can become whatever they want to be if they work hard, and also teaching them there will be disappointments along the way.

I think for my D it’s been classmate discussions and a general reaction she sees from everyone (family, teachers, neighbors etc) when someone says they got into “X” school. Not just Ivy League, but schools that are known to be highly rejective.

Visiting the schools that accepted her has been very helpful. She realized that she really loved WPI and not so much Wesleyan, despite the latter having much lower acceptance rates. She really is focusing on fit now and understanding name brand and prestige aren’t everything.

She also had the epiphany this week that she could make a difference in the world and help others, etc without becoming a doctor, lawyer, curing cancer, etc. It helped that we visited a museum exhibit highlighting women in video game design (so kudos to the curator who created that exhibit because his/her work had a positive impact on a young impressionable, mind!).

29 Likes

yes thank you!!

1 Like

Ours is going to be indoors - no masks required as of now (in MA) and no limit on the number of family members who can attend.

1 Like

Seems obvious that they also have another hook ( legacy, URM, athlete, low income/low performing schoo, first gen etc). Some have the stats and two hooks maybe those are the ones with multiple options?

4 Likes

Sounds like it was a worthwhile trip! And that she’s likely going to be on the other coast (now, I am speaking as a parent who would have mixed feelings about my child being far away)!

1 Like

Can we get this comment pinned to every thread in this site? Man, I love it. Sooooo many kids (and their parents) could use this insight.

15 Likes

Hi, could you give me more details on the women in video game design exhibit? My kid is interested in that path and I’d love to be able to steer her to this. Thanks!

3 Likes

probably not athlete or legacy if we are talking about multiple T10 offers. Probably very underrepresented state (South Dakota or Alaska anyone?) or URM or first gen. And then tippy top everything…

2 Likes

Well it’s a box of some kind. More likely URM/1st gen than ND, HI or AK. Athletes are likely going ED so less likely to have multiple offers same can often be said for legacy. Overcoming obstacles of some kind can also resonate across multiple schools. It’s the kid who can’t check a box ( the unhooked) who will have the most difficult time.

3 Likes

Is that at MIT?

In the years that our kids graduated (2019 and 2021), I looked at the threads to see if I could figure out who the kids were who got into multiple top schools and/or got the big awards at Vanderbilt or Duke, etc. Some them I even PMd to ask. The vast majority told me or posted that they were URM.

6 Likes

We saw the exhibit when we visited Rochester – it was at the Museum of Play (great museum!): https://www.museumofplay.org/exhibit/women-in-games/

My D is getting more and more interested in video game design too, if not as a major/minor at least a hobby. She’s in a school club now but they aren’t doing much so I think she’ll want to do more in college. Where is your D going?

4 Likes

Things may have recently changed but our S16 received multiple T10 acceptances. No hook had he.

2 Likes

Actually, she’s down to 4 schools – 2 in California, 2 on East coast! I’ve got mixed feelings too!

2 Likes

My D is a junior in college - stage management BFA. She has had an epiphany in the last year that what she really does is project management, and it’s instantly applicable to video game design. She may pursue it in grad school, dunno yet. The bar for women, however, is twice as high. :frowning:

1 Like

I think this is the key phrase. Things HAVE changed. A lot.

6 Likes