Parents of the HS Class of 2022

My D22’s school does not charge for AP exams. I got a little worried reading this thread that I had missed some charge I was supposed to pay but then remembered I didn’t pay last year either. Just looked it up. You don’t pay in our state, North Carolina, if you are in a public school. Presumably those in private school can work out their own payments. North Carolina also requires that ALL high school juniors in public school take the ACT at no charge.

D22 is taking the AP Lit exam today. :crossed_fingers:

Does anyone know when the scores are released?

4 Likes

My S22 is taking the tests for AP Human Geo, AP Stats and part of AP Physics. Apparently the teacher didn’t get to the material on the other AP Physics test, so S22 canceled it and got a refund. NYU doesn’t offer credit for Human Geo, but he may get credit for the other two if he does well. He’s come to really hate physics, so hopes aren’t high there.

His other course is an honors lit class. He was going to take AP French but had a schedule snafu and stuck with just four classes. Managed to get into both schools to which he applied anyway.

1 Like

I have a cousin that was a Civil Engineering major at UIUC and while he got a job, it took him a while and I think because that major is so specific it is not one that is easy to get jobs in and you do need to be flexible. He wound up in California.

As for ME, I think that in general is also one that is difficult to get a job in because it also is just difficult to get internships in. I know a lot of people with kids this year that can’t seem to get ME internships period. Not necessarily related to Covid, but just can’t get a break, or not in what they want to do, or unless they’re not the top of their class they’re just overlooked. It’s tough.

So many people think you go into Engineering and you’re automatically guaranteed a job. But you’re not. You sometimes have to settle for something less, just to get your foot in the door. Same with kids going into fields like CS who are not really good at it. My son is seeing a lot of that at Michigan. 40% of kids are getting grades below the minimum needed to move on in the courses/major. Or, they’re just not good at all and then think they’re going to get those top jobs. Most of them are the ones who when they do get through, will not be getting those top paying jobs sadly.

8 Likes

I tell my kids that something like a 3.9+ is a good target GPA in undergrad to at least not to have issues on that count.

I can’t speak for this year with UM’s essays, but my son just completed his freshman year and I’m pretty sure they weren’t looking for any kind of identity politics in their essays. He wrote that essay about playing tennis and being on the tennis team. He also did not write about bleeding maize and blue. He actually didn’t even want to apply to Michigan initially and figured the application was fairly easy and the supplemental essays were short with a good COE program, so why not? But he wasn’t keen initially on the Engineering school being on North Campus, but as he did more research, especially as he was deferred from his ED school, it ultimately became one of his final 2 choices and he chose it over another top school and it turned out to be a much better fit for him than the ED school would have been (I have another kid at that school).

He also was able to go see his actual application because UM lets you do that if you’re an attending student, so that was sort of interesting for him.

But in your case, your son has some amazing options (not sure what he ultimately chose) that we looked at with one of my other kids. Our favorite school of all of them was CMU, but we also liked Case. They always find their home, and if they don’t, it’s so easy to transfer nowadays. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, well I’m sure everyone would love a 3.9 but obviously, it’s not that easy, especially for kids that go into fields/majors that they really should not be going into in the first place, or are too hard for them. Most medians are not A’s in classes, therefore, more than half of the students are not getting an A or a 3.9 GPA.

1 Like

For exams this/next week, beginning of July, based on history.A specific date has not been announced

1 Like

Obviously all that is true. But there is something to be said for the student mentally committing to herself/himself upfront what the goals are for the four years.

1 Like

If you are on Twitter, you might follow Trevor Packer. He usually tweets info about AP results.

5 Likes

Today was the last official day of senior year! It’s hard to believe he is done (mostly). No finals and no IB exams this year, but he does have to go back for an AP test in a couple weeks. And he has a couple IAs to finish up for the IB classes. But, he can pop in and out as needed until it’s all complete. Graduation is in a couple weeks, so he should finish those items pretty quickly.

17 Likes

Thanks for your post. Research? Did he discover anything helpful after seeing the application file? Did he learn what happened? Anything that future applicants might learn from his experience?

oh we have IB exam and my daughter is preparing her 1st subject today! very stressful! :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

Good luck to her! It will be good when they are finished.

Our school is non-exam route again this year, so just IAs etc. Thankful they have this option, but it feels weird.

1 Like

thank you :blush:

Mine is taking all his AP exams for the credits - even though there is no course equivalency that will count towards his major - because students can get a better parking pass once they have 50 credits…priorities lol.

10 Likes

In a small plot twist, Rose Hulman admitted D22 off their waitlist (or, rather, emailed her that there was an “opportunity off the waitlist if she is interested”). They offered her a $20k merit scholarship + $9.5k in FA, making it very close to her price point. She spent some time thinking it through yesterday, much more than I expected. Socially it’s a perfect fit for her. Enough so that I think she could overlook the lack of depth in non-STEM classes. Ultimately, though the gender ratio is enough of a tipping point that she is going to stay with IU. If they’d made this offer 2 months ago I think she’d be very seriously considering it.

26 Likes

What do you mean did he learn what happened?

What he found out is they redact your LOR’s, the UM reviewers make some comments, talk about your essays and activities, they write your GPA because it is true that they do recalculate it as an unweighted GPA without +/- and only academic classes, in his case he was applying to COE and they only seemed to care about his Math ACT/SAT as that’s the only score that was noted on his file except he didn’t turn in an SAT score but it showed 800 Math SAT. He did get a 36 on the ACT Math, so he assumes they use SAT as a factor and that’s why they converted his to an SAT. He thought that was odd. He also noticed that his application was reviewed within 2 weeks of submitting it for EA which was in his case he submitted the night before the deadline. His friends also all went to look at theirs and they were all reviewed before the EA notification date. A lot of people who’s kids get postponed seem to think it’s because they don’t have time to get through all the applications but there’s no evidence whatsoever that’s ever been the case. The two readers also both rate the applicant. I can’t remember offhand what the scale is…1-12 perhaps or maybe 1-15. 1 is the best. My son had a very good rating. Higher than others he know who were accepted in EA however he was initially postponed. Nothing in his file mentions postponed, in fact the opposite. His letter he had to write after he was postponed (ECI or whatever they call it there) wasnt’ even in his file nor were his mid semester grades. He found that odd. After the initial review and the comments that he’d make a great addition to UM, the only addition was actually his final transcript which came after he had clearly committed. Another oddity.

We can only assume, but think he was always in the accepted pile but they just had to wait until the RD acceptances or enough students decline their acceptances. In that RD round in late March of his year ('21) he wound up being the only kid from our school accepted to UM. However, there were 20+ accepted in EA. He was the salutatorian so it was sort of a bummer for him to see all these other students accepted during EA but all but 2 were in something other than COE so that’s most likely the reason and the 2 accepted one was the weighted valedictorian and one was the uw valedictorian so that makes sense.

Best advice I can give from what I know about his app is to be well rounded, but not have a ton of little activities that you can’t thrive in. Also, if you can have something unique outside of school. This is probably one of his weaknesses that he looked very similar to other kids. My other kids all had something unique whereas I can’t say he really had that one special thing and because of who he is, he didn’t care so much about that. He does have his own small business so in his own way that’s unique.

The other thing is the essays. One doesn’t need to fawn all over “I bleed blue” etc. He certainly didn’t. He 100% didn’t. But you can write a damn good essay that isn’t one that you just find and replace the name of a school to send the same one to each school.

What has definitely changed in the 9 years since we started the process with my first kid and now I will say is that I do think you want to try to get yourself out there with making a connection to the regional person for UM (or other school) in your area. Ask questions about a program you’re interested in. Reach out to a professor about a course or their research. Write about that research. But, it’s a fine line…you have to learn to be a suck up without being annoying or obnoxious about being a suck up. They’re onto that game too. My son never would’ve played that game had we even known or thought that was going on these days and my other kids are way too shy to have reached out. So each kid is different. It can work, but it can also backfire if a kid becomes too annoying to the college reps if you know what I mean.

Oh and by research what I meant is he really looked into their CS program and professors and how big it is, the professor’s backgrounds, and the size of the entire University as a whole. Much smaller than he first thought which turned out to be a big plus for him. There were obviously some other things as well.

I have 3 kids at 3 powerhouse academic schools and I’m not gonna lie…there are pluses and minuses at all 3 of the schools. No school is perfect. But they are each perfect for my individual kid. They found their fit. Each school has things I love and things I really can’t stand. My kids are all happy, and I’m pretty sure will all be gainfully employed and off my payroll soon enough. :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Thanks for sharing. This is fascinating. S22 didn’t apply to UM but he applied to quite a few state flagships. I’m sure every school does things differently, but it’s interesting to learn what the process if like at one large powerhouse school. I don’t have another kid, but I’ve been looking at this past year with some hindsight now, though I still remain mostly mystified!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @srparent15 - very good insights and suggestions!

D22 is picking up her cap and gown today and learned this morning that she got a summer job in Europe in July (working with kids in an English learning summer camp). She is quite a happy camper today :smiley:

38 Likes