Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Well, IB results are out. S22 now, officially, has an IB diploma. 5s in Maths AA HL, English Lit HL, and Design Tech SL; 6s in Physics HL and Spanish AB SL; 7 (avg.) in Business SL (6 in HL and 8 in EE); and 8 in TOK.

Starts Bama with 34 hours of credit.

23 Likes

Hi parents! We used Samsonite tote a ton bag. Right now theyā€™re on sale on Samsonite website for $31 and if you use Rakuten or have the Cap Venture X card, I believe you get an additional 5% cash back. I didnā€™t check if itā€™s also on eBags (same company), but if it is, thereā€™s 12% cash back from the Cap One X card.

4 Likes

We favor the Ikea Frakta bags from Amazon with zippers. Sophomore son fit everything in them except skis and electric guitar.

3 Likes

Great! Congrats to her!

My son also has the diploma now. He ended with 6s in Chinese SL, Music SL, History HL, English HL and 5s in Math AA HL and Physics HL. I donā€™t know his EE or TOK, but he got 2 bonus points for them.

Scores havenā€™t shown at Bama yet, so we will see, but he should be in the mid 30s as well, with some from AP.

Heā€™s disappointed with his Math score. His teacher thought a 6 and we went with that for registration. He emailed his teacher to see if anything can be appealed.

It makes scheduling classes a lot different starting with Calc 1 instead of 2. Second semester is hard to find classes he can take that count. He has all the gen ed and English classes by credit already.

4 Likes

With a great sigh of relief, DD22 ended her high school career with 5s in Calc BC, Stats, CS. 3 in History and English :frowning:

11 Likes

Dumb questions (we donā€™t live anywhere near an IKEA anymore): better to buy frakta bags from Amazon or IKEA? Are we likely to get ā€œfakesā€ on Amazon and does it matter? How much should a frakta cost? Thanks!

1 Like

You can order them online directly from Ikea as well. We did that last year. They also have semi-clear square ones (really for spare tires based on the picture) that worked well.

2 Likes

I ordered these last year. (We donā€™t have an IKEA nearby either.)

We also bought more when it was time for S21 to pack up his dorm in May.

(He used boxes supplied by a storage and moving company but some things he brought home so it was convenient to use these Framta bags since he only had a carryon suitcase in his dorm all year.)

Ikea 901.491.48 Frakta Storage Bag, Blue, 4 Pack https://a.co/d/547OM5g

1 Like

We used TICONN Extra large moving bags (amazon, dimensions 27ā€™ā€™ x 14ā€™ā€™ x 15ā€™ā€™) for S20. I already purchased them fro S22.

S22 finished with four 5s on his AP exams and is left with only 1 general core requirement. Even his college science and foreign language requirements are all fulfilled.

Last week, S22 registered for his classes. He is waiting for a dorm assignment which should come up in a week or two. He was able to find roommate back in May. Hopefully, they are right for each other.

2 Likes

I bought these IKEA Frakta bags on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OS47EDK/ They are $29 for 3 so $10 a piece. I like them. Iā€™m not sure they will be necessary for D22, but they do fold up nice and small. I also got a couple of the rainbow IKEA regular bags while I was at it (no zipper) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SVDYZXQ .

We may get some plastic drawers from Target to go under the bed. Her dorm doesnā€™t have a lot of storage space, just a wardrobe with two drawers and a desk and bed. Iā€™ll probably have her take some plastic bins for winter weather gear, etc, so the Frakta bags mightā€™ve been unnecessary for us since sheā€™s likely to have plastic bins under her bed anyway, but weā€™ll see how it plays out.

The Frakta bags are $4.99 if you buy them from IKEA. But they run out in the middle of summer in a lot of locations. Some people buy them and sell them in lots on Amazon for twice the cost.

3 Likes

$2000 doesnā€™t come close to the threshold for having to file taxes. So no need to file. The threshold is $12,550.

3 Likes

Thank you, this is very helpful to know.

D22 is working on her drivers license exams and license yet. In the meanwhile, for ID purposes, does college issued ID suffice or does she have to carry passport ( digital copy etc) . Thanks

My understanding is that for flights you will need the ā€˜Realā€™ drivers license or a Passport
If they is not flying it might be ok for other things

1 Like

She should have a government ID with her ā€” college ID wonā€™t be an accepted form of official ID anywhere other than the college. My D is also ā€œworking on her driverā€™s licenseā€ (read: is not practicing at all and will not be able to get her license at this rate any time soon!), so sheā€™ll either need an official state ID or her passport with her once she moves to college in August. We flew domestically recently, and since sheā€™s over 18 she had to use her passport.

2 Likes

We are on the same boat :blush:

5 Likes

@Villalona @FreshCoastal Weā€™re in that boat, too. Whatā€™s with these kids not wanting to learn to drive? Iā€™m so tired of driving my daughter to her summer jobs.

3 Likes

Been there on the teen driving reluctance, but thereā€™s hope. We were excited for D22 to start learning as a 15-yr-old, since my wife and I were both eager drivers who got licenses at age 16. She had zero interest; we convinced her to start the (long and convoluted) teen permit process in TX, but she bailed out along the way, much to my wifeā€™s dismay. Most of her friends were the same way - now that everyone lives their social lives online, many donā€™t see the point in bothering to drive vehicles around. But as she approached her 18th birthday, it was like a switch flipped, and suddenly she decided that it was time. Next thing we knew, she had completed the online driver course and written exam, scheduled her own appointment for the road test, and arranged for a ride to pick up her license at the DMV. I canā€™t entirely explain it, except that it may have been the prospect of getting a job that spurred her to action.

9 Likes

Anyone know of a set of luggage ( prefer good quality like Travelpro or similar) that can be stored one inside the other? Ideally, would like to get our kid a set of three bags (small, medium and large). Not really large size. More like carry-on, larger almost carry on and large but still can be checked in.

1 Like