Parents of the HS Class of 2022

In terms of proximity to groceries and eating places it’s is better than the original, but it’s farther from campus. As a practical person, I am concerned about regulating temperature, noise and smells in the loft, I don’t think there’s even a door. My kid is pretty sensitive to heat, but she is romanticizing her choice as a cozy “nook” so I have to run with it.

1 Like

Oh the no door would be tough!

1 Like

This morning I remembered that I graduated in an off-term and needed some place for summer and fall terms. I ended up in a multi-room house with a couple friends and others. My good friend had the room that was built into part of the attic. I ended up on an air mattress in the unfinished attic space outside of her room. I had a bookcase and some boxes for my stuff. And of course, she had to walk through my “room” to get to hers. It was close to campus and otherwise worked fine for those 6 months. I guess you can make many things work in college and it’s an experience!

3 Likes

My D22 is living in a large house with three bedrooms in the attic - she enthusiastically picked an attic bedroom. I also think she’s romanticizing the space. I’m pretty sure she’s going to freeze in the winter and broil in the summer, but she is a kid that has to make her own decisions.

3 Likes

I was wrong. Apparently there’s a door so not as dire a situation as I had feared. Still worried about temperature control up there though.

3 Likes

Point is: it’s not too late.

Good news update:
My son was offered an internship (20hrs/wk) at an insurance company,
AND he’ll be volunteering (8hrs/wk) at a food pantry (on a data mining project and as an interpreter for the Spanish community - to practice his Spanish).

After many many months of searching, applying, rejections, he finally received a Yes last week.

This YES was after an interview where he was informed that the company had already hired 4 JUNIOR interns, so “they’ll keep him in mind if something comes up”. (Then why ask to interview my FRESHMAN son?).

I made son write a Thank You email (even though he was annoyed at the company), and
lo and behold, they replied to the Thank you Letter asking him to come in for an in-person interview, because they have an additional need for another intern.

Yay!!!
Thought he was too late to the internship world, but he got this one!

17 Likes

Great news! I’m glad it worked out so well for him.

2 Likes

I’m seeing a bunch of class of 22 kids transfer for sophomore year - from U Wis-Madison, UDel, Fordham and the Culinary Institute of America.

3 Likes

Does it seem like more than in a typical year? If so, I wonder what that represents – lingering effects from the disruption of the pandemic? more kids overthinking college admissions due to the increased competition of the current admissions landscape?

1 Like

I don’t know what is typical. Talking to some of the parents, I think the colleges were not what the student thought it would be or, in one case, the student decided on a major the college didn’t have. One of my kids did a lot of soul searching during the admissions process and IMO applied to too many colleges because they had trouble identifying what they really wanted but they figured it out before committing so that was good. Hope the next 3 years are happy for the kids who are starting over.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed a lot of transfers too. It seems like most of them are because they can’t change to a high demand major like engineering or business at their current school so they transfer to our state flagship.

2 Likes

Hi - What are the chances of student getting off waitlists and getting seat in California ( for UC Irvine/San Diego etc)? Are waitlists in UCs like soft reject? D22 goes to Berkeley but a friend who graduated this year got waitlisted at couple of UCs. Based on what we had seen last year, UC waitlist had low probabilities. Any thoughts?

UC waitlists should be considered a soft reject and since it is June, the student should consider moving on. However, the UC Waitlists have shown more movement then the last 2 years so there is still hope. It really depends upon how long a student wants to keep waiting/ hoping for an admit. The majority of waitlisted admits have been posted so most schools are just slowly filling in the gaps. UCSD just admitted a few students yesterday. UCI last posted some admits May 18.

Until the UC’s officially close their waitlists and send denials, there is always a chance. Some UC’s have indicated they may keep their waitlists open until August.

2 Likes

Thanks , this is very helpful context.

Hi all :wave:. Hope you are well and your D/S22 enjoyed their first year in college.

My D22 returned home yesterday so I thought I’d check in on CC. I can’t believe how fast her first year went. She was sad to leave and, although the year was quite stressful, she said she likes being in college (much more than HS, she emphasized) - she has enjoyed meeting people from different countries and backgrounds, taking part in different university traditions (from going boating at dawn on May 1st to the “trashing” celebrations after first-year exams) and developing in her new sport (sadly for LostWife, my D22 has given up her music).

To me, she’s matured a bit since last fall. She’s definitely more independent and appears more confident in making her own decisions. I’ve tried to give her space and even though I was sometimes worried about where she went or how late she was out (we can all track each other’s whereabouts through the Microsoft app), I largely refrained from making any comments.

So, with the exception of a few minor hiccups (e.g., falling ill before a set of exams), she has transitioned to college relatively smoothly and had a good first year.

14 Likes

Very nice to hear, thanks for sharing the update. The first year indeed went so fast. I do get these occasional pangs that kids have grown up too fast but it is wonderful to see them grow more confident and work their way through things. There are times when I drive past the neighborhood schools, it feels like another world, though we were there just one year back.

7 Likes

Appreciate help with LinkedIn protocol/practice:

Son posted/announced on LinkedIn about his internship
“I am very excited to share that I am joining CompanyX as a Technical Assistant Intern. I am so grateful for this opportunity and learning experience.”

HR at internship gave him (and another professional - not college intern) a shoutout on LinkedIn, with several VP and Sr VPs commenting/welcoming son.

HOW should son respond, if at all?
Is LIKING the post good enough?

The other new hire just LIKED the post.

Thanks.

2 Likes

@huango

great question and made it a family dinner conversation with our college kids. after back and forth - we say just a thumbs up, as linked in is not a place for “conversation”.

good oppty for him to post again when done, if he has relevant/new content and have face to face meetings/networking with all the “likes”.

4 Likes

Liking the comments is fine, but many people also respond to the welcoming comments with a quick “thank you”. Being at the other end of this, the ones who respond tend to stick in my mind more. Maybe it’s because LinkedIn sends a separate notification letting you know so-and-so replied to you.

8 Likes

this could be a super helpful own thread - so much can be done on linked in and i know i don’t use it to its fullest. both my kids colleges run workshops, have head shot days and encourage linked in accounts no
later than end of college soph year.

8 Likes