Parents of the HS Class of 2022

@RichInPitt and @vistajay really great news for both of you! It is so nice to have that National Merit option in the pocket.

As expected, D22 is no where close to NM. She had that misbubbling issue, but also did not get serious about prep. Sort of frustrating for her mom, lol, but she is fine with it. :wink: Moving on, and that list of NM colleges that we became very familiar with during her sisterā€™s college search is getting tossed to the side. HOWEVER, I do want her to raise that SAT score a hundred points for auto merit, and I think she can. So the nagging is not over yet. :wink:

4 Likes

100 more points is totally within reach. Keep on nagging!

1 Like

Jealous of all you getting PSAT and SAT scores and administrations. Seems like a lot of good news. Weā€™ll shoulder on here in San Francisco.

Such a bummer to not have them :(. Hopefully you get them in though.

1 Like

Congrats @vistajay, @Lovetogolf, @christinelin, and @RichInPitt on great scores! Congrats to others if I missed you!

No NM for D22. Thatā€™s OK. She lost track of time on the Math section and came up a few answers short. Weā€™re proud of her performance (though she isnā€™t). In our state, NMā€™s usually only come from just a few schools - ones who offer ā€œTest Prepā€ as a semester-long course each school day right before scheduled testing.

Her ACT composite is high enough to shoot for her dream school, although itā€™s super selective so her odds are just like a lottery.

Her brother will be a Junior at her top choice when she applies. Does this get a legacy bump?

4 Likes

I have heard some schools say that siblings donā€™t make for a true legacy, but I donā€™t think it can hurt. I suspect that if the applicant is otherwise in the range, an AO would be tempted to lean yes for family unity reasons.

We have a long-ago (like 200+ year) relative who attended a school that DS is interested in. Does that count? :rofl:

1 Like

So sorry, sfSTEM. Hopefully things will open up come spring!

1 Like

S22 bombed the math section (for his standards), so I think heā€™ll get commended scholar only. He was pretty bummed.

Guess I should share here, too. S22 is squarely on the bubble. We are in Tennessee. He scored a 215, which is good enough for the Class of '21. Who knows for the Class of '22. Likely he will make Commended. I am proud of his effort. His ACT was cancelled three times over the summer, but he managed to take it two weeks before the PSAT and scored a 34. So, weā€™re done. Now, it is just grades. He is in a straight IB curriculum and HL Math and Physics is kicking his butt, but he seems to be rising to the occasion (I keep telling him that it is the grade at the end of the year that matters most). So far only one B.

Interestingly, D24 did well on the 8-9 PSAT, scoring a 1330. Soā€¦I have that to look forward to, as well.

3 Likes

S22 got a 1450 (700 EBRW, 750 M) with an SSI of 215. Given that our state had a 222 cutoff for the Class of 2021, we are looking at commended status, which he is OK with.

He has been compiling a school list, which is a combination of LACs, medium-sized private universities and a couple of public universities. He hopes to fine tune it over the next few months.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think siblings are considered a legacy. But my older D has had such a great experience, and itā€™s in USNā€™s top 20 undergrad CS programs, that I think getting it on younger Dā€™s ā€œapply toā€ list will be easy.

Nowhere else, other than the ā€œbig threeā€ has the name recognition sheā€™s hooked on right now. Her original long list on Naviance was pretty much the USNews overall top 20. No matter that they werenā€™t really known for CS programs - they were big names.

1 Like

@RichInPitt, my S22 has ā€œprestigeitisā€ as well at the moment. My experience with my older kids is that is a typical place to be at this point of junior year. His present list of top 4 schools looks much different than my list of places I think are good fits that we can likely afford. But there is about a year to go before applications, and my goal is that by then his list will include a good mix of schools that are financial safeties and some reaches where heā€™d need a merit scholarship; and that he will be able to see himself attending any of the schools on the list.

1 Like

Reposting from the '21 page; thinking it will be intereting to many

Jeff Selingo is doing a webinar tonight @8p EST. Here is a link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/1616059975784/WN_SycN8V2CTeKhEwf1PwnYog

1 Like

Congrats on the good scores, all. S22 got a 1230 on the October PSAT, up from 1140 the year before. Both with no test prep at all (as his school prefers for establishing a baseline), so I think it bodes well for the eventual SAT. 92nd percentile. His last report card averaged out to a 3.55 unweighted (his school doesnā€™t weight), with areas heā€™s intent on improving, so all going well.

No real college list still, but heā€™s expressed some interest in NYU. I think he likes that my late father went there, that weā€™ll be close by (weā€™re moving to New York after he graduates from high school) and that D19 will be wrapping up her senior year next door at Parsons. Will be interested to see if it stays on the list as he looks more closely.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s a nice increase without studying. My older kiddo actually lost points between sophomore and junior year. :rofl: Fortunately she found them eventually.

3 Likes

My S got a 1320 up from 1190 last year. He did no prep at all, despite the fact I kept moving the SAT study book onto his bed every few weeks and he would just throw it on the floor. His math and English scores were almost equal which really surprised both of us as he felt like he knew all the math and he is definitely not an English kid. Hasnā€™t read a pleasure book in years and dropped out of honors English last year. His math went up 100 points from last year and his English went up 20. Trying to get him to do an ACT practice test but he has no interest.

Question- are your kids doing many ECā€™s right now and if so, what are they doing? My kid has never been much into ECā€™s, he plays two sports and had a summer job but not much else. He was planing to pick it up a bit this fall but with Covid there isnā€™t much going on.

2 Likes

Funny thing is that her older sister was the opposite. We visited a few schools that would have been slight reaches and she didnā€™t even apply to any of them. I think it comes from being at that odd place in high school - in all of the honors/AP classes, but at the lower performance end of them, hovering around top 10% of her class. She didnā€™t want to ā€œwork so hardā€ just to keep up with the ā€œsmart kidsā€.

Younger sis is a different character.

1 Like

Extracurriculars: my DS is still doing Scouts (final steps of his Eagle Scout project) and a few clubs online (especially debate, where he has done some online competitions). Sports are cancelled until at least mid January.

The only extracurricular my S22 is doing is practicing cello. (I suppose it is more co-curricular, though.) He is continuing private lessons.

S22 is doing robotics. They met in person before the state closed the schools last month. He also was able to have a shortened marching band season. Thatā€™s it for now. Hopefully other things can restart next semester.