Parents of the HS Class of 2022

I wonder if they are just slowly trickling in 2021 data instead of all at once?

The first place to ask is whoever runs the Naviance inputs at your school regarding the updated data. Some schools are much better than others at updating the information and some suppress data sets that are too small. (Ours doesn’t seem to do that, as we have some schools that just get a few apps and they still show up.) Our class size is around 550 so they don’t have to worry about confidentality like they might at a smaller school. I would ask why there would be all green check marks for a school that didn’t seem to accept all the applicants. It may be that 18 people didn’t tell them what their results were so they couldn’t put them in…? Seems odd. That Auburn data seems odd, too - suddenly there were 5 rejections? Ask if they trickle data in over time…?

Then do you have the bar charts above the scatterplots? Here is where is gets frustrating for me. The bar charts show you acceptance success by year. Here is where we will see if '21 patterns were different than previous years.

The scatterplots show you the stats of the people who were successful but you can’t tell if it was last year or 10 years ago in our case so hard to interpret. The most compelling conclusions I make from Naviance data is when I deselect ED/EA or only select those - then I can see how ED/EA may or may not make a difference. The other compelling data to me is if you click on “Overlaps” you can see your school’s acceptance rate at that college. I like comparing that to the general acceptance rate and seeing if the school likes our students or not. For example, we found our school has a more than double acceptance rate at Cornell but a lower than average acceptance rate at Georgetown. Kind of interesting.

But your examples seem to more indicate an issue with the data.

Yes, there could be data issues. I just remember Auburn’s scatterplot from last year because I was struck that there weren’t any x’s. This year, I heard of someone who got into UGA but not Auburn for engineering.

Vandy has a 9% acceptance rate on the main page but when I click the top 10 overlaps page for the last ten years’ data, it shows a 14% acceptance rate. Duke is 12% and Cornell 13%. Rice shows 22% so they may like our school. However, given that page is for the last ten years, one has to decipher if the college has become increasingly selective (e.g., Tulane and NYU among others).

1 Like

If you have the bar charts you can calculate your school’s acceptance rates for just the past 3 or whatever years. That trend can be interesting! One school on my son’s list has a higher recent acceptance rate, which is nice.

@13street and @Luanne if you’re looking for a LAC with engineering, you might consider Lafayette. It was one of the final contenders for D19 - even though she wasn’t interested in engineering, she liked the idea of having those kinds of kids with that kind of thinking in her classes. That well-rounded, whole-person thing.

3 Likes

Our school is offering students the option of in-person or online for most tests but my D selected in-person for all of them. As of today, three down, two to go. The multi-phase offerings from CB helped - she has a full 10 days to prep for her last two (which are in her strongest subjects), rather than cramming the, all into the usual two week period.

Having finished her on-line dual enrollment class over a month ago, she’ll pretty much have gym, band, and H French left. And the band concert was last week, so maybe not much there.

2 Likes

As a Lafayette grad and a husband of a Lafayette Chemical Eng. grad I can attest to the good engineering program but lots of kids doing liberal arts. Small school only about 2500. No graduates students teaching classes. Student know the professors and professors know the students.

However these days without need the price tag is about 70K and they give very little merit money.

That doesn’t make sense about Auburn engineering - you don’t apply to Auburn engineering, you apply to Auburn, and I don’t know anyone that was turned down - they have like an 80% acceptance rate. You are pre-engineering until you complete your engineering math and physics classes in freshman/sophomore year…once you have successfully passed them with a b or c, not sure which, you can then register for engineering classes.

This was second hand info so I don’t know what caused the denial. Maybe the kid applied late? His sibling attends AU so I believe he wanted to go. He’s majoring in mechanical engineering at OU instead. So, I presume it would’ve been pre-engineering at AU in the first year or two like it is at many schools.

The three X’s on Auburn’s scattergram with SAT scores had 3.3-3.8 WGPAs and 1050-1200 SATs. I liked Auburn and OU as target schools for my D20.

Headed to some college tours today and tomorrow. Not quite CC caliber lol but self guided today at WVU and then in person at Pitt and Duquesne tomorrow. I’ll report back on D’s thoughts.

8 Likes

Didn’t know Pitt was doing in person tours. Guess it’s time for another road trip!! Safe travels and looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Haven’t checked in here in a long time- totally consumed with my '21. My '22 D is a totally different kid and her process with be nothing like D '21s totally exhaustive and involved experience. D’22 has a strong favorite right now that has been test optional for a while and should be a strong “likely” school for her, but doesn’t offer ED. Will need to work on finding a few others to add to her list. With D’21 we chased merit aid and financial aid at 100% meets needs schools. D’22 doesn’t have those high stats, and cost will be a big factor in adding any school to her list. I’m priming myself to get back in the game again.

7 Likes

Ok as promised, our thoughts on our weekend tours. These are just my honest perceptions of what fits my D.

WVU: nope. The campus is too scattered and disjointed and just not a fit for her at all.

Duquesne: she liked this more than I did. The campus is very self contained which is nice in a way but also was hard to tell what was super nearby. The guide talked about all the fun things they do on the weekends and the great transportation all around Pittsburgh. The freshman dorms are only hall style bathrooms. Beautiful views, nice presentation by admissions. They have the countries only dual major of biomedical engineering and Nursing which is pretty darn cool.

Pitt: wow. Double wow. Loved this and I was surprised by how much! It was perfect in so many ways to me. Beautiful green spaces and buildings. So much in town to see and do right at the doorstep of the dorms. Great fitness facilities and 5 hospitals on campus. Hello convenient clinicals! Down side, nursing is super tough to get into. D said she loved it but doesn’t know if she can see herself there.

She will definitely apply to Pitt and probably Duquesne as a safety. JMU is still her front runner despite nursing not being DA, although she said if she got into Pitt it makes more sense to go there.

We are visiting Clemson and UofSC in mid June and probably Temple and Villanova shortly as well.

12 Likes

Duquesne is walking distance to downtown and PPG Paints Area. It is also walking distance to the small light rail system which gets them to the North Side which has the stadiums and lot of restaurants, Station Square another restaurant nightclub destination and the southern suburbs… But you are right it is more confined and not quite the vibe of Pitt (Oakland). Also I suspect you that Pitt nursing harder to get into than Duquesne. Although in state Pitt tuition is cheaper, generally Duquesne give merit money to even out the tuition difference.

I may have mentioned in an earlier post I just went through nursing admissions with my D21 and she was accepted DA to UDel, Clemson, and Miami of Ohio. She was also admitted to pre-nursing at Bama, and UWisc. WL at UNC. Attending Miami with OOS tuition scholarship.

2 Likes

D attended an on line college fair last night. The timing wasn’t great, as she has an honors biology final today, but she did visit a few “booths” and found it very useful. Her top two schools were in attendance and both made nice impressions, solidifying their place as #1 and #2. She did a little research on safeties, and came away very impressed with Muhlenberg College. On the other hand, her impression of Johns Hopkins (one of her potential reaches) plummeted. I am sure the rep was swamped, but all he did was cut and paste links to their web site in answer to her questions. She had already looked at the web site and found the specific info missing, so this was more than frustrating. They are telegraphing that they don’t care about the impression they make, and that isn’t the kind of environment she wants to spend the next 4 years. It will likely be dropped and replaced with Cornell, whose rep was formal but personable and informative.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, really interesting. Has she also done virtual info sessions? I am curious how they compare to the online college fair.

She has done a few virtual info sessions -some on what a particular college looks for in their essay, some introducing the freshman experience at their school, etc… From her limited experiences, they tend to be longer presentations on a single topic, while this fair allowed her quickly to ask targeted questions.

1 Like

Have we already discussed next year’s classes for seniors? I need to pick y’all’s brain.

My D22 had lots of changes in her school’s offerings and had to sign up for classes available and not what was originally planned (her school is being extremely shady about why we had all these cuts in AP classes, etc).

So she will be taking English H, Multi-Var Calc, AP Bio (should’ve been AP Physics C), AP Stats (should’ve been AP Art History) AP Psychology (should have been Nano-science she wanted so bad) and AP Gov/AP Micro.

Now I am thinking this is too much of a load for Senior year. She is going into CS so she needs to show rigor, but maybe we can substitute one of the classes with PE (required, but she can take an excuse from it due to sport outside of the school) and it will still look like a great senior year courses.

I guess I don’t like deviation from original plan as we laid out her classes in her freshman year and I don’t want her to overextend herself and burn out with too much work.

Agree that on paper that is a pretty heavy load. Her original schedule looked more balanced. But sometimes just bc it’s an AP course does not mean it is super rigorous at that school. Which of those courses would she be allowed to drop for PE?
We recently had a similar decision. My son was loaded up on AP courses for senior year bc that is the way the school schedules them in the curriculum. He could have taken a free period instead of an additional Latin class, but by doing so he would no longer be tied as VAL. We left it up to him. He decided the Latin course would be easy, and that he did not want to give up on VAL.

2 Likes

Looks like a lot of work for a senior. What kind of schools is she targeting? T20s? One thing we did was see how many of D’s schools asked for lengthy supplemental essays. When you see how much time she is likely to need writing application essays, she may want to lighten the load. Alternatively, if she is largely targeting public universities, she may only need to do the common ap, and the extra coursework might not be that taxing.

2 Likes

@vistajay It would be AP Stat that she will drop. We are not really concerned with her stats relative to ranking, since her school does not rank, but definitely don’t want her schedule to look weak compared to top students in her school. Considering we had amazing acceptances this year for seniors into “pressure cooking” schools, my guess that top kids do have heavy loads…

@songbirdmama We have mostly top public schools on our list (think Georgia Tech, UMD, etc), but judging by her stats so far (4.0 UW and 36 ACT) she might try for couple of TOP 10. This is TBD during fall visits to these top schools. So this is a concern as well for me on how to balance college applications and these essays. She is not an essay kind of person…