Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Common App will roll over common demographic data but not school-specific questions or (I think) essays. Don’t go too overboard in completing it.

(But don’t put essays in until you’re done with editing/modifying/reviewing in Word or another tool anyway)

Non-Common App schools should say on their site. Example:

MIT has its own online application , which will be available online in August of the year prior to proposed entry.

4 Likes

Thanks for the correction! Yes, she wouldn’t have put in the essay or activity list until right before sending the app in. She did all that in Google docs.

@sfSTEM I signed up for the campus tour on that pick-up day. I am sure S22 will have no desire to show me around and will want to hit the road as soon as we can that afternoon, so I figured I’d do the official one.

@smiles2122 My parents went to UMich too. My dad graduated a couple months before I was born :). I’d have to check, but I might have technically lived in Ann Arbor for the first couple months of my life, lol. It is a great area for sure! We’ve gone for various events over the years, but never on a campus tour.

Thanks for the essay link. It opened for me too. I will check it out and get him moving on doing some of these things before summer and school get him too busy.

2 Likes

Thanks. Can a student also start completing the school specific sections? Or does that information not automatically roll over?

1 Like

It sounds like per @RichInPitt that the school specific stuff doesn’t roll over.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Who cares?! What does this have to do with Parents of the HS Class of 2022?

My D22 does not go to a prep school and is not interested in any of these colleges. Why did you post this here? Isn’t this thread to talk about our individual kids and their journeys to college and not generic stats from prep schools??

3 Likes

Most enrolled is very different than most popular.

All are great schools. Your conclusion, however that students find U Chicago or NYU “more popular” than say Princeton or Stamford is not supported by your analysis.

Also your geographic conclusions don’t account for boarding schools drawing from across the country while day schools are local.

Quite frankly, the “look at us, look how good we are” continuous Chicago activity comes across as representing an inferiority complex. It’s interesting how often they come from a “first time poster”.

4 Likes

We live in the Chicago suburbs, I work at a school that is ranked one of the best in the state, and live in a suburb also with a school ranked best in the state (slightly lower than the one I work at). If you take away the CPS magnet schools, both our high schools move up significantly, and no one at either of these schools has a love fest with U-Chicago nor do they send multiple kids to U-Chicago, so I agree with your assessment. Yes, it’s a great school, however, the top kids in and around Chicago, do not have a love fest with Chicago. We maybe have 3 or 4 people even apply per year, if that.

My son will be attending UM in the fall for engineering and is really excited. We last visited 3 years ago and didn’t have a chance to actually tour the engineering campus, other than driving around it. For his pre-orientation stuff, he thought the new robotics building was super cool and apparently they will soon be offering a robotics major (I think maybe this upcoming year). It’s funny how excited he was because he isn’t even interested in robotics. He also showed me a video of the little “town” (maybe not right word) they built in order to test drive electric cars. It’s pretty cool too. His dad is taking him there in July finally so they can get a good look around at campus. Hopefully when we drop him off in August, my husband and I can really spend some time checking things out with him.

As for the bus to North Campus, he originally wasn’t thrilled but when it was put in perspective he realize it is not a big deal at all. By perspective, I mean that we live about 15-20 mins from our high school and he spent sophomore and most of junior year taking the bus to/from school. This is no different. Additionally, when he’s not living on campus in AA then he will have to take a bus to either campus, so not much different. Even better is that he will probably be closer to a bus stop than our house is. The weather is the same so no issue there either. He’s still hoping to get Central campus though, lol.

@LostInTheShuffle Best advice anyone can give about the common app is absolutely start it now. There is some demographic info that they often need parental help on as well. Kids that don’t, often regret it later because this is all the innocuous stuff. You can also put in the Honors stuff and activities. That stuff can also be time consuming. The common app has gotten so much better since my first kid graduated hs in 2015. Can also put in your courses for next year. It basically leaves only the essays. Another suggestion is for your students to reach out to local AO’s and as what the supplemental essays are for each school. Some may change, most probably won’t. One other piece of advice, if anyone is applying to University of Texas, just note that tons of Texas apply on August 1 (they’re not on the common app), but the big thing there is that if you go there and plan to live on campus, you choose housing based on when you put a deposit down. These kids pay the deposit (non refundable) at the time they apply. I think it’s now $75. Seriously consider doing it because many kids this year are without housing or the housing they wanted and forced to live off campus - most likely in apartments, which is not where 18 year olds should be. UT doesn’t guarantee housing. Many live in off campus dorms also which are nicer, but some people don’t want to pay. So just a heads up for those interested. I have a kid there who loves it, but I didn’t know about the dorm thing and probably would’ve been SOL but she was always living in an off campus dorm so we got lucky.

4 Likes

That’s a really great perspective on north campus. My son got to drive to school this year, since his dad was working from home. I’m not sure what will happen once we would need a third car for that to happen. But he definitely has spent years walking to/from bus stops in terrible weather. But, he’s never really liked the winter. All these years of cold and snow and I always hear parents complaining their middle and high school kids don’t wear coats. Not him. He’s in a winter coat, zipped, hood on and gloves. Lol.

I’m looking forward to the tour and hoping it doesn’t rain. I know Michigan is a great place for engineering and it’s pretty close to home, so could be a great place for him to end up.

1 Like

My daughter goes to Cornell and is in Engineering there. Freshman all live on their North Campus (it’s not separate like Michigan), but the Engineering campus is literally the farthest point from the freshman dorms as can be and they basically have to either walk pretty far, or take the bus. Going back to the dorm it’s all up hill. So, I figure with all the bus stops in between, it’s probably pretty much the same thing and at least at Michigan there’s a dining hall on North campus, where at Cornell there is no dining hall at the Engineering Quad. Just small places to use “bucks”. She’ll be closer this year but will have to walk (up hill), I wonder how many days before she complains about that, lol.

My son is definitely the typical boy that didn’t wear a coat. We finally had to make a rule in maybe 5th grade that he couldn’t wear shorts when it was below 60. Now I don’t care - his body his issue. He is though amenable to a new winter coat and boots so no doubt he’s listened to people because originally he said he didn’t need boots. Smh.

2 Likes

We did the UMich tour today in the pouring rain. We did go into the lobby of a couple buildings, but we saw almost no one at all. He thought it was good to go and see it. Nothing stood out to him as great though. I was hoping for something. We skipped going to central campus since walking in wet shoes isn’t very fun. We can go another time and do an official tour down there.

In the admissions q&a they said they don’t superscore, but take the highest composite score and the highest math score you’ve hit.

3 Likes

D22 just got her first Covid jab! In the UK, they haven’t officially opened up Covid vaccination to under-18s but D22 heard from classmates that some sites were allowing younger people to get vaccinated. So, we turned up at one yesterday and I was fully prepared to be an annoyingly persistent parent to secure one for her (but that was not necessary - whew!)

Feel so much better now. D22 has to take public transport to school every day so it’s been a source of concern for me.

12 Likes

We just finished a 10-day mostly midwestern college tour for S22 who is interested in Industrial Engineering/Statistics. I will post a blurb on impressions later, but just wanted to say that we were most pleasantly surprised with our Iowa State visit. After the tour, S22 wanted to apply and we did so through CAP. We have an acceptance!

8 Likes

Congratulations. My S22 was accepted last month. We will be visiting Iowa State later this month, I am interested in hearing your impressions.

1 Like

Finally got June 12 ACT score back and S22’s prediction that he did not improve his composite score was correct, due to a decrease in his Reading section score. But he does end up with a 35 superscore, and his Math and English sections are 35 and 36. Of course all great scores but his expectations of himself are sometimes unrealistic.

College list is shaping up. Currently have ten schools. He recently commented that he’d be content at either of his two safety schools (yay!), if his reaches don’t pan out. We’ll be visiting UGA, W&L, UVA, Villanova, UPenn and Lehigh in about a month. Then will get in a trip to a few Texas schools and hopefully WashU and Vandy in the fall.

6 Likes

35 superscore is phenomenal!