Parents of the HS Class of 2023 3.0-3.4

Loved Maine when we were on the East Coast this summer. Think I like Maine’s Portland better than Oregon’s!

2 Likes

Yeah, my daughter has apps in at all of her schools except 2 now (10 down). She wants to refine her University of WA essay (has 2 days to do it) and work on some of the supplemental essays for Gonzaga (she has a couple weeks for that to apply EA).

4 Likes

D got two tough apps submitted last night - phew. She has three super easy ones left to do today. They aren’t due till 12/1 but she’s ready to be DONE. We’ve also got a couple of nit pick things like figuring out how to submit the FASFA to additional schools beyond the original 10.

I’m super nervous as a parent that nothing will work out. Even though she has plenty of “safeties” her profile is unique and her transcript has major holes. I’m worried the NPC’s could be inaccurate due to her profile too.

We have back up plans B and C for the RD round if needed but I don’t want her to be devastated and I don’t want to go through this again. UGH.

4 Likes

I hear you on this. We were all so relieved and happy when good news from a couple of rolling admissions schools came back quickly. I hope that happens for your D as well!

4 Likes

Congrats on being close! It is pretty easy to add schools on FAFSA. You just delete and add.

1 Like

Literally the same day I posted these worries D23 got into two of her safties: UMaine and Western Michigan. Both would be a perfectly good fit for her - especially WMU.

While she is still excited about a few other schools I am just WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

ALL of her apps are in and as far as I am concerned I - at least - am D-O-N-E. OMG it feels sooooo great. Now I get to focus on Christmas.

Thank you to this CC parent community and this particular group! When I talk to other parents right now I am in awe about how much I know and see about college admissions now. They, too will find their own paths and it will work out but this informed CC path was most definitely the path for us!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

25 Likes

Great news and congrats!!

1 Like

Congratulations! DS23 got into UMAINE with merit yesterday. Isn’t it nice to get a couple early acceptances?

9 Likes

For those who heard back from UMaine, how long did you send in the application? My send is submitting his tonight hopefully. He sent in UMASSDartmouth a few weeks ago. If people don’t mind me asking, how much merit did kids receive? I believe my son (MA resident) will have a reduction in tuition. Thanks

1 Like

Mine applied 11/1. We are from NH so the merit awarded (Presidential Flagship, he got 18k) brings the cost down to about what UNH would cost. He has also applied EA to UNH, UMASS Amherst, UVM & UCONN.

Good luck!

What does your kid want to study at UMASS-Dartmouth?

3 Likes

Congrats to all of the kids who got good news this week!!

6 Likes

We are from MA, as well, and DS major is eligible for NEBHE. He received 10,500 in merit (but his stats are higher than this thread). Top merit for NEBHE is 12,500

My kid submitted Common App on Oct 24, heard about merit aid last week.

2 Likes

Great to hear.

He chose Engineering.

1 Like

He just submitted it last night to UMaine. Hopefully will hear before Christmas.

My son finally submitted two more applications and I can finally breathe. My husband and I were so concerned about him getting some applications completed and submitted. So the three are : UMASSDartmouth, the University of Rhode Island, and the University of Maine. Just so relieved and now can enjoy the holidays.

Congrats on all the acceptances and the financial packages your children are receiving. This is a really great group of parents and love hearing all the good news and advice.

13 Likes

Nice that he got those apps in!!

Ok, we are doing another college visit on December 5th so my daughter can decide yes or no. It’s to Belmont University. She was accepted and now we are going to visit.

She applied to 13 schools as we wanted to cast the net…. So far accepted to 7:

SCAD $8000 academic scholarship

Belmont

Kent State $7500 merit

Univ of Arizona $2500 merit
Georgia Southern
Univ of Alabama
Univ of Virginia Commonwealth

Out of the rest she is waiting for only 2 are in top 5.

She is struggling with if she wants. big school vs smaller school. She is fashion merchandising major which not all schools have so she went after all schools she found in her research besides FIT in NYC. She did a summer week there and would love to apply/attend but decided it’s best for grad school if she chooses.

11 Likes

Hopefully she just “feels” it when she is at a school. Choosing is so hard. Great to have so many options though!

1 Like