Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Insane!

Casting a wide net looking for some ideas for my D24. Sheā€™s a bright kid but is showing only limited interest in going to college. She doesnā€™t want to take classes that donā€™t interest her and she isnā€™t sure what she wants to do. Her passion is horses so Iā€™ve been trying to get her to look into equine science programs and schools with equestrian teams. Now that my S23 has his applications in and the talk around his college choices is dying down, Iā€™m hoping sheā€™ll start to show more interest (sheā€™s the youngest of 3 and has always had to do her own thing. Plus the older two were very driven in their own waysā€”tough acts to follow). So, anyone out there have recommendations of schools to look at with good equine science programs and good equestrian teams? (She does not have her own horse). Sheā€™s looked at Univ of Kentucky, of course and I tried to get her to look at Colorado State. She is very intrigued by Hartpury University in England! I just am concerned about her job prospects with a degree from there or how that would translate if she were to decide to go to vet school.
We keep telling her horses are expensive so she better find a way to support her passion!

I know zilch about horses but I do know that my D19ā€™s school, WVU, has an equestrian team and (I just looked this up) an equine studies minor.
Itā€™s a big school, so she wouldnā€™t be kneecapping herself if she decided that was no longer what she wanted to do.

And depending on your stats, it has good auto-merit:
https://admissions.wvu.edu/cost-and-aid/scholarship-chart

4 Likes

Washington St has a very well regarded vet program, equine program and equestrian team.

2 Likes

Me!

2 more apps in- St. Lawrence and Amherst. 5 more to go. Itā€™s like pulling teeth!

4 Likes

This is only my second year teaching high school. The graduating class is over 500 kids; there is one college and career counselor. Even if not all the kids use it to apply to college, itā€™s still a worthwhile writing project.

My own kids go to a private school where there are two counselors and 70 kids per grade. Iā€™ve learned a lot because the support is very inclusive to the parents.

Part of this is self -serving because I have seniors who didnā€™t even know they had to do an essay, and they send my a hot mess to proof days before itā€™s due.

1 Like

Sewanee and Mt Holyoke both have lovely equestrian programs

3 Likes

Is she interested at all in Equine Therapy? I recently read an article about it - so compelling! Here are some universities that specialize in it:

Colleges for Equine Therapy - The Classroom

1 Like

Take a look at Auburn.

2 Likes

Did anyone share these stats yet?

whoa.
just about all of the acceptance rates went down from last year.

3 Likes

What is the title of that Ted talk? Thanks

Yes, please!

As someone from Kentucky, who works in the equine business, Iā€™d have her consider a Biology major over equine science. Bio is more versatile- several of my friends who majored in equine science said in hindsight, they wouldā€™ve picked a more flexible major. See if she can get an internship or volunteer position at a barn or equine nonprofit.

5 Likes

37 schools that have a varsity womenā€™s equestrian team (per College Navigator): list

24 schools listed a major in equine studies (per College Navigator): list

If you let folks know about regions of the country of interest (or non-interest), budget, academic background, etc, you might get some better recs.

1 Like

Sweet briar college in Virginia has an amazing equestrian program. The campus is gorgeous and the price isnā€™t bad. It is an all girls school.

2 Likes

She isnā€™t. I think it sounds like a great career for her. Not sure why it doesnā€™t interest her. Maybe sheā€™ll come around or at least take a closer look before dismissing it.

Looks promising! Iā€™ll have her check it out. Not sure what sheā€™ll think of it being an all girls school!

1 Like

Findlay (spelling ?) University in Ohio. A friendā€™s daughter started there for equine science. It didnā€™t work out for her, but the mom was really impressed with the program. Freshman are assigned a horse which is ā€œtheirā€ horse for the duration. The support services (tutoring & counseling)are really good. Her daughter unfortunately was resistant to utilizing them.

3 Likes

Utah State. On the other hand, my sister went to College of Charleston for Gender Studies, and now is startingup her own business boarding and training horses, so, really, maybe just learning how to run a business is useful!

3 Likes