Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

I work with two Vandy people. They are both tools.

I work with a U of W Georgia grad - never heard of the school - he’s top shelf.

Vandy is great - and hard to get into - but regardless of where you go, you still have to deliver.

Some will, some won’t.

I live in Nashville. I know Vandy people, UTK, Auburn, Ms State, Lipscomb, Belmont and countless others.

The Vandy person has a chance at success as does anyone else.

It’s great your daughter got in but @1dadinNC point is not wrong. I should say - it’s great “for her”. No one denigrated Vandy.

Kids everywhere have to deliver the goods to be successful in life - and hopefully all of ours will - no matter where they go. That’s why heads turn.

3 Likes

I have a question for the group that I would like to have some opinions about because I really don’t know the best move.

S23 really likes Baylor as a first choice. He just found out that he was awarded merit of $27,000/year which is close to the highest amount of the merit given in the first round. That would still put the school at $45,000/year which is really too much for S23. He is still in the running for another merit scholarship, but that one is quite difficult to win and for an unknown amount.

So the question is this- Baylor is need aware, not need-blind. (As far as I understand.) Their aid is based on FAFSA and the CSS including the non-custodial parent. As this list knows from from my posts, S23 will be found ineligible for any aid at all based on bio-dad. So we have the option of turning in a form that says we will not be applying for need-based aid. On the other hand, we can just leave it pending until after they decide the next merit award. It is not clear how the next merit will be decided. There is an essay, but it also says it is holistic and based on an overall file.

Since Baylor is need aware, would it help or hurt son’s chances to turn in the form that says he will not be filing for need aid? One one hand, if they know he won’t be asking for need-based aid, they might offer him more merit to get him to come as a payer of the remaining money who won’t be asking for institutional money. On the other hand, maybe they would see the form and think, “Oh, we won’t offer him merit because he is so sure that he isn’t going to ask for more money that maybe we can get him to come without any more.” I just can’t figure out which is the better move.

S23 has had a really hard six years, and I am trying to keep his options open since he likes Baylor so much. Any advice would be appreciated.

3 Likes

I lean towards not turning the form in. I don’t think you indicating you don’t foresee having financial need (including not taking the federal loan) is going to make the school think to themselves that they need to offer you more merit money.

Kindly, I also think you may have crossed the invisible line of overthinking your remaining moves vis a vis whether more merit money is going to be coming. I highly doubt these determinations are being done on an individual level with each choice like “form filled out or not” counting; I’m pretty sure the school has algorithm that determines merit award based upon stats, zip code, optimal amount of interest shown as they count it, institutional needs (we need a tuba player - let’s sweeten the pot a bit more) etc, etc, etc.

If the amount of money that would change affordability is $7k or less, I would feel very comfortable calling the admission office and letting them know what number would change S23’s response from undecided to a yes for Baylor. I would literally call and say, "Baylor is son’s first choice but the numbers aren’t quite where they need to be for our family to be able to get to yes. He’s in the running for the additional scholarship and my fingers are crossed that will work out. But Is there any other way for Admissions to take another look and see if there’s other merit money S23 qualifies for?

I’d only do that, as I said, if the amount per year is less than $7k difference. If it’s more, there’s definitely diminishing returns for a school to work to bridge the difference. I would not look at this as a negotiation, rather an ask for consideration you might not know about as a parent that the admission office may know.

7 Likes

Thanks. This is really helpful. I suspect I am overthinking it. S23 is just having a hard time lately (okay, since Covid), and as a parent, I wish I could do something to make things go his way. So this seemed like one thing I could control- turn in a form or not.

I appreciate the advice!

9 Likes

I just want to say I can completely relate to your desire for this one thing to finally go your son’s way :purple_heart:

13 Likes

Same here on the east coast. Completely changed the ec/volunteering landscape.

3 Likes

The final sentence is huge to me. If Baylor is Need Aware and if the family’s financials (including Biodad, regardless of whether you know Biodad isn’t contributing) make Baylor think you will not require any aid, I say do not send in the form. Baylor will already assume your family needs no aid, or at least much less aid than Financially needy family. That will give your son a boost in admission chances.

Then, after he’s offered admission, I’d approach the school and inform them of your need.

Good luck!

5 Likes

Just did some math. Accepted at 10 out of 17 thus far.

Total merit offered based on academics and talent thus far totals $201,195/yr. Thats 804,780 over 4 years of “free” tuition assistance.

Yet some schools are still out of range for what I want to pay. Crazy.

5 Likes

but do you have one? That’s why you applied to 17 - to find that needle in the haystack that you can afford.

9 Likes

I’m reminded of that quote from David Copperfield, “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. ”

8 Likes

Yes. We will have a few I think. With a music major he wanted to cast a wide net as academic and school of music acceptances work seperately and schools of music can be more picky.

5 Likes

Bam…the hard work will have paid off!!

1 Like

for us, this is such a weird time of the year with waiting for total financials, and one more acceptance due today (FSU). On FB pages of some of her admitted colleges students are already choosing roomates, and making plans. We are still waiting. waiting. waiting. (and not very patiently!).

8 Likes

We are also waiting on FSU today. Plus a few other schools who announce later in February and March. The waiting and not knowing feels harder as more and more friends are committing to their schools and making plans!

2 Likes

Yes, the waiting is difficult. Second guessing, looking for “signs” and trying to read my gut - it’s driving me a bit nuts as a parent. I just so badly want our applicant to be proud and feel that all of the hard work paid off. Good luck to your applicant. Hoping we come back here May 1 with great great - even terrific, news!

5 Likes

ah, same back to you. good luck and hope its all wonderful.
my D23 basically has one interview left for a special engineering program at our local state school. She did not get into another co-hort she interviewed with earlier; so honestly not expecting this, nor stressing. just want financials!

This is my third kid to go through the process and I so wish colleges all released decisions (and aid!) on the same day. We are in the weird waiting period until March 15 to hear back from the rest. It’s hard when friends are already committed.

6 Likes

My kid is also just waiting - most U of California decisions won’t release until March and he’s still hoping for scholarship info for 3 other schools. Plus 3 deferrals. Thankfully most of his friends are in the same boat.

2 Likes

Waiting for RD is so hard. I keep checking email every few minutes as if some important update or request for info is going to come through from a school, even though I know we won’t hear anything from anywhere for 3-6 more weeks. Feels like I can’t wait one more minute.

7 Likes

Hadn’t seen that abbreviation before. :joy: