Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

Interesting to see all the WL movements before May 1. One thing of note I heard on a podcast is that high stat kids are applying to record number of colleges through common app. Because of this, yields are even more unpredictable. Interestingly, very selective schools are now admitting students off the WL early to make their yield rates look stronger than they actually are. Hence all the emails, calls and such. Another sad testament to how colleges do what they can to game the system.

From the same podcast, apparently the new dean of Wake Forest has decided that their admit rate will be 8% and that is that.

Too lazy to scroll up and quote but @dfbdfb , a lighthearted comment. If Alabama’s athletic director wants my son to write a thank you note to Nick Saban, I will make sure he writes two. For $150K in scholarships over 4 years, he will write two each year. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Duke and UPenn do not have deposits, you just pledge you are coming and have only pledged to one. Deposits can be a serious barrier to many families.

8 Likes

Our city is a “leader” in bike theft. :frowning: My son’s bike is a 1970s frame and may pass the old bike test.

Advice needed. My kid is a graduating High school senior. Top 15% in Class. Nationally recognized ECs with press coverage, Top 2% SAT scores. Heart set on T20 schools, but it has been a blood bath. Accepted admission and going to TAMU Engineering. Has to go through ETAM process for major selection. Since transfering to a dream school is difficult as a sophomore (and not possible in California) and with limited seats, considering applying as a freshman again. Can they do that and transfer whatever college credits are allowed to be transfered?

Yes I was just reading threads for fun and see lots of Waitlists started moving early (in addition to UChic and Vanderbilt who usually move earlier than others):
Stanford, Cornell, UCs, and more are moving as of last week or earlier and then it appears a few kids who were rejected for Engineering at Michigan got an update offering them Waitlist. What an unusual April.

6 Likes

I’m confused - are you talking about transferring or taking a gap year?

If your kid wants to take a gap year, that’s totally fine - but they can’t take any college classes during that year, otherwise they lose their freshman status (and qualification for freshman-level scholarships).

10 Likes

At what point does the movement on waitlists for colleges change from unusual to the ‘as always, April and May are a crazy ride for those not set on a school’?

Just seems like we are 5-7 years into the ‘new normal’.

4 Likes

Couldn’t help but hear Simon & Garfunkel in my head

2 Likes

I would normally say consider a gap year but there is zero guarantee that things will be easier next cycle. Might be even harder based on what SCOTUS decides. Class rank will become more and more important along with low SES status. We found that out the hard way with DS23.
I do not see anything wrong with TAMU for engineering. It is a very strong program. If your son is capable then ETAM should be fine. I was advised by @FriscoDad to have my son retake Calculus 1/2 for GPA. Finally, the 2+2 option requires swallowing some pride but the pathway to a flagship state uni through community college is a very good one.

1 Like

OK, So if the kid goes to TAMU, it looks like that they will lose their freshman status. I did not know that. The only way is to then take a gap year I guess.

3 Likes

I have never seen kids rejected at a top school get an update putting them on the WL, and Stanford WL offers came almost immediately—which has not happened in prior years—to me that makes this year unusual even in this new-normal.

1 Like

“White female, no hooks other than the Dukelegacy.
All RD except as indicated.
Had interviews for 10 schools(all that offer them except Columbia )

1570(800/770 same sitting), max course rigor incl 12 APs ( all 5s so far including Chem, BCcalc, PhysC, Phys1, EngLit, USH, stat), 4.0uw, at or near very top of class (no official rank) at competitive private high school.
Engineering research;State/ regional Academic and EC honors/awards; school awards; Performing arts(mostly pre-pro ballet with other dance forms about 20 hrs per week, including many years of professional performance experience; orchestra w leadership)
Community service;School club leadership

Accepted:
UPenn VIPER (Engineering/Arts&Sci Dual degree program)
Duke (Pratt Engineering)
Northwestern(McCormick Engineering)
WashU St Louis (McKelvey Engineering)
Wake (full COA Signature scholar)
UVA(Rodman scholar)
Davidson (Belk nominee)

Waitlist: Harvard (deferred EA), Princeton, Columbia , Brown, Hopkins, UChicago (but then had a verbal offer of a spot, shortly after WLd) , Swarthmore
Rejections: yale, mit”

UPDATE:
D23 has committed to UPenn!
Penn rolled out the red carpet for Quaker Days, and that sealed it, plus the perks of her dual-degree program are tough to beat anywhere.

18 Likes

Thanks, I agree TAMU Engineering is very good. D23 will graduate with an IB diploma, HL Math, SL CS. Taking Calc 1/2 for GPA is good advice as she navigates the ETAM process.

2 Likes

TAMU engineering is very strong. I know kids in top 5% GPA + National Merit Finalist + state/national STEM awards happily choosing TAMU engineering over UT auto admission.

3 Likes

OK, So if the kid goes to TAMU, it looks like that they will lose their freshman status. I did not know that.

This is especially true for the UC’s you asked about in another discussion thread.

The following Engineering programs at TAMU are ABET accredited which is far more important.

Within the Texas A&M University College of Engineering, the undergraduate programs in aerospace, biological and agricultural, biomedical, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, industrial, mechanical, nuclear, ocean, petroleum and radiological health engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.

Reports and Accreditation | Texas A&M University Engineering.

If they are an academically strong student, they will do well at any school and it does not need to be a T20 school.

10 Likes

If you take that route please keep in mind that a) your kid should use the year meaningfully - meaning try to do an internship/work/research, etc. and b) applying to the same schools he applied to and was rejected this cycle will almost surely produce the same results.

So plan the gap year and figure out which new schools to apply to. Remember though, there’s no guarantee of acceptance to a T20 next year either.

I know it’s disheartening for kids to not get into their “dream school” but TAMU is a good school too and he should seriously consider going there.

Best wishes.

10 Likes

Thanks all, this is super helpful to get so much advice so quickly. We are set on TAMU and will see what the future holds. Since we are first time and last time college parents, I did not know where else to ask.

4 Likes

YES! Exactly! She did apply to 2 ivies, did not get in. In hindsight, she shouldn’t have applied, because they didn’t have the program she wanted to study.

My son is pretty close to committing to Case Western, even though there are some uncertainties for year 2, 3, & 4 as my daughter will graduate in 2024 and we will only have one in college for those years, so we aren’t sure how this will impact our financial aid. But FA gave us enough reassurance that it shouldn’t be too drastic based on the CSS they have from us, my son plans to apply to be an RA down the line (and has a Plan B for extra money if that doesn’t work out) so we planned out the “worst case scenario” and know we can swing it without extra loans.

Glad to see some movement on waitlists. My son is still on the waitlist for Northeastern (which was his top choice originally) but we don’t expect any surprises. The only benefit of Northeastern vs. Case Western is the Northeastern Promise which guaranteed that the costs will be consistent all 4 years and won’t go up. I’m a planner so this “unknown” is causing me anxiety, but I know it will all work out.

11 Likes

I understand, and the change in FAFSA next year has us ruling out colleges with large FA packages, and sticking to ones with generous merit. Actually we made the same decision with my 21, to go to a merit school and we had a 20000 rise in our EFC between her entering college and her junior year next year. Her siblings will not be on her senior year FAFSA, raising it more.

3 Likes