Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1) - #10044 by Novacat9191.

Previous discussions:

1 Like

I feel honored that I closed out the original thread.

22 Likes

and the @momsearcheng one is way over 1K but I think still open. I could be wrong.

What about the top 3 is most appealing?

I guess I can surmise size as one thing - well in taking off UMD and Rutgers and Lafayette and Holy Cross.

What are they looking for - if you looked at the top 3 or I suppose top 5?

Nova is Catholic - obviously not a concern but is that something that should be looked at? Cost? Does one want to be in a bigger area - all three have things around but none are smack dab in the middle and W&M is less so than the other two.

What are the qualities you seek or why is it these three rose to the top.

Everyone sees things differently - my daughter loved the W&M campus - dad didn’t love the price :slight_smile:

Nova to me is businer. She didn’t like Richmond’s location nor campus layout - but that’s all individual…so what does yours think?

1 Like

You missed a zero. 1k vs 10k. :wink:

Since you did close it out, but since you were asking for insights from the community in it, I’ll post it over here so that you might actually get some answers. :slight_smile:

Continuing the discussion from Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1):

Congrats to your son on all of his acceptances! Are they all affordable?

5 Likes

What does he want to study? That would make a difference in considering some of these schools.

1 Like

S23 texted me a little while ago:

“Forgot to check Penn portal yesterday”
-We did
“Guess I didn’t get in”
-No you did not
“Okay”

Temple - Accepted w/ Merit
Drexel - Accepted with Tuition waiver
UPenn - rejected

Will live at home so just Books and Fees at Drexel and 10K a year more at Temple. One of his best friends got into Drexel last week so I’m pretty sure the decision has been made.

18 Likes

I think Drexel is definitely the easy choice. Temple is in the news for its issues with crime and Drexel has a better location. Plus Drexel has a great coop program.

3 Likes

So just wondering if you lived in Philly suburbs and if money was not a huge concern( for us it matters), where would you send your ambitious driven daughter who was voted “ Most likely will be my boss !” and “ most likely to change the world!” Superlatives in her top public high school in PA.

Accepted— UVA.
UMD
Penn State( Schreyers)
Rutgers( Honors with merit scholarships which brings cost same as Penn
state)
UPitt( Honors)
Fordham( small scholarship with COA- 54K)
Waitlisted
Cornell
UPenn
Columbia
Georgia Tech.

2 Likes

How did she get a tuition waiver at Drexel? That’s great!

2 Likes

UVA if it’s affordable and she likes the campus & size. We’re in Philly burbs too and half of our HS seems to be going to Penn State & Pitt, which makes them seem like an extension of high school at times. Study abroad opps should probably be large part of consideration for a student like this as well.

4 Likes

Thanks for your recommendation. She was more interested in UMD than UVA. I agree lot of her classmates are going to PSU. But not kids like her! Since most of her close friends are not interested in Comp science they have gotten into fancier schools such as CMU, Gerogia Tech, Columbia etc.
Not sure being in northeast and going to top public school and wanting Comp science hurt my poor kid’s ambitions to go to elite school. As adult I know it does not matter but for a high school kid who worked really hard and was bright eyed and bushy tailed it is hard to swallow.

Toured W&M with S21. Loved the campus. He was lukewarm on the surrounding area. It seemed somewhat limited, and we were in a few gift shops on the main street that were still fighting the Civil War :wink: He didn’t end up applying there.

One takeaway my son had from all the tours was that he wanted a school with lots to do within walking distance but also easy access to a city. I think those are the things you don’t really think about until you visit a school and try to envision your life there.

2 Likes

Taking a moment to appreciate that my ex is currently being cooperative and very communicative. I think this will really help our son to feel supported and I have hope my ex will financially contribute. I was quite concerned that my “ex’s voice” would be “louder” than my son’s but now that we have acceptances and financial aid in hand, I think my son will be able to thrive and find his voice no matter where he lands. Kid is being mature with his comparisions and thoughts. I am feeling more at peace.

24 Likes

Many years (decades) ago, I refused to tour William and Mary once we drove through the town. It was obviously a very bratty reaction, but I think William and Mary is a school that engenders strong feelings because of the location, reenacters, etc. . . The students that attend seem to have a particularly strong attachment/love for the school, so definitely a school where visits are critical.

4 Likes

For a kid interested in CS, I’d choose UMD or Pitt.

5 Likes

Maryland is a top school for computer science, she needn’t feel cheated.

3 Likes

Also from the same area of PA - What type of campus/location is she looking for?
Penn State and Pitt could not be anymore different.
Same as UMD and UVA. UVA is much more contained as a campus while UMD is more connected to the surrounding area. PItt is woven in the city.

Between my 3 kids, we have seen (and been accepted) at all on your list with the exception of Fordham. We would personally rule out Rutgers.

Depending on major, cost, and location preferences we would make our decision from there. I

UVA is great but I would not pay $20,000+ more a year for it. However, personal finances are personal and every family has their own priorities for how to spend their $$

Did she get any $$ at UMD? My first 2 liked UMD. #1 decided she didn’t like it better than her favorite (true safety) so never applied. #2 applied/accepted/and received $$ It made it into the final 4 for that one - decided on a different direction but lots to like about UMD.

All of mine really wanted to leave PA. Pitt/PSU/Temple are all filled with friends and neighbors. At least half of the class - if not more - go to one of these 3 schools from our high school. That was a huge negative for my kids. Other kids that is a huge positive. Personally, I LOVE Pitt and all it has to offer. It is far enough away to make it feel like going away but not too far. I hated PSU location and campus feel - however the alumni network is amazing in our area. They didn’t want to go where so many peers went.

Great choices. Good luck to your daughter as she decides.

1 Like

I think the most likely to is great - but not relevant.

What will she major in.

These schools are all different. Does money matter? If so, lose Fordham.

UMD is large, near DC. If no money, pricey.

PSU Honors has a great rep - huge and sprawling in no where land.

Rutgers - like a PSU sort of.

Pitt Urban

UVA - sort of in between. And pricey. Unless they gave you need aid.

These are different. Where does she fit best?

WHat matters to mom and dad - i.e. $$??

1 Like

Really is UPitt better than Schreyers?

1 Like

She got nothing at UMD no honors nothing so at this point it is pretty much out of our list. Trying to decide between Schreyers vs Rutgers.

1 Like