Parents of the HS Class of 2024

Thank you. I will look into this.

Thank you. We are still trying to figure these things out with our child as well.

There are WUE schools that ā€œarenā€™t too coldā€! My oldest daughter goes to Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction and it is a very pleasant climate (TBH, itā€™s too hot for me!). Itā€™s been a great school for her, granted she went there for the cycling team. The school is growing like crazy. They are adding a PT school (and maybe a PA school?), they are a ā€œbranchā€ of CU Boulderā€™s engineering school, and itā€™s very affordable. Itā€™s not the easiest to get to depending on where you are coming from (believe me, I just bought tickets to fly there, from Alaska, for graduation!) and all of my daughterā€™s activities were focused on cycling so Iā€™m not sure how much else there is to do. Grand Junction is a small town but growing! She actually finished up her classes in December and she is sticking aroundā€”hoping to get into med school somewhere but will stay there until then.

1 Like

I highly recommend adding USC to your list for SoCal. They are up there esp. if you are looking at Pomona, Oxy. We had a real eye opener after the tour and piecing together information from families whose kids have now graduated from various schools

1 Like

@hello06 @huango where did your older ones end up and are they as happy or happier now with where they landed up. I ask bc my 2024 seems similar and we are trying to get a realistic college list together

1 Like

We are visiting BU and Northeastern #colleges-and-universities:northeastern-university #colleges-and-universities:boston-university at the end of March. Looking for the most convenient neighborhood / hotels to stay in. Thanks

1 Like

DS2022 got into his #1 and is a Freshman at MIT.
He truly loves it there.
Being local to MIT, heā€™s been participating in many MIT programs/activities for years (hoping some day heā€™d be a student) before applying. Itā€™s great to finally make it happen.

DD2024 will ED1 and ED2 at her top 2 colleges, utilizing the slight increase of acceptance by ED.
According to Naviance, ED1 doesnā€™t accept hardly any of our HS students :frowning_face:,
while ED2 seems to accept every one of our HS students.

Hope you can find input from people who have stayed at nearby hotels, because I havenā€™t stayed at these hotels (since I live 30min away),

but a few MIT families have recommended the Eliot Hotel and the Verb

Be sure to sign up for official tours way ahead,
we didnā€™t do well with self-tours.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Weā€™re visiting BC and BU in April. Be interested in your thoughts on BU.

Im not sure BU is worth $61k/tuition plus everything else = $82k. Not sure how many Merit scholarships they give but thought weā€™d see it.

My '22 niece was rejected by BU but got accepted to Amherst, UMIch, Georgetown and was waitlisted by Brown and Columbia so I assume BU must yield protect.

1 Like

BU LOVES ED applicants.
Just about all of BU accepted students from our High School applied ED.
I donā€™t think any RD from our HS were accepted.

For what major?

Careful that youā€™re not visiting during Boston Marathon Weekend Mon, Apr 17, 2023.
Sooo many people/no available hotels.

Our school has a 63% acceptance rate for BU ED.

Business major.

Not Boston marathon weekend. BU is not high on her list (even though itā€™s a really good school) but we thought weā€™d check it out since itā€™s close.

Anyone have a thought about attending a class on a school visit? We are going to Vanderbilt next weekend and was going to listen in on the orchestra rehearsal but all of the ensembles are off the day we are there. Now moving on to a regular class. Wondering if it helps or hurts?

1 Like

My D got a lot out of sitting in on classes when we were looking at schools. Good to see the interaction between students and professors, and with each other.

5 Likes

We havenā€™t yet, but we are planning to when we visit Rice over our spring break. I am hoping it will be helpful. Also, we live in another state and figured we should get our moneyā€™s worth out of the visit and do as much as possible while there.

1 Like

That is my thought, Vandy is a bit of a trip for us and why not see it all.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping D24 will get to do this when we visit Austin College & Southwestern Univ in April.

2 Likes

My daughter attended classes on two different days at a university within driving distance. She picked classes in which she had taken AP courses. While she had zero interaction with students, it helped her confidence that that particular college was not going to be ā€œabove her headā€.

She later still needed the accepted student day to be reassured that her prospective classmates were going to be a good fit as well.

1 Like

Iā€™d stay in the Back Bay, closer to Kenmore Square ā€“ more dining opportunities than there are closer to BU. Not sure what hotels are good anymore (I have stayed at the Eliot and it was nice, but that is a while back). If you are feeling adventurous, you can take the Green line all the way out to BC. I lived in downtown Boston for 12 years - itā€™s very walkable (not BC, though).

1 Like

Iā€™ll second that (or third it). Always a good number of kids going to BU from our HS (weā€™re in MA) but most who get accepted do ED/ED2. Northeastern is similar - most kids who get in do some version of ED/EA.

2 Likes