Parents of the HS Class of 2024

If youre going to Boston, it has excellent Italian food.

Carmelina’s is small but packed. You need a reservation in advance.

Giacomo’s is also really good but doesnt take reservations and you’ll have to stand in line.

2 Likes

For NEU we may do Scheduled tour if possible as that meets a lot of my sons wish list (Co-op, semester abroad and so on) For the other college we may just do self tour if time is an issue.
Sure will reach out to you about WPI.

In regards to finances we are not looking for Aid so at this point that is not a concern. Fit is the most important followed by ease of getting to and fro California. East coast is far but the big cities we have direct flights and many flights per day so hoping it won’t be too bad. If I had my wish he would stay in west coast but I am trying to let S24 have more control on this process.

Thanks will look into it as we plan the trip.

If youre going to Boston, you should look at BC as well. BC’s campus is really beautiful.

My D didnt like it because she thought it was too preppy and wanted more campus diversity but it’s a good contrast to BU which is more urban.

Chestnut Hill is very nice.

2 Likes

Two a day would be doable, but no more than two. Also take notes or videos. After multiple tours things can blend into a blur. One parent once commented after days of touring that they really liked Boston University. It had a defined campus and was across the street from the Museum of Fine Arts. She was remembering Northeastern!

3 Likes

Thanks will check out BC also. One reason we decided that Boston is a good place to start as there are different types of colleges in one metro area.

Thanks for your tips. will remember to take notes and videos/pics as suggested. I can see how easy it would be to confused when we visit multiple in a few days.

So lots of angst for no reason. D24 thought both APUSH and APmicro tests were easy. APLang next week, and then she can relax a bit!

5 Likes

APUSH went well here too, finals were cancelled here last year because of a technology issue so this is the first time S24 every took a final exam. The fact it was not so bad was a huge relief.

4 Likes

I would recommend before school starts. Once school starts its harder to do and you will really want to starts doing the apps in the fall.

2 Likes

DS took AP Euro and AP Pysch this week. Next week AP Lang and the the make up APUSH. Euro and apush were at the same time so it is what it is. So far he believes they are going well. At our school, if you take the AP test you don’t have to take final in the class so he is almost finished with this year.

Now just to find a summer job….

6 Likes

My son has AP English Lang and Comp and AP Music Theory. Finishing up projects. Then figuring out summer with broken collarbone. Sling comes off in 2 weeks and then sports can resume end of July.

5 Likes

It all depends on the instructor - the AP Tests are a known quantity. It’s easy for a good instructor to prep for them, so that your AP scores are (at minimum) in line with class grades.

I agree. I told D24 that her teachers were hard on them all year so the actual exam would feel easy to them.

3 Likes

DS has his last AP exam tomorrow: AP Calc AB. He felt like the AP US Gov’t last week went well and he’s been reviewing on his own for AP Calc. He took the final in class the week before AP exams began because that’s how his school works. He will have his honors classes left after tomorrow and has sports practice, competitions, a summer job lined up, and will finally take time for Driver’s Ed, which has been overloaded around us since it reopened last year.

Good luck to all kids taking AP exams this week!

7 Likes

My S24 also has AP Calc AB tomorrow. The timing of the test (morning, 8-12) is a little tricky for him. He is homeschooled and doesn’t have any regular morning commitments, so he usually rolls out of bed between 8 & 9, then takes an hour or so to work up to doing anything productive. :grimacing: I’m hopeful his brain will turn on in time to manage the test…

5 Likes

Eat some berries, nuts or eggs for breakfast. Maybe that will help.

1 Like

Does anyone have any advice or info on filling out the brag sheet for the hs counselor? I am not sure how much detail to give or what exactly to write. S21 applied for audition based programs and the answers were pretty straight forward.

3 AP tests this week for S24. He seems pretty chill about it all. Just had a meeting with his GC - she has been excellent (was lucky enough to get her for S22 as well). He seems ahead of the game - has visited a lot of schools, has recommendations lined up and has a plan to boost his SAT this August (very good score, but needs a little better for some of the schools he is considering). It’s night and day compared to S22 where it was like pulling teeth to get him to focus on college. Can’t really believe junior year is drawing to a close. Where does the time go.

8 Likes

What attributes does your child have that would be assets to the college community that he or she would be part of? Pick a couple and work backwards, highlighting the attributes and examples of the attributes. Some counselors recommend picking attributes that fit a theme that the common app essay would highlight; others recommend picking complementary attributes.