Parents of the HS Class of 2024

my daughter plays travel softball which runs nearly year round. She has been using khan academy. it is a great resource but we did not get nearly enough work in this summer as I had planned and I finally got tired of nagging. Now that school has started, her long school days, conservatory work, and practice schedule are not leaving much time for study so we aren’t sure when, or even if, she will take the SAT. We attended a lot of online college presentations this summer and the speakers talked about TO. I was skeptical in the past that colleges really don’t care if scores are submitted but I’m pretty close to convinced now.

1 Like

D24 is also taking the SAT tomorrow. She’s done some review but is pretty rusty on math. She took AP statistics last year so it’s been a bit since she had regular math.

School started this week. Hoping for a very boring and normal year after the past few. She’s in the IB diploma program and I worry a bit about some classes being a struggle after missing so many weeks of school the past few years.

1 Like

My first one, college sophomore, chose a state flagship over a couple of T20 privates, and I asked her whether she had any regrets. “Heck no!” is the cleaned up answer. She is doing research with a poster presentation and should be published this year, she painted her face for a football game and was on ESPN, she is TAing a class, Spent the summer in Europe getting a minor, Has an awesome on campus apartment for free as part of her scholarship, has made some fabulous friends, and I can’t put into words the personal growth.

I’m sure she would have bloomed at the other schools too. I’m just saying find the right place for your kid and it will all work out.

6 Likes

We spent a lot of time debating this and if S doesnt do well today then this may be a one and done and he will apply TO. It seems really unclear if kids who are TO are at a significant disadvantage at this point. A great score will help them out but a mediocre one will not support them. Year round high level sports and a conservatory based program in anything will make her standout without a score. Good luck to her today!

2 Likes

Do schools really prefer to see four years of foreign language in high school? S24 has taken Spanish (this will be his third year). He opted not to do physics this year and do engineering instead (an option at his school). Now it looks like most of the schools on his list want at least three years of natural/lab sciences so he will have to do physics senior year. I am wondering if he opts out of Spanish senior year and takes physics, will that be a mistake? Looks like the schools he is looking at want two years of language and he only needs two to graduate so I am thinking this might be a good option for him so he has more room to add in a couple electives. His high school has always encouraged language all four years. He is interested in business and looking at mostly southern D1 state schools (Bama, LSU, FSU, ASU, etc.). His high school does have a couple more business-y electives he could do next year if he drops Spanish.

Many schools require or strongly suggest four, but they tend to be uber-competitive admissions schools. For the schools he is considering , it likely doesn’t matter, but you should confirm by going to the websites and seeing if they specify.

5 Likes

I agree with @2Devils. Depends no the school and the kid. My S21 with a acting supplement was accepted into several competitive (but not highly competitive schools) with two years of foreign language and no Physics (our school has a “physical science” course that all kids take in 9th grade that counts as a lab science). For the schools you have listed 3 years is probably enough and physics is likely more important, but I would ask your guidance counselor and look at the college requirements. The fourth year of language may allow him to place out of a language requirement in college but a business elective will not.

1 Like

Many specify that the lab science courses include both life sciences (ex. biology) and physical sciences (ex. chem, physics). Has he already taken biology and chemistry? If he happens to find engineering interesting and decides to go in that direction rather than business, he will want to have physics in high school.

Certainly it depends on the college but more seem to be specific about their science requirements than they are about foreign language. I believe most schools prefer four years in each subject area, however, I wouldn’t choose four years in one subject if it means only two in another (especially science, math or English).

1 Like

I agree, my S24 got Erica Meltzer’s book and his score on the practice tests increased from the low-mid 600’s to consistent 700+. He has not yet taken the SAT so we will see how it plays out but he definitely found her book extremely useful

Yes he had biology freshman year and chemistry sophomore year. Every school on his list wants 2 years of foreign language but at least three of lab science. There is a “laboratory” component of engineering but it definitely is not a true lab.

Yes. The English reading is usually the most difficult for most students and the grammar is supposedly the easiest.

Daughter is taking the SAT is December and then March (official school test). We were going to take it earlier in the fall but field hockey just takes way too much time in October/November.

A few weeks ago, she took Practice Test 10 on Kahn academy and got a 1530. She got 780 on English and 750 math. Supposedly when you start school and get your mind used to a regular schedule, you might do better than coming in cold from the summer.

2 Likes

If he is interested in Engineering I would do Physics in high school. For engineering Math Physics is very important especially if not CS. I am an engineer myself Physics was my fav subject so cant imagine any one not wanting to do it :slight_smile:
3 years of Foreign language is good for most colleges.

So waiting for SAT results next week but the big debate in the house is should he take PSAT? NMF cutoff is 222 this year for our state which means that you can only lose 1 point in each section! Guess we will see his SAT score and have him take a real PSAT off Reddit, anyone else have thoughts?

1 Like

Why wouldn’t they take the PSAT? For us it’s administered in school and everyone takes it. I suppose you could just call in sick that day and have a free morning, but why not take a stab at it?

2 Likes

Our school does not administer on a school day, it is given on a saturday, there is a registration fee and you have go get there by 745. He would have to miss half of his saturday conservatory program to take it.

It doesn’t hurt for him to take it. If he does well, potential scholarship. If not, nothing to lose.

1 Like

If he’s missing something to take it and has no chance at the NM standing, then I’d probably skip it. But if he has a small chance I’d do it. You don’t know what the scholarships might be and even $2500 is nice to have!

Our school also has it on a Saturday with a fee. I wish we did the school day test. It would be much easier.

2 Likes

There are some colleges which give a full ride or even full tuition for being a NM finalist.

Agreed, if it was a school day test there would be no discussion he would take the test. I think we will have to decide the day that we get his SAT result if he is going to do it or not, love the short window!

Ha- he has zero interest in engineering- he is taking it as a replacement to avoid physics because he has even less interest in physics :rofl: