Parents of the HS Class of 2024

It is.

Gotta love the college board, SAT scores “pending”, they say some time within the week, YIKES! Supposedly this is normal and they release in batches and should be released tonight but what are they thinking!

1 Like

Take a look at the CSUs as well.

1 Like

Score inflation is real.

The latest SAT percentiles: 2022 PDF has the bottom of the 99th User percentile at 1530.

2017 PDF has 1480
2018 PDF has 1500
2019 PDF has 1510
2021 PDF has 1520

I’ve been following scores since the Redesigned SAT was introduced in 2016, and it surprises me that there is such a huge difference over this short time period. I should include that the definition of User percentile in 2022 is now:

SAT User Percentiles are based on the actual scores of students in the past three graduating classes who took the current SAT during high school. These user percentiles are reported on tests completed in August 2021 through June 2022.

vs 2019:

SAT User Percentiles are based on the actual scores of students in the past three graduating classes who took the current SAT during high school. These user percentiles are reported on tests completed in August 2019 through June 2020.

vs 2017:

SAT User Percentiles are based on the actual scores of students in the graduating class of 2017 who took the new SAT (first offered in March 2016).

I didn’t find 2020. I suppose 2021 could be affected by fewer testers during the pandemic, but I wouldn’t think that should make a big difference. And wouldn’t explain the 30-point jump from 2017 to 2019.

Just an observation as I wait to hear from S about scores (he probably won’t check them till late tonight when he’s home)

2 Likes

BC has about 9500 undergrads

1 Like

Just as more students are taking APs and the GPAs have been increasing, could it be that the SAT and ACT average scores have also risen?

2 Likes

No, it shouldn’t. It’s a standardized test. There shouldn’t be a 50-point difference over 5 yrs, or a 30-point difference over 3 yrs, absent a rigorous “recentering” process like the one in the 1990s.

1 Like

Wesleyan? Northwestern?

1 Like

And BC honors college is very focused in classics.

1 Like

BC has extensive core requirements, but small clarification, no longer has an honors program.

Ok apologies, they definitely did when my older d was applying about 5 years ago.

I checked and same response, why publish today’s date if they will release within a week from today?

annoying right! supposedly there will be another mass release this evening, we will see!

1 Like

Still waiting for scores here with the next week notice as well.

I’ve been trying to figure out what DD24 wants in a a college. She thinks she wants to do animation but wants to do the math and physics involved as well. She likes art and animation and spends a lot of time making things with realistic motion. She says she doesn’t want to go to a strictly art school.

Otherwise she would like to be in the north, a city, and have a variety of languages she can also study.

Any thoughts?

I would argue we are in the middle of a ‘recentering’ process right now. It’s possibly a trickle down effect from the test optional movement. All the students targeting MIT, and most other top 100 schools were going to test very high, and are still taking the test (sometimes many times). But a large number of students that are targeting only CA publics or other publics that are test optional either didn’t take the test, or got a low score and decided not to try and retake. In both those cases the number of lower scores is reduced.

4 Likes

It is soooo annoying, has she looked at the Tufts BA/BFA program? Emerson is great for animation but none of the other things and outrageously expensive for what it is.

It is a crazy process. High stats kids have to get very high numbers to bother submitting which will continue to shift the numbers higher unless all schools follow MITs model. So kids who will not score in the high average range will no longer bother to even test since it will not get merit or help their applications, if my son had not done as well as he did on practice tests we would have skipped the whole thing and if he does not get near his target on this one attempt he will go test optional or try one more time next summer.

2 Likes

Wesleyan? Vassar?

1 Like

and his score just came through! glad I have been complaining about it all day! We are done!!!woohooo!!!

8 Likes

CMU
The New School and the Parsons School of Design within it

1 Like