Parents of the HS Class of 2024

Thanks for the suggestions. We will take a look!

I believe USC school of cinematic arts and NYU Tisch have strong animation and access to math and physics

Ours came as well. We have ACT tomorrow and good luck to all who are testing

2 Likes

Hope things go well!

my son didn’t do well on this one, will try another time.

1 Like

Good luck for the next!

1 Like

My son was disappointed too. Tough talks today. Hugs.

Done too. (It’s tempting to say, we know from practice tests that he is capable of scoring a smitch higher on one of the sections, maybe shoot for a superscore. Just the luck of the test. But objectively, I know that’s ridiculous.)

1 Like

Congrats!!! and yes, could possibly get 20 points higher on the math but could have gotten 20 points lower on the english so

2 Likes

Congrats! Does that mean he’s taking the PSAT next month?

Got the score here too. It’s a good score, but less than we were hoping. I think she could have done better on the English sections, based on practice tests. And the math was on the high end of what I expected. I know she can improve with practice there, as she’s pretty rusty.

2 Likes

For those who got the score you wanted, you eliminated a big burden for the upcoming year and for those who didnt, you have multiple shots over the next year.

It’s just one test and most schools superscore or can go test optional.

3 Likes

Yes, he is signed up, this years cut off for NMSF in NJ is 223 so the likelihood of success is extremely small but he proved himself pretty good at standardized tests so it is worth a single try. The difference in cut off between NJ, NY, and Ct is surprising to me, three or four points make a big difference.
I do think that he may take the SAT again at the end of next summer, his score is over the 50% and close to the 75% for all of the schools he is looking at so there is zero pressure, but one wonders if 20 or 30 more points will make a difference. Also wonder if a test with zero pressure will go up or down by a few points.

1 Like

Many colleges will still use it for merit scholarships. From talking with friends, I think the ones with good scores did better than those who were optional, as far as merit goes.

3 Likes

Good luck! My daughter’s signed up, but we have some work to do before that test. She’s on board and we both know she can get there. Then it comes down to a good test day or not. It’s a lot of hoping for that one day. But worth a try.

Her math class is reviewing algebra 2 and that will help. I need to get her working on more of that and just doing problems.

1 Like

Do you know about the real tests on reddit?
https://app.box.com/s/kzojtak9pw308p6rc75pfkivoaxcmnen

1 Like

I did not. Thank you! I had 2 downloaded from College Board and a bunch of SATs, but this is great!

1 Like

At our HS you take PSAT sophomore year and that’s it. Is that weird? Juniors took it with S24 last year only b/c their sophomore year it wasn’t being offered b/c of covid. He also did not do well at all. He is only now doing algebra 2 so hopefully that will mean he does better when he takes the actual SAT in March. He is doing a prep class beginning in December b/c it is the only way he will actually prepare for it. If we leave it to him to do on line practice tests, use study books, etc. he just will not do it.

2 Likes

That is weird, junior year is when you qualify for national merit status so that puts kids who are good test takers unable to qualify.
Good luck with the prep class! My S had a 400 point improvement between psat and sat so time, algebra 2, preperation and taking practice tests definitely makes a difference

2 Likes

Test optional could have such an effect and maybe exacerbates this - which if true would be problematic - though this was also happening prior to test optional. Prep scholar has a chart with the percentiles from 2016 to 2021 (though I am always skeptical of their data, this chart may be accurate; I don’t think I can link it. 2016 looks more inflated too but my guess is that data is not comparable, came from the studies before the test actually debuted.)

I believe taking it a second time could help if you’ve done well on the former exams, but for some particular reason, didnt get a high score.

Our SAT math tutor got a 1490 on his 1st attempt and then a 1580 on his 2nd. He said he just felt much more relaxed the second time.

Obviously if you’re at or above 1550, you probably wont improve much as a single question here or there will get you to about the same score.

1 Like