Parents: what do you wish you knew when your child was 5?

First, apologies for this slightly side comment, but let’s not sink into this ‘adopted kids are more like the bio parents’ thing. It’s grossly unfair and research shows all sorts of influences on kids. That includes the value of an open mind.

One thing not mentioned yet. Another parent told me flat out to “be the home their friends visit.” She said, not only do they get to host (special to your kid, special to the guest,) but you get a chance to observe them in action, see how they interact, etc. Not hovering.

For us, this was amazing. At 5 or so, it was just an hour of play. Not much later, it became sleepovers. They’d go to bed early and a parent would pick theirs up at the crack of dawn. So not a long drawn out thing.

We found so many crave peer interactions in a casual setting. This is different than playing in an after-school program or what’s gained from, eg, team sports or group music lessons. And it’s not hard to feed them or keep an eye on an extra kiddie.

If did give me a chance to “model” (as chief hostess.) My girls did pick up both some social skills and a social confidence, that balance.

2 Likes

Actually, algebra 1 in 9th grade typically leads to precalculus in 12th grade. Starting algebra 1 in 8th grade or doubling up geometry and algebra 2 in 10th grade after starting algebra 1 in 9th grade would be for students who really wants to get to calculus in 12th grade.

If the OP’s username indicates living in San Francisco, the school district there does have an option where students taking algebra 1 in 9th grade can reach calculus in 12th grade by taking an algebra 2 + precalculus combined course in 11th grade: High School Pathways

But it is way too early to be thinking about math sequencing for a 5-year-old kid, unless the kid is a math super-prodigy. Most school districts do not begin math tracking until much later (but be aware of when they actually start doing it in your school district).

The one academic subject that is commonly started in high school or college that is advantageous to start much earlier is foreign language, though this is most possible and convenient if the home includes someone who speaks the foreign language on a regular basis at home (commonly immigrant parents), so learning happens “naturally”, rather than in the context of formalized additional course work.

Little kids are also amazing sponges with foreign language learning. It can be very quick, depending on how it’s done. And it can be a lot of fun for them.

2 Likes

My advice: Let your DD try everything that interests them. And it’s ok for her to quit when she loses interest. Give her lots of down time to learn to entertain herself and explore her creativity.

What I wish I’d done differently is foreign language immersion. We tried a Spanish tutor at a very young age but did not stick with it as I didn’t feel like my DD was learning Spanish. Turns out she’s very good at foreign languages and could have picked up a couple more had we found better programs or done one of the bilingual programs when she just started school.

1 Like

Haha! I WISH I had instilled better skills at working around the house when they were 5.

6 Likes

I would disagree about the foreign language immersion. Child3 did school based language immersion for K and 1. They were really handicapped with their English language skills in the later elementary grades. If there is someone in the home who speaks another language or parents want to send their kids to Saturday school or have a tutor, great! But I would not choose language immersion in place of English language learning at a young age.

2 Likes

What would we have done differently? Not much. My lads all turned out very well and when looking back, we are thankful for how things worked out because we certainly didn’t pre-plan it!

H and I loved travel and always took our kids with us except for once per year on our anniversary - then Grandma watched them most years (Grandma lives in another state). Our kids grew up experiencing all the things H and I thought kids should see. Things like mountains (eastern and western US are different types), prairies, palm trees, rain forests, deserts, real snow (kids were born in FL, though we later moved north), oceans - from more than one spot, lakes, rivers, various geologic formations, history via museums and ruins. We hardly ever stayed in resorts (did Disney a few times, but our kids soon learned they liked other things far more than Disney). We camped (made it affordable), hiked, and did long road trips avoiding interstates. Our kids did NOT have electronics for these road trips. They looked out the window and invented their own game “trading” resources they spotted. They were at “home” essentially anywhere - on a metro, in the woods, or at the Dry Tortugas where we had one rule - they couldn’t go snorkeling without a buddy. Our oldest was 13 at that time, our youngest 9. We got scuba certified a couple months after youngest turned 10. One memory I have is being at Volcanoes NP when youngest’s class at school was studying volcanoes. He was their “on the spot reporter.” I’m pretty sure he “learned” more about volcanoes, esp since we also later went to Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, and Lassen (all in different ages of having erupted in the past).

We live on a farm, so the kids pitched in to help all the time - outside and inside. It was never “chores” really, it was life. They knew what they were doing was needed. Animal lives depended on it - or our food source with gardening. Again, no electronics.

We read to our kids - one ended up being a voracious reader, the other two didn’t. All three are very, very smart so I’m not sure there’s much difference. Only one played violin for a couple of years. I appreciate that my parents (both band teachers) allowed me to quit piano lessons in first grade so I never pushed music on my kids, but we play a lot of music on the radio and enjoy musicals.

All three did soccer once per week with games on Saturdays for two seasons per year. H coached after the first year. This was local - no travel.

All three learned chess (their interest), but didn’t start until 7th grade (give or take a year). They went on to “be” the team at the high school, doing their part to give the school a state win one year (5th the next with one of my lads getting the individual win). I never realized how good they were, so that is one of my regrets - we didn’t take them to other competitions. I didn’t know those existed. From college age on they were beating world rated competitors online. I’d have loved to have seen what they could have done. Our school just did local school competitions.

Electronics are easy for kids to pick up later on. Mine all do just fine with them - oldest worked in IT for a while and can still fix anything. He now earns money gaming online (leading games). Middle (finishing med school this year) has written code for some of his research. Youngest has a bit of his permaculture farming on it. None are hooked on TV or have much interest in it. In their free time they are out hiking, playing board games, reading, or similar.

All three have really high IQs, and are also loved natural leaders.

We “lucked” into it. We loved travel and opted to spend our money there rather than have a nice house or fancy clothes (or whatever). We have just one bathroom in an old house (yet all 5 of us are still alive) and the carpets/old vinyl floors are torn. I opted to not work full time often to have time to travel. H is an engineer and could support us. When the company he worked for didn’t want him gone quite so much he ended up forming his own company - best move he ever made.

The three boys are still great friends and really fun game players. Letting them develop their minds when they were young by exposing them to so many things has allowed them the ability to do whatever they want now.

People tell us their kids would “never like what we did” and would complain, etc. Maybe. We brought our kids up thinking it was “typical life.” They loved it - even now in hindsight. Friends of theirs tell them how lucky they are. Kids at my school tell me they wish they were my kids. The key might be having to bring them up this way rather than trying to change to it later. For us it was just how our family operated.

No real regrets - except we’d have opted to not get them involved in gymnastics when they were really young. That was a money and time waster for what we wanted in life. YMMV

3 Likes

This is why Americans suck at foreign languages. It’s much harder to become proficient later. Better to start them young like the rest of the world does. It doesn’t hurt their English skills.

3 Likes

We read to our kids and had a lot of books in our lives. Libraries and book stores were and are favorite destinations. Both kids still love reading and learning. Each got a library card as soon as child could write his/her own name.

We let the kids opt in or out of what they chose. I did require both kids take swimming lessons from age 2 until both could swim to the side of any pool they were likely to be in (safety—too many friends and relatives have pools plus we live on an island—lots of water).

Both played neighborhood league soccer and basketball from about 5 until the end of grade school. Both tried scouts—S stuck with it until he made Eagle as a SR. D dropped when the girls got cliquish and mean.

We traveled a lot with our kids, from when they were 6 months old. We visited a lot of national parks, which they will love.

We did try saving lots of money and even bought state zero coupon bonds that would mature when they kids began college. When Roth IRAs were available, we started one for each kid. It was very freeing to have enough money to allow our kids pretty wide choices of Us.

1 Like

I have looked back on many aspects of my life and thought I would have them differently, especially when it came to my own marriage, but I have to say I think I did well with my kids (if I may say so myself). They got the best education possible. They did the EC they wanted and excelled in it. I worked extremely hard, but we had a lot of family time together (family meals, movie nights) and we traveled quite a bit (2-3 trips a year). Both of them went to their top choice college without any debt and are doing well now.

The only thing I would change is not to sweat over too many little things. I worried too much and probably didn’t enjoy their childhood as much. I am going to be a grandma soon (in a month). When D1 gets stressed, I will remind her to take it easy.

5 Likes

The thing I look back on most fondly is backpacking with the kids in the Sierra Nevada every summer from first grade onwards. Lots of great memories, but it also taught them independence and persistence as well as an appreciation of the outdoors. They stopped wanting to/having time to go for a while in high school so it was good to start early. For D in particular it influenced her college choices and what she’s likely to do afterwards (the Christmas present she wanted this year was a down sleeping bag and climbing gear!)

2 Likes

Adding in that mine did swimming lessons at the Y from pretty much as young as they would allow. To us, knowing how to swim was a must.

3 Likes

Our schools start tracking in 7th, most of my kids tested into algebra 1 for 7th, so took AP calculus junior year, only 1 took BC calculus as a senior, the others took AP stat. By the time my younger kids were in 7th, they could take a language, so a few of them took AP Spanish as juniors. There was a big push for math kids to test into algebra in 7th, the pre-algebra teacher was horrible, the algebra teacher amazing. The pre-algebra teacher was also the jv soccer coach, both of my sons worked hard to make it into varsity sophomore year so he was never their coach (super nice guy, just not a good teacher).

Another reminder that we do our best as parents, but there is not always the outcome expected. I think we were wonderful parents to our oldest child, but he developed a severe mental illness that has sidelined him. We have 18 years of very happy memories with him, and now I try to look for the positives in his life every day.

This reminded me of one other message I want to get out to all parents: If you ever have one child go through some huge trauma, such as a severe mental illness diagnosis, get your other kids help!! I don’t care if they’re teenagers and don’t want to go to a counselor. DO IT! We should have done more for our two “well” kids. I hear this from other parents over and over.
My own children have told me they wish they had gone for therapy sooner.
Kids don’t want to be a burden to their parents when their sibling is struggling, but they are always profoundly affected in these situations.

11 Likes

Re: foreign language. You don’t have to start at age five to become proficient. Ask any Peace Corps Volunteer. My kid learned a very difficult African language with the fine way the PC teaches foreign languages. She was functionally fluent after 60 days, and extremely fluent within a year (when we went to visit, our driver commented on her proficiency).

I don’t have any regrets about how we raised our kids. They turned out to be fine young adults, and we are very proud of them.

2 Likes

Well, we’re the outliers here. We had our (surprise) child at 40 and were completely unaware of the blood sport parenting had become. We raised our son the way we were raised in the 50’s and 60’s because we didn’t know any better (or care what anyone else was doing). He never participated in any sports or took any music lessons and, due to DH’s constant travel, we never vacationed. The only out-of-state places our son ever went were to Michigan and California to visit grandparents occasionally, not even every year. On one visit to LA, we took him to Disneyland. That’s the sum total of his travel. Even today, he’s never been out of the country (and we live within driving distance of the Mexican border). Also, we let him roam the neighborhood freely and walk alone to and from school from kindergarten on. Once he had a bike, we didn’t know where he went. The world was his oyster.

He DID join Scouts, though, in kindergarten when he was 5. So that was his lifelong EC, but it didn’t require any participation from me, so I forgot to mention it upthread. I guess Scouts made up for our profound parenting ignorance. :wink:

3 Likes

Totally agree with this. I would just add that this applies to any trauma a family endures. For us it was a sick parent. Our son didn’t want to be any trouble — still doesn’t. Which is lovely but not healthy. It takes work to make sure his needs are tended to.

4 Likes

I didn’t say that, did I? Straw man here.

“Research shows all sorts of influences on kids”. What does that even mean?

You can’t extrapolate anything about how influences work from correlation (“closely related people tend to like similar things”) unless you do a regression analysis. Might be all about modelling, might be all about genetics, might be anywhere in the middle. Unless you factor out genetics in the parent child relationship (and the only way to do that is by comparing a large enough sample of adoptive families) you can’t tell.

And even if the answer may be “somewhere in the middle”, I will posit that modelling is way overrated. Exposure, sure. Teaching habits, sure. Enforcing activities, choosing peer groups, loads of things you can do.

I’m still waiting for my kids to copy cleaning up after myself, doing the laundry, eating vegetables, taking out the compost, carrying the wood in, taking a musical instrument up for joy, taking showers…(some of which is stuff their parents genuinely enjoy).

The habits you care for them to have, you may have to actively teach some of them. That is hard work. Modelling is part of teaching, and may work if a kid feels a genuine inclination to copy. If it’s not working, one may wish to take a more active part in teaching whatever habit it is one cares about, in time to form the habit, as opposed to looking back later and saying “I wish I’d got them into doing chores before it was too late.”

This also goes for kids who have a physical illness. Any kind of long term illness will touch a family in ways that are profound. Our youngest had a rare disease and beat the odds. The years spent during that time changed us. We recognized that others had no idea of the burden we carried during that time. Everything shifted. I have profound compassion for anyone who has any type of illness in their family for any length of time. It’s something no one plans to happen and yet often does.

7 Likes