Penn State, Purdue, Howard, or Cal Poly SLO!?!? Where should I go???

<p>Hi, so it's that time of the year when I have to choose where I want to go to school. So here's the thing:</p>

<p>Penn State University Park: Accepted in Division of Undergraduate Studies; I have to pay $41,000 a year with very LITTLE and almost USELESS loans (this is pretty tough on my family); I'm from California but the school is relatively close to some relatives in New York (I really like that)</p>

<p>Purdue: I could choose to be waitlisted for College of Engineering for fall 2010 and/or guarantee admission for spring 2011 (this is my fault, I applied too late); in Indiana, not very close to any relatives; about $38,000 a year (they didn't mention any aid); ranked the highest for undergraduate engineering out of all the schools</p>

<p>Howard: Accepted into School of Engineering; Legacy Scholarship: covers tuition and fees all four years (very nice of them); in DC so it is somewhat close to relatives in NY; I would very much like to experience an HBCU</p>

<p>Cal Poly San Luis Obispo: Accepted into School of Engineering; VERY close to home (well, at least compared to other schools...I'm from Los Angeles); B-E-A-utiful campus and city (so I've heard from a lot of people); around $32,000 a year (no aid but it's not too bad)</p>

<p>Where should I go??? They are all such good schools, but I was also thinking about trying to transfer to Cornell for sophomore year. Based on location, reputation, and costs where do you guys think I should go? I'VE GOT 4 WEEKS TO DECIDE!!</p>

<p>Thanks in advance :D</p>

<p>You do know that Cornell and Purdue are ranked the same according to US News right? Rankings obviously can/cannot mean anything but Purdue is a very respected school in the Engineering field. I’m pretty sure in some cases, Purdue may be respected more by employers than Cornell is. </p>

<p>If you want whatevers best for your future then I recommend coming to Purdue. I may be a bit biased but I have my reasons for you coming here. Here they go:</p>

<p>-First of all, we will talk about prestige since it does matter. Penn State has a great Engineering program but isn’t on par to Purdue’s. Purdue’s Undergraduate Engineering program was ranked #9 by US News for 2010. Howard is a school I never even heard of but I’m pretty sure their Engineering program isn’t even close to Purdue’s or PSU’s. Cal Poly is a great school also but I would put them a notch below Purdue’s. </p>

<p>-Second of all, it comes to money as well. If PSU costs $41k then seriously forget about it. It’s Engineering program isn’t even close to Purdue’s and Purdue costs $3k less a year which totals to $12k in total that you can save (if you grad. in four years). Howard is a full-ride school but I would still not even consider it, if your going there for Engineering. Unless your family is having a hard time financially and cannot afford sending you to an OOS school or an expensive in-state school then I personally would not even consider it. Cal Poly costs $6k less than Purdue but would the budget cuts affect their programs? I’m pretty sure Purdue will have budget cuts as well but I’m sure they will try to not cut things from the Engineering program in general since it really is their #1 selling point to students in the future. </p>

<p>-Third thing. Which school do you like the most in the general? Choose a school that you really really love since you will be living there for 4 or more years. The tuition for most of the schools are the same except for Howard so what is there to really lose? (I know I’m contradicting my prior comments so no need to criticize me for it, just making a point)</p>

<p>In general, I like Purdue the best. It would be perfect if PSU and Purdue switched locations. My problem is it would be very difficult to handle transportation because it’s so far away from home and any other relatives. I’m not too familiar with Indiana as I am with DC, Pennsylvania, and of course California. And I don’t want to have to stay on campus during breaks. <em>sigh</em> I don’t know…</p>

<p>No doubt. PURDUE.</p>

<p>Being from Jersey I know how you feel with the transportation aspect. The only time you really have to go home would be during winter break. If you make friends and become close with them, you may have the option to go to their house with them. If your friends don’t go home either, you can always do a road trip to Chicago with them. If none of you have a car then you can take Amtrak from Lafayette to downtown Chicago and then split the hotel bill. The campus does get quiet during breaks but you can always make something out of it.</p>

<p>idk imo money talks…howard</p>

<p>You know what? I think I’m gonna settle with Purdue. Now I’m kind of excited and scared at the same time.
Thank you to all of you who replied. I really appreciate your input. :D</p>

<p>Congrats on making your decision!</p>

<p>Wait…now I’m not so sure…</p>

<p>Financial aid?</p>