Penn State to eliminate Fraternity and Sorority oversight

I have to say, I think this is a terrible idea. Penn State is reversing the oversight they put in place after the hazing death of Timothy Piazza six years ago.

At a University as large as Penn State, there cannot be self-governance. I’ve had three kids attend Penn State, and my husband and I are both alumni… I love Penn State. But the stories I have heard from my kids and their friends regarding pledging and hazing on campus, even in recent years, is hair-raising. I know many get many benefits out of Greek Life - but I was certainly glad my kids wanted no part of it.

I think this is a bad look and a bad move on the part of Penn State leadership

Agreed…this is a bad idea.

3 Likes

The university is dropping its extra supervision, but that doesn’t mean the groups will run wild. Twenty two sororities are part of National Panhellenic group, and those sororities are governed by agreement. At Penn State they have their ‘house’ in the dorms, so still have university supervision just like any other student in a dorm would.

Fraternities are usually not in very good compliance, but those in the IFC should be following some rules. Or their insurance companies will cut them off.

Well, that’s reassuring that the sororities are in dorms, and hence under U supervision. After all, we all know that most of the hazing deaths have occurred in sororities! (NOT)

This is just absurd, that the extra supervision of the frats should be dropped. Some young man is going to die of alcohol-related hazing again, not to mention the young women who will experience alcohol-related sexual assault. Can you imagine a group of frat brothers aged 19-22 saying, “Gee, we’d better not have that kegger party. Our insurance company might cut us off!”

I wonder how much extra supervision the university has been providing in the last 6 years. Do they meet with the advisers? Do they meet with the officers of the house? Do they look at budgets and how much was spent on beer?

And yes I do think the members (and the alums who may own the house) care about insurance. That’s how they got control over the sorority houses It is a blanket rule no matter if it is a house on campus, off campus, a floor in a dorm, or just using a room at the university. No alcohol. The members might be drinking down in the basement on their own but they will be thrown out if caught and the charter will be pulled if the house hosts a party with alcohol.

I will bet there was very little oversight unless the frat houses were on university property.

https://studentaffairs.psu.edu/department-directory/office-fraternity-sorority-life/about-community/chapters-councils indicates that:

• 9 out of 35 IFC chapters have some conduct status.
  • 2 out of 20 PHC chapters have some conduct status.
  • 0 out of 7 MCGC chapters have some conduct status.
  • 0 out of 6 NPHC chapters have some conduct status.

My biggest concern is the elimination of the report card, which gave a much clearer picture of what was going on and had actual data.

PSU frats have a very very poor track record of self oversight. They will not amend their ways, as seen this past week with the resurrection IHC sanctioned “State Patty’s Day”. Alumni were at least 50% of that problem,imho, as they indulged and encouraged all sorts of “boys will be boys” behavior. The national chapters pay very little attention to behavior, and do not want to lose the support of rich alumni.

As a long time local, I can give you many many anecdotes but of course that is not a statistic. As cost-cutting measures go, I’d much rather a few mid admins got a pay cut than this program go away.

2 Likes

Tell all of that to the Piazza family, who’s son died at a fraternity ON CAMPUS with a live-in adult advisor.

The external oversight is what is important here. The fraternities governing themselves is how things like this happen because they cover their own butts.