Penn vs. Pitt Nursing

<p>My daughter is trying to decide between these two programs. Both schools have similar programs, to a point. Penn's undergraduate program is rated #1, has the better reputation, better faculty, closer connection to the Children's Hospital, but is much more expensive. Can anyone offer any opinions on these schools/nursing programs? We have visited both...thanks for any insight!</p>

<p>We were in the same boat; we’re from OOS. D chose Penn, and they have met us with need-based aide, though Pitt’s merit aide, especially for a left-coaster, was very difficult to pass up. The students we met at both schools are identically remarkable, same with the faculty. The schools often get together at national and regional events. It is very clear to see that both Nursing programs are positioned to get even stronger in the coming years. Each has an amazing Medical Corridor. We loved both cities very much. I think you hit the jackpot twice!</p>

<p>If everything else is generally equal, I would choose a university that is closer to where a student eventually wants to work. Clinicals not only increase chances of getting hired, but they also allow a student to find out where they would be most comfortable.</p>

<p>Many people on CC stress the importance of reserving your debt capacity for grad school, if you want to attend it. If so, it is desirable to choose a more affordable program that would allow minimal debt, so you can then take out debt for grad school and still afford to live. </p>

<p>Grad and professional school loans are still available from the feds, but they do not offer any subsidies. Therefore, the 6.8% interest starts to accrue soon after you take them out.</p>

<p>I’ll second the opinions/views of both cecilturtle and charlieschm. Both schools are remarkable and you will not regret choosing either. I would base your decision on which school felt like the best fit for your daughter, least amount of debt and whether your daughter is interested in working in either of these cities after graduation.</p>

<p>Congratulations and Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thank you for the responses…Pitt presented a wonderful Admitted Students in Nursing Open House this past weekend. We had a tour of the skills lab and the simulation lab, very impressive. We are from outside of Phila and my daughter did not care that much for the Pittsburgh area. She would prefer to work in the Philly area. My daughter is planning on pursuing a DNP in Pediatrics. She definitely wants to go to Penn…long story short, can anyone in the nursing field or similar, chime in and justify the huge varience in tuition?
Thanks for any help!!</p>

<p>My daughter is a senior at Pitt. She was admitted to three higher ranked schools including one top ten. We told her that we would expect her to take out some loans if she chose one of the schools where we would be full pay or try for one of the government scholarships like SMART. </p>

<p>She said that she did not want to owe anyone anything when she graduated and followed the money to Pitt. Many parents argue that you should have the money talk before the applications are sent. However, you cannot know in most cases how much money might be offered. I think a bit of skin in the game helps some teenagers to decide.</p>

<p>There are so many hospitals–fine hospitals–in Pittsburgh. UPMC is right on the Pitt campus. Pitt has a top 15 medical school. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that teenagers have been indoctrinated to the idea that something that costs more is better.</p>

<p>Great points! Daughter is expected to take out loans to contribute to education, having some accountability is very important! We are in state, just missed merit $$$, she is accepted to Honors College, but it is pretty meaningless.</p>

<p>I don’t think any of us are going to be able to help you with this decision. Clearly your daughter “definitely wants to go to Penn”. You on the other hand seem to be having a difficult time reconciling why Penn will cost so much more than Pitt for only a relatively small difference in quality/reputation. </p>

<p>Parents all across the country face this dilemma every year; send their child to their “dream” school or take a more pragmatic approach and choose the school that is more affordable. FWIW - most students do eventually learn to love whichever school they end up attending. Good luck!</p>

<p>I can make my own decisions, thank you anyway…aglages. I came on this forum to seek information, and to gain knowledge in what is an important decision for my family. I have followed the nursing forum, and valued the responses as my daughter has progressed through the college application process. I appreciate the information that the other members have supplied.</p>