Percentage grade equivalent

<p>Does Bama have a standard grading scale which indicates the percentage equivalent to letter grades? Or does the percent/letter grade equivalency vary with each professor?</p>

<p>The only grading scale I can find on the Registrar’s website is the letter grade on a 4.0 scale.</p>

<p>Each professor has their own grading scale, so for example, a 90 could be an A in one class and an A- in another. Typically, an A- is 90-92.99, an A is 93-96.99, and an A+ is 97+, though this does differ, especially in courses where grades are curved.</p>

<p>That said, Bama uses a modified grading scale where an A- is a 3.66 on the GPA scale rather than a 3.7 and an A+ is a 4.33. Coming from a state where public colleges and K-12 schools aren’t aren’t permitted to give A+ grades, my transfer course GPA went down and I didn’t benefit from getting what would have been A+ grades on typical UA grading scales.</p>

<p>Thank you, SEA_tide!</p>

<p>*Each professor has their own grading scale, so for example, a 90 could be an A in one class *</p>

<p>Absolutely…a prof can curve however he/she wants. </p>

<p>And, no matter how many A+'s you get, your Bama transcript will never be higher than a 4.0.</p>

<p>As an aside…if your child is pre-med, note that AMCAS (the clearinghouse where all non-Texas med school apps go thru) recalculates all GPAs… Texas has their own clearinghouse for Texas-only med schools.</p>

<p>A+ and A’s are the same
A- are 3.7</p>

<p>But… B+ and C+ are given the bonus.</p>

<p>That said, even if a student only has one A-…and the rest A+ and A…the student won’t have a 4.0 once recalculated thru AMCAS.</p>

<p>this can be shocking for pre-med students who might think that their A-'s are ok because they’re balanced with A+'s. It can be shocking to have a 4.0 at your college, but then end up with a 3.8 (or whatever) once recalculated with AMCAS</p>