PG Year For Top (Non Athlete) Student - Pro's'/Con's

Hello, Our student has a 5.2 GPA on a 4.0 scale - huge international level EC’s leadership and national, awards etc so far 34 ACT…went to an independent school that we feel left gaps academically. Nothing glaring that would show up on transcript but more of what his school does not make available (classic literature, rigorous writing etc). We are exploring a PG option to really give him the world class education we want him to have. He is not an athlete. Can you tell me any pros and cons of doing a PG year in this instance at a top boarding school. We would only apply to see if he got into the top few - so only speaking to those. Thank you!

Who is this “we” kemo sabe?

What does he want to do? Because that is a question any school will ask.

6 Likes

I do not have personal experience with PG years and my kids went into college having excellent exposure to classic literature and extensive writing. (we didn’t realize this at the time) This level of instruction was built into the curriculum at their high school and could not be avoided. (No APs - independent prep school) Both my kids felt freshman year of college mandatory humanities courses were “easier” with a lot of repeat of texts read and analyzed in high school - so made for a great start to their college years and carried forward to upper level courses too. One kids is at an Ivy and one at a LAC for reference. It seems like a personal decision and if an area of study for your child requires these higher level skills and is of interest - both my kids are humanities majors in college too. Your child sounds like a strong student already - so not sure if that is what a PG year is really designed for - presume the boarding schools would provide advice/feedback.

1 Like

Why can’t your kid can’t fill these gaps in college, if that is their desire (or just get a writing tutor)?

I also would be shocked if they are not prepared for the college level courses based on what you are saying. Will a very few kids from elite public/private have more writing experience at end of 12th? Quite possibly. Is that a reason to spend all that money for a PG year? I wouldn’t think so, but I am not your kid/you.

Also, PGs are almost always athletes. They would have to really want your kid for some other reason, I think, to get in.

What area is your student showing a gap in this learning? Do you think that he will not succeed at the college level? Does he feel like he won’t? How have past students from his school felt that they were prepared for college? His credentials sound exceptional, to the point of why would he want a PG year. These tend to be for academic needs, athletics, maturity, or international students. Does he want to come into an already established class with just a small handful of new students? Does he want to be on the older side (though there will be many who have repeated a grade? I personally have an issue with this as I have a very young freshman girl. Dating, etc has a lot of rules and challenges for students over a certain age at various schools. What does your son want his next experience to be? Do you think this is a stepping stone to get into a better school? Is he applying to colleges as well? Do you see this as a fall back? Which schools are you considering and why the ones you identified as each school approaches PGs a bit differently?What if he does not get into those schools? Which do you think will fill the gap vs. others that won’t? I guess I think you and your son need to assess all the above to see if this makes sense and consider how you will package it up to the schools for it to make sense for them.

1 Like

We went through the same decision making process with my son, although he was not a top student. Ultimately he went to college and it was definitely the right choice. Another year of high school would have brought the same challenges he’s received in college. There are many students at top colleges who have had an education similar to your son’s and there are supports in place to help. Recently I went to my alma mater (top 10 LAC) and they had a talk about the type of students they are getting — in their quest for diversity they are taking kids who have written 20 page term papers and others who have never been assigned a paper before. Obviously there is some catch-up to be done with the latter, but they have been successful at helping them get up to speed.

1 Like

If seeking perfection for your student, you may do more harm than good.

Anyone above age 18 with a “5.2 GPA on a 4.0 scale-huge international level EC’s leadership and national, awards etc. so far 34 ACT” does not need to attend a PG year at Andover or Exeter or Lawrenceville or anywhere else.

I encourage you to let your student continue to grow both intellectually and socially in a more appropriate environment for one of his [presumed] age and accomplishments.

If the near term goal is to develop stronger writing skills and an understanding of classic literature, then consider St. John’s College in Annapolis, Maryland or in Santa Fe, New Mexico or maybe Thomas Aquinas College in California.

A more mainstream recommendation would be Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania for a serious academic experience. Princeton University, Amherst College, Williams College, Carleton College, the University of Chicago, Columbia University, & the University of Pennsylvania are other schools to consider to facilitate further intellectual growth.

My interpretation of your post is that you are trying to create a perfect base for your student before progressing on to college or university. This is not healthy for the student’s development intellectually or socially in my opinion.

Try to reverse your thinking; get away from the thought of perfection and focus on growth. If it helps, think about graduate and professional degrees after completion of an undergraduate degree.

7 Likes

My son attended a boarding school with PGs. They found it difficult to assimilate into the social circle because most of the students had already known each other for years.

Academically it is unlikely to help – he will start college applications within 2 months of arriving. How will he find teachers that know him well enough? It sounds like his grades are fine. The college counselors will try to help him, but note that T20 colleges acceptances from top boarding schools have been declining in recent years.

Most PGs at boarding schools are athletes. And they are there for a specific reason either academically or to grow physically for another year. Most of the PG athletes have verbal offers from college coaches.

Overall its an expensive way to spend nearly $70k without much gain. If you want to polish certain skills (writing, literature) why not let him take online classes like CTY? Not sure a year of boarding school will help.

7 Likes