Physics Department at UA

<p>Hello. Does anyone have insight into the physics department? I see it is rated #15 according to a rating by John Hopkins but also see it placed lower at other sites. Relative is in decision making process but also admitted to Cal Poly and UCSD. </p>

<p>Any input, particularly from current or former students would be great! Thank you.</p>

<p>I’m currently a sophomore in the college of engineering here at UofA. All of us Engineers hate the Physics dept. Especially the Introductory Mechanics class, Phys141. This class is designated for engineers, so maybe i’m not exactly the credible person to ask. The Physics dept. usually dislikes the engineers, because we just apply the things they research on. I.e. maybe steal their research to make money haha. </p>

<p>However, I will say this: My TA from freshman year Material Science Engineering class was a Physics major. He said the department was very “cold.” Maybe he meant, “elitist” or something. But he said he switched when he couldn’t take any more of them. He switched to MSE and didn’t look back and hasn’t regretted it since.</p>

<p>Thank you ArizonaAero, much appreciated. If anyone else has thoughts, feel free to share. It is helpful :-)</p>