Please give me some advice about my transfer thought and school! [international student, <$30k, finance or economics]

Hello! I am an international student from China. I already spent two years in a Chinese university (approximately 55 credits after certification), and I found that I did not like the academic environment, so I listened to a relative recommended come to a CC now. But I don’t want to cause a huge financial burden to my family and I thought the UC system was too expensive for me. So I decided to prepare for the Spring transfer to BYU or some cheap public university, and some lower ranked LAC that can give me a scholarship. I think my dream school is BYU. Can you give me some advice about my transfer thought and school? I do not familiar with LAC. Thank you very much!

What are your grades like up to now? Most people here in the US will not be familiar with Chinese grading scales, so it would be helpful to know how your grades compare to other students. Are you in the top 50%? Top 20%? Top 10%?

Also, what is your major?

Are you open to considering Canada in addition to the USA?

Do you have any results from the TOEFL or a similar test?

A bit more information will make it easier for us to give you useful information.

Also, what amount would be comfortably affordable to your family?

International transfers do not as a rule qualify for scholarships. It would depend, of course, whether you need a 20k scholarship and can afford 50k, or whether you need a 50k scholarship…

Why BYU? Are you LDS (Is that even allowed in China?) Or are you a Christian wanting a strict/conservative, religious environment?

What would your major be?

Thank you for your reply! My Chinese university is about Top 20% in China, and my grades is in the top 20%. My major is finance or economic.

Yes, I can consider Canada, but I’m not very familiar with Canada university. I have TOEFL score and it is 86. :blush:

1 Like

I don’t want to exceed 30k…:cry:

1 Like

Yes, I know international students are hard to get scholarships, especially since I don’t have outstanding abilities.:joy: I am not LDS, I have no religion(I think most Chinese like this), but I can accept a strict religious environment. BYU tuition is cheap and has the advantage in finding a job. My major is finance or economics. Thank you for your reply! :smiley:

BYU is a good university, but it is the flagship school for the Mormon church, which has very strict rules, to the point of governing and controlling many aspects of the lives of its members. I have no idea if they would admit you - they mostly take members of the church. Do not count on them taking you, and even if they did, I think that tuition is higher for non-members. It’s in an isolated location, too.

I got it… Some Chinese students who are not Mormon members are admitted to BYU, and I heard some feedback about life at BYU. Although the tuition for non-members is higher than members, it’s lower than almost all the other American universities. It’s about 6k. Very friendly to me. Thank you for your reply, I will seriously consider what you say!