Pomona College vs Connecticut College

HS senior really interested in these two colleges and just wanted some opinions!

Because of some family situation I can’t visit these two so any reply would be really helpful.

After doing research on liberal arts schools these two really caught my attention. I’m planning to major in Economics and International Relations.

I loved that for Pomona you can take courses from different claremont colleges and the fact that 100% of IR majors study abroad. Being a POC, I also love how diverse Pomona is.

Although Conn is behind in rankings, it seems to have a very strong Economics and IR department and I loved the strong career support and funding as well as their unique international relations program.

My question is although Conn is behind in rankings, is there a huge difference in prestige and how good the schools are? (Would it make a difference for employers etc)

If you have visited both or one of these campuses what would you say the vibe was like at each and which did you prefer more? What are the differences?

Any other opinions are welcome, greatly appreciated and will be extremely helpful as well!

Thank you.

Yeah, there is a big difference in prestige, so if that is really important to you then Pomona is pretty attractive. But since either one of these schools will probably get you where you want to go in life, the more important question is which is school is better for YOU. All these small schools have a unique personality so it is cool that you have found a couple that appeal to you. If you are looking for another school with an interesting international focus, Dickinson has some unique approaches (e.g. a joint program with the military to study and provide opportunities in peacekeeping - Side by Side with Peacekeepers | Dickinson College).

2 Likes

Pomona’s economics department appears to be significantly stronger than Conn’s if considered by faculty publishing in the field: Economics rankings: US Economics Departments at Liberal Arts Colleges | IDEAS/RePEc.

I’m confused. Does this mean you’ve already applied to these two colleges? I’m pretty sure the deadlines have passed.

I’ve already applied but wanted more info/opinions on my top 2 choices!

thank you for the recommendation :slight_smile: I actually applied to Dickinson as well! Prestige isn’t too important to me, however, I just want to go to a school where employers/grad schools know I went to a good college if that makes sense.

With applications to Pomona, Connecticut College and Dickinson, you appear to be on the right track with respect to the study of international relations: