Poor choice in 9th grade course selection?

Hey there everyone. I’m making this post to ask whether I made a mistake taking Medical Terminology instead of AP Biology freshman year. I can’t change it now but if you’ve read my previous posts you know that I’m a grade ahead in science. I could have taken AP Bio this year but chose not to because I didn’t want to burden myself too much. Instead, now I’m in a class that is 4.0 weighted and harder than most AP level classes at my school. This post is also kinda made on behalf of my friends who like me, are now regretting taking this terrible class as they could have just double-blocked honors biology and AP Biology.

We don’t really know if we screwed it or if we made the right decision and to just suck it up and grind the class out. The teacher admits it’s harder than AP level coursework and we find ourselves memorizing pages upon pages of notes in preparation for tests losing out on family time and other potential extracurriculars.

Below is a rant of middle-school counselors not having a clue about what students should do in high school:

What frustrates me the most isn’t that I’m in the class. It’s that I could have not been. After I passed the exam to test-out of ADV Bio my 8th grade counselor approached me and asked if I would like to be in Regular Chem or Honors Chem. I delightfully said honors and I’m enjoying the class! It’s one of the most intresting things I’ve ever studied in my life. What irritates me is that, they didn’t even think to give me the option to take AP Biology alongside it. “If you want to be a doctor, take medical terminology!” They don’t even think to give students another option. My parents are not from here and I’m the oldest child so I don’t know how this stuff works at all. Before 2 weeks ago I was not even aware taking AP Biology in 9th grade was possible.

I guess there is some upside to it, I can be better prepared for whenever I take it in the future after I have a couple AP’s under my belt but still, it frustrates me so much and I’ve been losing sleep thinking about how I could have been in the class learning so much more than this on-level course that’s so hard even the teacher admits it’s unfair.

Sorry for this, but I just need a couple of responses to gauge my level of screwed. Rant end. And I apologize for making ya’ll read this nonsense but it’s to the point where I feel like I could have had a much easier year because apparently, at my school even AP Biology is easier than med term and now here I am on a weekend with ~4ish hours of work to do when I could have been learning a new skill or playing a game.

I guess I don’t really get why you think you are screwed. You took a class you don’t seem to be enjoying as much as you thought you would. It happens. It will happen again. That’s life. Do you best in the class and move on.

1. Please re-read the replies in your other post. As long as you complete a sequence of bio, chem, and physics in HS you are fine.

2. Don’t spend time and energy agonizing over something that can’t be changed.

Thanks for the replies, I guess there really is no choice but to just do the work. Sorry for wasting your time.

And we don’t allow posts asking questions on behalf of others. They’ll need to ask their own questions from their own accounts.

As for you, you can post on your existing thread if necessary (which I personally don’t think it is)

Closing

1 Like