Pre med advice- Traditional route, advice re: preparation

Neuroscience will cover many, probably most, med school pre-reqs.

However, post college employment opportunities for neuroscience aren’t as good as a plain bio major.

Actually math and philosophy majors do really well in med school admission too–

See: https://www.aamc.org/media/6061/download?attachment

But as with music majors, there is al whole lot of selection bias involved.

(Because non biology majors must actively choose to take med school pre-reqs which are far outside their major requirements, the group of music/philosophy/math majors who apply to med school are a strongly self-selected group.)

2 Likes

Biology majors mostly do not have that good major-related employment prospects at the bachelor’s level to begin with.

2 Likes

^^^Truth!

That’s why you were wise to seek out counsel and got a lot of good information. :slight_smile:

Your child has three great options. My pro level tip would be to avoid schools that grade on +/- scale if you have the option. So, avoid schools that give A-/B+ etc. and choose one that has only letter grades. Just so that you understand, a A- (93 score) at school #1 will give you a GPA of 3.7. Whereas a grade of A with the same 93 score will give you a 4.0 at school B.

Regarding career options after graduation, a basic biology or chemistry degree will not lead to many high paying jobs. Reality is that many prospective bio/chem kids after second or third semester in college look ruefully at their ~3.3 GPA, lack of job prospect after graduation, and overall grind required to make it to and through med school choose to do something entirely different with their lives.

3 Likes

Thanks for this info. So if just for sake of knowing, if med school admission is not a concern, what major in science fields is better job wise (only UG degree is enough)- considering we want to stick to STEM related majors as a choice. …probably all engineering level degrees would fall into this category or comp science do not need additional studying …

1 Like

Math- particularly applied math- is a perennial. A kid with a solid math degree can end up in data analysis, finance, biostatistics, head on to the actuarial track, market research, etc. There are some highly regarded certificate programs (shorter, cheaper than a Master’s) which can help if the new grad needs extra training. I know people who invested in an MBA (two years for a fulltime, expensive program) only to learn that the CFA (study on your own and your employer will often give you the time off right before the exam) would have been just as effective!

1 Like

I see here on this site itself, kids having done math major as a pre med and were successful matriculants to med schools. Thats a great option. Thanks!

Math (applied), statistics, computer science, various engineering majors tend to be the STEM majors with better major-related job prospects, but economic and industry cycles could mean that the unlucky ones graduate into a recession (general or specific to industries looking for their major). Of the basic sciences, physics majors tend to do better than biology or chemistry majors, but usually because their math and engineering-adjacent skills can get them into some jobs that like those skills, not because of a specific need for BA/BS-level physics skills.

1 Like

If your child want to stick closer to biology, consider bioinformatics and biotechnology.

Another area to look at is data science. (No overlap with biology, but it has strong job prospects.)

1 Like

@Aum2022
I knew a pre-med kid who did a double major from state college and went to T5 after a gap year. What’s Easy for Some is Difficult for Others. If a Premed kid’s goal is to get into medical college, a double major will obviously add extra rigor and could possibly dent the GPA, eventually complicating acceptance into MD college. These low GPA premed undergrads may need to enroll in post-back programs in which they re-take upper-level undergraduate courses to raise their GPA, if they are interested in MD school application. Some of the post-back programs can also include other benefits, such as advising and MCAT prep. The GPA they earn in these programs is added to their main undergraduate GPA. Premed advisors at the college can provide some advice based on student’s profile. Did you decide on which one for UG premed? Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks! Bioinformatics sounds nice. Will check with UG if these choices are available.

Thank you. We will soon, b/w Case and UR for now…

1 Like

UR has data science, but does not offer bioinformatics at the undergrad level. Bioinformatics is a post grad program only.
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/biomedical-data-science.aspx
Biotechnology could be a certificate program/concentration that your child could earn at the undergrad level alongside a Bio degree.
https://www.sas.rochester.edu/bio/undergraduate/certificates-clusters.html

Case also does not offer bioinformatics as undergrad major. It’s MS level program for students with a data science BS.
https://case.edu/programs/systems-biology-bioinformatics-ms
Case has post-grad certificate program in experimental biotechnology that it offer through the biochemistry department.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this info!
I see that data science also needs a UG degree.
Biotechnology could be a major…associated with biological sciences …if I read it correct. we will probably need to call them and clarify. thanks!

First year courses will largely be the same for premeds no matter what major you pick. You won’t really even have a major at that point. I have not heard of a school where you can’t start a major sophomre either, even for those CS that require a year of intro.

1 Like

If the major has sequenced prerequisites (e.g. engineering majors, foreign languages and literatures if the student does not already know the language enough to start in a more advanced course), then a student who starts the major prerequisites late will likely graduate late.

3 Likes

Apologies if this has already been posted and I overlooked it. This explains the pre-med process, requirements and course sequences for various majors at Case. There should be similar information at all the schools you are considering.

ETA: The overall process should be similar everywhere: required coursework, clinical experience, MCAT, GPA, etc as others have already addressed.

1 Like

Thank you all for great info!

Asking the same question as before, volunteering this summer before starting in fall should count if volunteering continues (at the same place/clinic) for the rest of the year? and not just end with summer?
If that is the case, we can get started at least and then carry on with it during the freshman year on a regular basis? Am I thinking right? I know previously we said it does not count …if not continuous …

Yes. Perhaps this summer volunteer activity will be something your student can continue on school breaks while in college.

1 Like